Chronic "muscle knot"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronic "muscle knot"

Ever since my last surgery, I've had a constant "muscle knot" in on the left side (same side as curve). I've tried everything from physical therapy to swimming to heatpads to massage to painpills and muscle relaxants. Recently, I had MRIs taken, and the radiologist said all he saw was muscle thickening. I requested a copy of the report, and it only mentions bone problems and nothing about the muscle. It is very painful, and it is worse with stress and lack of sleep. It is usually the size of a golf ball and is easily felt under the skin. I have now asked 3 docs about this, and I'm medical school myself, so no medical advice seems to be helping. Has anyone else experienced this, and, if so, what have you done to relieve it? I'm going ask another family practice doc about it soon to get another opinion. I'm 22 and I've been in pain as long as I can remember, and I'd like to find a solution.

Katie

Posterior fusion '99, removal '00, anterior fusion '00
    47* pre-op, 70* between ops, 31* currently
    ScoliMed is Katie
    22 years old

Diagnosed at 13, thoracic 38, lumbar 49
    Posterior fusion 1999
    Failed, lumbar curve to 70
    Posterior removal 2000
    Anterior fusion 2000, thoracic 26, lumbar 37
    Still in pain, tried almost everything!
    Currently in medical school

Katie...

Where, exactly, is the knot, and what type of surgery (anterior, posterior, A/P) did you have that made the knot appear?

--Linda
    Last edited by LindaRacine; 02-01-2006, 11:36 AM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

It is about 3 inches left of midline, and it is below my ribs but above my iliac crest. I noticed it after my anterior fusion. However, I did have a hook loose in my soft tissue from the posterior fusion that was discovered during rod removal, and I think it was near that location.
      ScoliMed is Katie
      22 years old

Diagnosed at 13, thoracic 38, lumbar 49
      Posterior fusion 1999
      Failed, lumbar curve to 70
      Posterior removal 2000
      Anterior fusion 2000, thoracic 26, lumbar 37
      Still in pain, tried almost everything!
      Currently in medical school

Comment

Hi...

I wonder if it's an incisional hernia (not a true hernia, also known as a ventral hernia or abdominal wall defect).
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Katie. I've had one severe knot since I can remember, it runs the length of my spine on the right side. No amount of work on the part of my husband (best massage therapist ever!) or physical therapy helps. The only thing I was ever told was that a muscle there atrophied and possibly other muscles are overcompensating. But it feels like a rock!

Comment

I have a huge muscle knot all up and down my left side too. I've had it forever! i have tried stretching, massage, and everything, too. I'd also love to here any comments about this.

Also, if you have the knot on one side, does anyone else have a different pain on the opposite side, like it constantly needs to be stretched or something?

Comment

Muscle knot

I have a huge muscle knot over my left posterior iliac area. I am very small and have a short waist, so there's only a couple inches between my upper pelvic bone and the bottom of my rib cage. When it gets bad and gets into my ribcage, it hurts to breathe. Valium is the only thing that helps loosen it for me. After a lifetime of Flexeril, a very low intermittent use of 5 mg. Valium helps me alot. My surgeon doesn't like it, but my family doctor controls my pain management now and he says my low dose is fine and not in any way abusive or addictive. Once again, if you're taking the meds for the right reason, all you get is relief ... NOT HIGH!!! Also alternating heat and ice helps sometimes. Muscle knots are the worst! They are the biggest source of my pain.
              45 y/o female, retired RN
              1st scoli surgery '75, double curves, 56 & 52 degrees with Harrington Rod T4-L4.
              2nd reconstruction '05, removal of rod, pull L5 into fusion, secured with 12 screws and 2 plates.
              Presently 18 month post-op, doing relatively well.

Comment

Working...
              X