I'm new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shriners

Thank for the information. I am very close to the Shriners in Shreveport(5 hours). I had wondered if a second opinion from them would be a good idea.
    I think I will call.

Cheryl
    God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

It's great to hear all the compliments about Shriners Hospital and their physician. My daughter also goes to Shriners and we also have great insurance.
      I believe they have the expertise with scoliosis, especially in Philadelphia.

As everyone knows shriners is all donated money. So we started donating to the shriners as well as the specific funds for travel.

I agree with everyone that it is not an emergency to rush to surgery for any scoliosis. Take the time and do research and to accept the problem. It's very painful but there are available solutions.

Good luck.
      HIMOM

Comment

Shriners

We also donate whatever we can. Even if someone cannot afford to donate, they (Shriners) are just happy to have you spread the word about them so they can help more kids!!

And I agree that the hospital in Philadelphia seems to be particularly top notch when it comes to scoliosis (although ALL the Shriners Hospitals are wonderful). My son is a perfect example - we could have continued with our former doc in NY - or taken him to any number of so-called "top doctors" here (we are fortunate enought to have insurance), but they were not able to offer all that Shriners Philly offers as far as treatment options, etc.

In guess that's what happens when all you care about is helping kids
        Last edited by mariaf; 01-19-2006, 09:12 AM.
        mariaf305@yahoo.com
        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Himom & MariaF,
          I want you to know that every little thing, either donation of money or time, is so very appreciated by Shriners. My husband is one of the thousands of Shriners in the country that helps raise money for those 22 hospitals. The donation doesn't always have to be financial. A volunteer donation is always appreciated to. I think Maria even keep pop tabs to turn in for Shriners, if I remember right. My girls are working on a huge scrap aluminum drive right now, and some of the proceeds are to go to the hospitals. As a parent of a patient and the wife of a Shriner, I appreciate everything you do for them. Keep up the good work. If is interesting how one person gets into the giving mode and the whole family does it.

Nikki

Comment

Shriners

Hey Nikki -

Want to hear something weird. I just came across your email from 12/30.
            In stead of being in my Yahoo mailbox, it was in my AOL mailbox which I NEVER use!!! Very Strange. So I will get those wristbands out to your girls on Monday!!

Yes, I collect aluminum tabs from soda cans, etc. for Shriners Hospitals. And I've sold about 75 wristbands to family, friends, etc. If anyone visits the Philly hospital they can buy a wristband for $2 - or order through the mail (in bulk only). I have the contact info if anyone on this site is interested. In addition, those aluminium tabs can be mailed or dropped off at the hospital. Last time David had an appt. I brought two huge bags. I have pretty much everyone I know saving them for me

Nikki is right - I've been told time and time again that EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS. You may think it doesn't - but it does. Even just spreading the word about Shriners. I've written letters (one is supposed to appear in the March edition of Good Housekeeping Magazine) in an effort to raise awareness about Shriners so that they can hopefully get the recognition and support they deserve from corporations, foundations, etc. I'm just one voice, though. The more voices, the better!

P.S. In the New York area, on Wednesday, January 25, NBC's Today Show is supposed to have some Shriners from the local Kismet Temple there live. I'm told they will be there with signs, and a couple of them will get a few minutes of airtime. The show runs from 7:00 - 9:00 a.m. I plan to tape it - and, if I can juggle getting the kids to school, etc. I'm going to try to attend as well.

You don't have to have a lot of money to donate, there are many ways to show your support!!
            mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Maria,
              Can you Private Message the correct e-mail address. Then I will change it in my address file. I'm not even sure where I got that one.
              Nikki

Comment

Nikki,

I'm sending it to you by PM.
                mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                X