8 weeks post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 weeks post op

Everything is going pretty much as I expected after 8 weeks, except that I am very tired after physical or mental exertion. Before the surgery I would get muscle fatigue that would send me to bed, but I was alert and could read or watch TV, but now I seem to need an afternoon nap in addition to 8 to 10 hours of sleep at night. I'm going to see the surgeon next week and I'm going to get my hemoglobin checked, I did lose a lot of blood during the surgery. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm glad you are doing good. It's nice to hear things are going as expected.
    I haven't had mine yet but my iron levels have been very low all 4 weeks of self blood donations so I understand the tired part.
    I did my last one today and came home, ate a good lunch and passed out till almost 5:30pm!

Hoping someone else who has experienced the after surgery stuff you posted about will post a reply to you.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
    36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
    Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
    Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
    Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
    Curve post op = 20 degrees
    No pain anymore!!
    Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Hi Lindabar,
      I too am glad you are recovering as expected. I think our bodies naturally do what it takes to heals itself, and I think sleeping is a big part of that. My experience was the opposite, I couldn't sleep. A couple of hours here and there.

I had a hard time concentrating on things but I think that may have been related to the pain meds. Sorry I couldn't help you, but I'm sure there will be someone who can.

Pleasant Dreams ,
      Shari

Comment

Hi Lindabar. My name is Mandy. I had surgery in Feb. 2005 and again in Dec. 2005. The natural process for our body is to heal and regenerate itself while we are asleep. This is when most of the fusion, scar healing, etc will take place. Also, if you are still on the narcotic pain meds those can also make you sleepy.
        Having a low iron level can make you exhausted, but there may be more to it than that. I am 6 weeks post op today from just having one rod removed. I am now back to school and waiting to go back to work. I basically do half days. When I had the fusion I was out of everything for 3 months.
        I hope you find out why you are so tired. I would say it is for the recovery or the pain meds, but it could also be the hemoglobin.
        Mandy

Comment

lindabar,

What you are experiencing is completely normal, and I think you should welcome it, your body is just talking to you, and letting you know what you need to heal. I would nap 2-3 times day in addition to a good night sleep of 8-10 hours. I don't know about you, but my pain meds would make me sleepy, so I avoided taking them, except when I was going to bed for the night, just to reassure myself that I will have a good night sleep without an interruptions.

Comment

I, too lost a lot of blood with my surgery. After coming home, I went from sleeping, waking to eat, sleeping, waking to talk on phone (1-2 minutes), sleeping (get the picture?) to not being able to sleep at all (1-2 hours a night, nothing in the daytime). The sleeping is (as was said before) a healing thing. The not being able to sleep (according to my doctor) is my body adjusting and readjusting sleep patterns and healing patterns. I was prescribed sleeping pills (mild) and am doing much better. I take them for a few nights, then skip a night. I start work next Wednesday, and know I will take them the night before. Don't worry! If you have any questions, call your doctor. The big thing is not to worry. I am still tired (surgery in November) by 4 pm, but getting better. Good luck! Linda
            Last edited by crookedspine; 01-27-2006, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X