Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back home from the hospital

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to update you on my surgery that I had last week, hard to believe it was only last Thursday (6 days ago). My surgery went very well, my surgeon was extremely pleased and thinks I will be as well once I see my x-rays in 4 weeks. He was able to correct my rotation more than he anticipated, I noticed a difference right away as my rib no longer sticks out of my chest as much, and from the front I look really straight.

My surgery was posterior approach with fusion of the T6-L3, including bone grafts from my left pelvic bone. I'll try and give you a summary of my last week of progress....

Thursday: Much anticipation, nerves as I enter the hospital for my checkin for an 11:30 am surgery. Did all necesary preparation work the evening before (let me just say I'm not a fan of the fleet enima). My family was expected that the surgery would take 4 hours with an additional hour of prep/closing time before they would see the doctor. The entire process was done an hour early. I was sent to post-op at 3:30. I don't remember anything from when I went into the surgery room until 7pm which is when I left post-op and went to my hospital room, that was the first time I saw my family. It was a much longer day for them.

Friday: With IV's and cathedar in, I was bed-ridden, waking up about every 2 hours and clicking the 'morphine' button anytime I needed pain killers. On a scale from 1-10, pain was at an 8 after a click or two of the morhphine button, it was down to a bearable 5, but I was still out of it. Since my surgery involved my lumbar, a support brace is necessary for the next 3 months, so the brace guy casted me friday morning so the brace was ready for me the next day. Also, Finally got my own private hospital room (makes a huge difference! I requested this when I made my operation appointment but they couldn't guarantee me anything)...I consistently asked for a private one and got one by the second day.

Saturday: Pain is still manageable, but at an '8'. Still on IV's and morhpine. Brace came and began wearing it right away. Now that I had a brace on I was able to get out of bed and sit for 20minutes in a chair. Big accomplishment. Getting myself of of bed is a challenge, probably the hardest part of the recovery.

Sunday: IV's came out, cathedar came out and started to eat a liquid diet. Some nauseausness, due to the light dinner. Also, now taking muscle relaxers and vicadin pills. Only took 1/2 the dosage available, pain was still manageable. Just waiting for the 'gas to pass' so I can start eating more solid foods. ;-) Also, took my first lap around the hospital wing, walking very well, feeling stronger every day.

Running out of time...will write more in a couple days. Just wanted to let you all know that I'm doing very well, and am extremely glad I had the surgery.

Thanks!
    C-White
    53 degree curve
    Posterior correction of T6-L3
    Surgery, Cincinnati Ohio
    Last edited by cwhite; 01-25-2006, 05:06 PM.

Congratualtions C!!!! Sounds like you're doing really well so far! Keep up the great recovery and remember to let your body tell you when to push and when to slow down. Keep us posted on the rest of your recovery!

Comment

very good to hear you are are doing so well! Thkyou for all the information on your surgery & recovery! Do you mind me asking your age? thks, Lynne(46 yrs old)

Comment

Way to Go!!!

Hi C,
        I'm glad to hear you're doing well. I feel like a wimp! I couldn't even think of getting on the computer right after I got home from my surgery. Keep it up.

Regards,
        Shari

Comment

Working...
        X