nicole - 1 year check up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nicole - 1 year check up

went today for nicole's one year check up - even though she was one year in november. Everything went great. Everything looks good no changes and basically all restrictions were lifted. Yikes she is allowed to go sledding, trampoline, bowling, sports (no contact still)!!! Those are some of the things she asked about.
    All in all a good day
    Jennifer

Hey Jennifer, wonderful news! I forgot how far does Nicole's fusion goes? Jamie and I went sledding yesterday (on the same sled), took a killer spill, she was fine!! I on the other hand took the hit for her, and I'm still sore Trampoline's okay, hmmm, that's interesting! pat

Comment

Jennifer, You had great knews. I don't know if I could watch the sledding. I'd have to go in the house and hide in the bedroom. Crystal is allowed to pick up to 20 lbs. She has her next appt. the end of April, which will be one month over her one year mark. Yikes, surgery seemed like it just happened yesterday still. We've all been through so much. Glad to hear the good news. Now you go for the ride of a life, the worry about her safety.

'til later,
      Nikki

Comment

Congratulations! I've found that once you are on the "other side" of surgery, the next big thing is the one year mark. Isn't it kinda scary to know that they can do anything? Oh, and they will try everything they haven't been allowed to do for a year.

Jamie badly sprained her ankle about two weeks ago and a friend asked me if I was worried about her back at all when she got hurt. Believe it or not, the thought of her back never crossed my mind. I guess that progress.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hey Jennifer
          Great News Nicole Must Be So Happy. You've Got To Be A Wreak. I Know That I Drive My Nicole Crazy Sometimes With Her Restrictions. Its So Hard At This Stage Of Recovery She Just Wants To Do Like A Normal Kid. Nikki I Would Not Be Able To Watch My Nicole Sled Either. Thank You God That Winter Will Be Over When She Gets To The 1 Year Mark. But Wow A Trampoline !!! I Chucked My Nicoles Trampoline Out Last Year While She Was Recovering And She Was Pissed At My Husband And I. It Was Kinda Getting Old And Needed To Be Chucked Anyway. We Were Also Afraid She Would Forget And Jump On It. Well Congrats On Your Check Up
          When Do You Go Back To See Him Again.
          Theresa
          THERESA

Comment

Jennifer,

Good to hear that things are continuing to go well. I'm sure you're relieved and Nicole is thrilled. I can't believe trampoline though - that is one restriction that Bill does have. He is doing well, also, although has not had his 1 year check due to his odd schedule due to the stress fractures in his feet.

Our bad news is that Bill's 13 year old sister was diagnosed with scoliosis in December. The doctor is shocked since she checked her in August and there was nothing. The curve is 20 degrees. We go see the orthopedist next week.

When Bill was diagnosed, he was so far along that there was no question of what to do. He would definitely need surgery. Was Nicole braced before surgery? This phase - watching, bracing, not bracing - is all new to us. I'm back to reading and researching.

I'll let you know how things go at the ortho. (I may have to change my name from Bill's mom to Maddie's mom!)

Susan

Comment

First of all i didn't know if you were all still lurking around here either, but i guess we can't keep ourselves away. This is i guess a big part of our lives forever.
              First, Bill's Mom (maddie's mom)
              i got chills reading your post. I am so sorry to hear this news. I know the one's that have been through this and have younger ones worry so much about them having to go through this (or is it us having to go through it again). We did catch nicole's when it was only 18 degrees and from the time she had an x-ray and us getting an appointment with an ortho her curve was already 24 degrees and a brace was given. Nicole is not an easy one to begin with and refused to wear the brace. We tried EVERYTHING to get her to wear it and she ended up just sleeping in it and obviously that wasn't enough it continued to get worse. I have to other children a girl 8 and a boy 11 and i pray that they do not get this. At 20 degrees they may just watch her and have you go back in a few months, but with Bill having surgery they may opt to fit her for a brace. What are her feelings about a brace?? There are a bunch of people on here that their children wear the spinecor. Good luck and keep us posted as to what goes on with her - we're still all here.
              Jennifer

Comment

Theresa, marylou, nikki and pat
                thank you all for writing. I as you all were was shocked when she asked about the trampoline. He said just some jumping, no flipping. I told her that if she does go on it i don't want her jumping and bouncing to her butt, just a few jumps. She is a very cautious type of person anyway. Theresa i don't blame you for throwing yours out.
                Pat, nicole has a pretty long fusion. It is from T4-L2. I can't believe she went sledding!! I couldn't bear to watch any of this. I don't even like when she runs from the car into the house still!!
                Marylou,
                How is Jamie doing? When do you go back to the dr??
                Are any of your kids doing any sports and back in gym class? Nicole is still out of gym for the rest of the year. She is thrilled and told me not to mention gym class to the dr. she didn't want to have to go back. When she first started school this year she was given a note for the rest of the year and the nurse thought it was odd that she would be out another year.
                Well glad to hear all the kids are doing good - stay in touch
                Jennifer

Comment

nicole's 1 year checkup

Hi Jennifer - Great news! And I know from chatting with you that you must be a wreck that all restrictions are lifted. Now there will be no stopping her

But all in all you must be thrilled and I'm very happy for you. Now I remember you saying that Nicole had to go back on the 12th.

To Bill's Mom - Sorry to hear about Maddie. Another possible option to consider, should your daughter need a brace and have a tough time with it, would be vertebral stapling. It's just another alternative. My son had it almost two years ago - mainly because in his case, he would have faced several more years of bracing and we all agreed (us and the doctors) that it would be a good option for him. So far, so good.

Best of luck to Nicole and Maddie - I'll keep you guys in my prayers - may all our kids stay safe!

Maria
                  mariaf305@yahoo.com
                  Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                  Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Susan

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. I always get nervous when it is time for Tracy's yearly check-up with the family physician since that's where Jamie was diagnosed. Sorry if this is a little personal, but has Maddie started her period yet? If she has had it for a while, maybe she is almost done growing and the Scoli. won't be much of an issue. Try to stay positive, we are all still here for you and praying for your family. Keep us posted.

Jennifer,

Jamie's back is doing ok, but her sprained ankle is still a big issue. Took her to the family doctor earlier this week and he says it's not broken, but it is still bruised, swollen and very painful and tomorrow it will be two weeks. She is supposed to go back to the ortho. for her back in June. If I notice that it appears to be getting worse, I will be calling sooner. As for gym, she was out of gym last week and this week due to her ankle, but she started regular gym class in August with no restrictions. I talked to the teacher at open house and told her about Jamie's back and she talked to Jamie and is very understanding of her limitations-such as sit-ups-and she has been great. She keeps a close eye on her to make sure she is ok which is nice. I sure don't understand Nicole still being out of gym. Jamie's doctor wants her to stay as active as possible. What does the school say about her missing so much gym? Does she have to make it up? Our school district requires our high school kids to take four years of gym and if they are allowed to miss one class but they have to make the rest up and if they are out for a long period of time, they have to do a report or something like that in order to get credit.

Mary Lou

Comment

hi marylou
                      i hope jamies foot starts to heal up. That seems to be a long time for a sprain to be hurting so much still.
                      I know it is weird that nicole is still out of gym. I am thinking that they gave the note and don't even remember, but i am leaving it alone and we don't go back until july so she will just stay out the rest of the year. What our school does when a child is out of gym with a note to pass gym for every gym class missed she has to get an article relating to sports out of the newspaper and write a little something on it in order to pass. He did ask what kind of activities she is doing and she told him really nothing.
                      well keep in touch
                      Jennifer
                      P.S. Are you all getting an e-mail when someone writes because i usually do and for some reason i am not. I just happened to check back on the forum and saw that there were replies. Just curious.

Comment

Jennifer,

Some times I get e-mail notification and some times I don't. I thought it was just my computer.

Mary Lou

Comment

MaryLou has the doctor looked at Jamie having perhaps done some ligament damage (stretching or tearing) or soft tissue damage to the ankle??. If he hasn't brought it up, it might be worth mentioning. It's hard to diagnose on straight 'x-ray's' and needs further 'investigatory tests' such as a Cat Scan and a Bone Scan. If it's still bothersome in a week or so, it might be worth seeing a sports medicine doctor. They look at injured ankles a lot, and are good at 'pin-pointing the exact cause.

You can get ligamental damage/soft tissue damage happening from similar 'causes' to a sprained ankle. Landing on it awakardly and 'twisting it'/spraining can be enough

Alison
                          Last edited by Alison; 01-13-2006, 09:23 PM.

Comment

My daughter is out of PE for a full year post-op. Our state requires 1 semester of high school PE/Health only, I think. She will take it next year. Kris

Comment

Alison,

Thanks for your input. The scary thing is, that's what has been running through my mind for days now even though the family doctor was only worried about a possible fracture. My Mom tore ligaments and tendons in her ankle and it acted just like Jamie's. Everything I've read says that sprained ankles can take up to 3-6 weeks to heal, so I'm trying to be patient and give it a chance to heal, but believe me, if it is still bothering her, I will insist on an MRI, CT scan or bone scan. Thanks again.

Mary Lou

Comment

Working...
                              X