I'm more confused than ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Emily's MRI is complete!
    We're now waiting on a call from the doctor so we can decide on a surgery date.
    It's been 2 weeks since her MRI ...hmmmm ....maybe I should call him??

Comment

Originally posted by yomomma2
      Finally Emily's MRI is complete!
      We're now waiting on a call from the doctor so we can decide on a surgery date.
      It's been 2 weeks since her MRI ...hmmmm ....maybe I should call him??
      Yeah, her doctor should have gotten the result by now. Typicaly, no news means nothint unusual came up on the MRI. At least, that has been my personal experience -- no news was always a good one.
      30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
      2005 - T50, L31
      bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
      2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
      Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Emily's doctor finally called us...

We have a meeting with him on July 12.

She has her surgery date August 4

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Scared , I guess

Emily seems to be taking it great.

Comment

Hi Yomomma,
          I'm so happy everything seems to be finally moving along for you. It's the waiting that's hard. I'm assumming Emily's MRI turned out normal? Good luck with your doctor's appointment next month. If surgery is in August, that will be here before you know it. Does she have to donate her own blood? Shane was asked to donate two units. He did this every two weeks. With the last one collected two weeks before surgery.
          My son goes back for his 15 month post op at the end of this month. Believe it or not, he is looking forward to seeing his doctor again. His last appointment was six months ago. He hasn't ever went that long without a check-up since first being diagnosed with scoliosis. It's really nice being on this side of surgery. The worries are pretty much gone. Just think, it won't be long and you'll be on this side of surgery too!!!!
          Good Luck with everything.
          Sincerely,
          LeaEvelyn

Comment

hi i know Emily at Spinekids and she will do just fine...
            i just had posterior fusion 9 days ago and i am doing great
            i can sit on the toilet by myself and dress myself.
            i can walk long and sit for hours and i barely sleep lol
            ~Wanda~
            40TL curve pre op
            Posterior Spinal Fusion with Dr. Pablo Marrero
            San Jorge Children's Hospital in Puerto Rico
            June 7, 2006
            post op curve: 16

Comment

HI
              What degrees are Emily's curves anyway? Even as an adult I had people question my decision. They just don't understand because they're not educated about it.
              Jenn
              37 y/o female
              60 degree lumbar
              45 degree thoracic
              1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
              T 5 to S 1
              NYC

Comment

Originally posted by summer
                HI
                What degrees are Emily's curves anyway? Even as an adult I had people question my decision. They just don't understand because they're not educated about it.
                35 top at first but has reduced in size now , (I can't remember what the degree is )
                52 bottom

the surgery will only be on the bottom, involving about 3 vertibrae

Comment

Originally posted by ScoliGal
                  hi i know Emily at Spinekids and she will do just fine...
                  i just had posterior fusion 9 days ago and i am doing great
                  i can sit on the toilet by myself and dress myself.
                  i can walk long and sit for hours and i barely sleep lol
                  Hi thank you for your post. I know Emily spends alot of time at spinekids.
                  I'm hoping that helps her to not be afraid...
                  4-5 days after her surgery she'll have to start walking 1 mile a day.
                  she's not looking forward to that , lol

Comment

Originally posted by LeaEvelyn
                    Hi Yomomma,
                    I'm so happy everything seems to be finally moving along for you. It's the waiting that's hard. I'm assumming Emily's MRI turned out normal? Good luck with your doctor's appointment next month. If surgery is in August, that will be here before you know it. Does she have to donate her own blood? Shane was asked to donate two units. He did this every two weeks. With the last one collected two weeks before surgery.
                    My son goes back for his 15 month post op at the end of this month. Believe it or not, he is looking forward to seeing his doctor again. His last appointment was six months ago. He hasn't ever went that long without a check-up since first being diagnosed with scoliosis. It's really nice being on this side of surgery. The worries are pretty much gone. Just think, it won't be long and you'll be on this side of surgery too!!!!
                    Good Luck with everything.
                    Sincerely,
                    LeaEvelyn
                    Thank you , It makes me feel a little less scared knowing your son is doing so wonderful. While Emily is going through the surgery I plan to read all the replies again to keep me busy and to keep me from going totally nuts.

Emily will donate 1 unit of blood , her older brother will donate the other.

Comment

Hi again,
                      My son made out wonderfully at his 15 month post op appointment. The x-rays looked great, he is staying nice and straight!!!! How is Emily doing? Has she had to donate blood yet? Well, good luck with everything.
                      Sincerely,
                      LeaEvelyn

Comment

Originally posted by LeaEvelyn
                        Hi again,
                        My son made out wonderfully at his 15 month post op appointment. The x-rays looked great, he is staying nice and straight!!!! How is Emily doing? Has she had to donate blood yet? Well, good luck with everything.
                        Sincerely,
                        LeaEvelyn

Thank you . I'm glad your son is doing so well! I want you to know hearing about him makes me feel so so much better.

Emily is doing great. She's much braver than her mom

2 weeks from today she will be in surgery about this time.
                        (makes me a little sick just thinking about it)

She isn't donating blood. Her sister and her dad will do that next week.

Emily's sister Sara (17) is much more worried about this surgery than Emily.

She and I (sara) had a boo-whoo session last night , when she asked , "Mom, do you promise Emily will be ok?"

Emily also has two brothers (15, 22) and even though they hide it better, it's been rough on them too.

I know we're all just waiting for this to be over .....

Phyllis

Comment

Hi Phyllis,
                          I'm sure Emily will be just fine. The medical field has come so far in the past years with scoliosis surgery. There are so many precautions used during surgery. They montor the children very very closely. Tell your family to hang in there. It won't be long and this will all be behind you's !!! Good luck with everything !!!! Let us know how she makes out, Ok.
                          If you feel you need to talk to someone, my personel e-mail address is llentz5525@yahoo.com. I would be more than happy to try to calm your fears. My son had to go through scoliosis surgery twice, and all within a four month period. He went through each surgery without any complications. Just e-mail me if you feel you need to talk.
                          Sincerely,
                          LeaEvelyn

Comment

Working...
                          X