No announcement yet.

Depressed in Wisconsin, Please help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depressed in Wisconsin, Please help!!!

Hi,
    I just joined this forurm this morning. Little history of me first off. I am in great shape avid weighlifter and martial artist. I am 29 years of age and have had my 2nd back surgery 3 weeks ago. My first surgery was august of 2004 which was due to a herniated L4, they went in and cleaned it up. 2nd surgery was 3 weeks ago JAnuary 9th 2006. My original problem was pain on left side radiating all the way down to my toes. This went away after first surgery but came back soon after. Finally was starting to drag my left foot after jogging 3/4 mile and went back in for another MRI. When the surgeon did this last surgery he opened me up and there was a bone floating on top that was broken off of my spine. He put in the plate and in addition had to put two rods in to support the spine due to this bone being broken off. My week post op appointment I was suffering some right side nerve pain and had mentioned this to them. They said it was normal and would go away. Now 3 weeks out it is getting severe and intolerable. I am EXTREMELY concerned. I find it hard to believe this is normal when I never had any nerve pain before on my right side. If I point my chin down or try to raise my foot it is intense all the way up to my incision point on the right side. I have been doing nothing but laying on ice and walking as told to do by surgeon. They want to start phys. thereapy 6 weeks out. I called yesterday and told the receptionist to have them call me and they never returned my call. I am trying today to get ahold of them anad find out what is going on. Anyone with similiar problems or have any idea if this is just part of the healing process. I cannot sleep and I have a high threshhold for pain. Please Advise!!! Regards, Jeremy

Hi Jeremy...

I'm really sorry that you're in such horrid pain. Do you have scoliosis? If so, has your curve been reduced surgically?

At this point, my recommendation would be to find another surgeon to get a second opinion.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

No I do not have scoliosis. I just got back from the doctor and he is trying me on steroids. I have to get back to him in 2 days to see if the pain subsided at all. He said this will determine if it is a inflammation problem or not. I find it hard to believe it is inflammation being that when you heal it should get better especially with the ice I have been putting on it and walking like I am suppose to. Thanks for listening to me vent this morning. I had no one else to talk to that early! Regards, Jeremy

Comment

Hi...

I know it's difficult to have so much pain after two surgeries, but you need to give it time. I'm really not all that familiar with spine surgeries for other than scoliosis, but I do know that most post-op pain goes away after awhile. If yours doesn't start getting better, I really would recommend getting a second opinion. It might not buy you anything other than peace of mind, but that can be worth a lot.

Best of luck!

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Yes, I understand that. If things are not better by friday with the steroids they are going to do another MRI. I find it hard to believe the steroids will work, I think it is more than that. During the healing process the inflammation is suppose to subside not increase. The nuerosurgeon was at a loss when I went in by him. He said it could be a number of things including a hemotobin I think that is the correct prononciation, or a contusion on the nerve or even just scarring. Thanks for being understanding. I hope I can get to sleep tonight or maybe Iwill be typing more in the wee hours of the morning. Thanks again, Jeremy

Comment

Working...
          X