Flat back osteotomy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat back osteotomy

I have been diagnosed with flat back syndrome. I had thoracic and lumbar fusions in 1986. I read that lumbar curve can be reestablished by osteotomy.

Has anyone had this surgery? Was it successful?

I am currently looking for a surgeon in Houston. I got a recommendation for Dr. Hanson at Baylor. Haven't seen him yet. I've been to 6 other Drs in Houston and didn't really like any of them. The only option I have been given so far is to extend my fustion from L3-S1.

Any informations would be great!

Hi...

In addition to any responses you may get here, be sure to check out this group:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Flatback_Revised/

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi, I had an osteotomy done this past June at the L3 to correct a problem with leaning forward. My surgeon was Dr. Charles Reitman and Dr. Darrell Hanson assisted. A little over an inch of my spine was removed in a wedge shape to pull me back 30 degrees. I have not had any problems with the osteotomy. I am still having some problems from my original A/P surgery done in April 2004. What part of Houston are you from? I am near Lake Houston and the Beltway just south of Kingwood and Atascocita (Humble area). My surgery was done at St. Lukes Hospital in the med center.
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Houston

I live in West Houston. I have been in the Houston area just about 12 years now. I have seen 4 different surgeons in the Houston area and hadn't been happy with any of them.

I got a referral to Dr. Hanson from my daughter's ortho and when you said that he did your osteotomy, it peaked my interest. Because the only other option that I have is to fuse my remaining vertebrae from L3-S1. If there is a chance to improve my current fusion at the same time, I would love to do all at once.

Comment

Originally posted by PNUTTRO
          If there is a chance to improve my current fusion at the same time, I would love to do all at once.
          What do you mean by improving your current fusion? If you're asking if you can get more correction for your scolisis curves, the answer would be yes, that is possible. It usually just requires additional osteotomies.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Yes, I was thinking that I may have a better outcome if I have a modification of the current fusion at the same time that I have extension of the fusion from L3-S1 because there is degeneration of the remaining levels.

Comment

Working...
            X