Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

another question---heartburn, digestion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Peg, D. All of the above....

I had and have heartburn which seems to be directly related to fat intake. When I cut out the fats, it isn’t a problem. I like to eat a bowl of cereal before going to bed with soy milk. I also keep dry granola and water by my bed, along with regular strength Zantac just in case it’s a Zantac evening. I always try to resolve this issue without taking Zantac first.

I also had these swallowing events where my air would get cut-off and I would wake up choking. I figured that it would be the way I would go but for some reason they have subsided. I even had the docs go down and look at my epiglottis, that’s the flapper that adjusts your gas air mixture. (smiley face) It was fine.

The dizzies and vertigo are of course ear related and well, there are little answers to this nightmare. I have had both, and was diagnosed with labyrinthitis 22 years ago which included extreme vertigo events. I was told it was an inner ear virus. The dizzies after surgery came and went.....I would simply lay down and get into a comfortable position and try to fall asleep. That was another reason why I terminated all my meds and drank copious amounts of water to flush out my cells.

Hang in there

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
      At IMAST last week, there was a presentation (paper #75) that concluded "This study showed that left lumbar curves larger than 30 degrees are a significant risk fact for the presence of GERD. We should consider that lumbar deformity may affect the visceral organ when evaluating Degenerative Lumbar Scoliosis."
      I know this was some time ago but any idea if I can get hold of this study

Comment

Originally posted by burdle View Post
        I know this was some time ago but any idea if I can get hold of this study
        Papers presented at meetings are not considered studies. To find the text of the presentation, I Googled IMAST 2013 PROGRAM. To find out if they actually published anything, search PubMed (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/)

75. Scoliosis is a Risk Factor for Gastroesophageal Reflux
        Disease in Adult Spinal Deformity
        Naobumi Hosogane, MD; Kota Watanabe; Mitsuru Yagi, MD, PhD; Shinjiro
        Kaneko, MD, PhD; Hitoshi Kono; Masanobu Shioda; Masafumi Machida, MD;
        Masashi Saito; Yoshiaki Toyama; Morio Matsumoto, MD
        Japan

Summary: Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) symptoms were evaluated
        in 190 spinal disorder patients including 126 degenerative lumbar kyphoscoliosis
        (DLKS) patients using Quest (Questionnaire for the diagnosis of reflux disease).
        Fifty-nine patients were GERD positive (Quest 6). Multivariate regression analysis
        revealed that left lumbar curve larger than 30°was a significant risk factor for the
        presence of GERD (odds ratio 10.9).
        GERD symptoms should also be taken into consideration in the treatment of adult
        spinal deformity.

Introduction: Patients with DLKS (degenerative lumbar kyphoscoliosis) are at a
        risk of developing various visceral organ disorders due to their trunk deformity.
        The aim of this study was to evaluate the influence of the trunk deformity on
        gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
        Methods: One-hundred-ninety patients over 40 years of age (mean 70.2 years,
        51 males and 139 females) who had whole standing spine X-ray and answered
        to the Quest (Q; Questionnaire for the diagnosis of reflux disease) were included
        in this study. Quest is an 18-point scale and has been developed for the screening
        of GERD patients. Patients with Q score 6 points or more were defined as GERD
        positive. Radiological parameters including Cobb angle, sagittal alignment and
        trunk balances were measured and evaluated the relation to the Q score with
        Pearson’s correlation coefficient analysis. Multivariate logistic regression analysis
        was performed to evaluate the risk factors for GERD.

Results: The average Q score was 3.7 points (-1 to 15) in whole 190 patients
        and 59 patients were GERD positive. In order to discriminate the direction of
        lumbar curve, we defined right convex curve as negative and left convex curve
        as positive value. There were 42 patients with right convex lumbar curve (mean
        -34.1°; -10 to -90°) and 84 patients with left convex lumbar curve (mean
        +33.6°; 11 to 109°). Q score was significantly correlated with lumbar Cobb
        angle (R=0.26). There were no significant correlations with sagittal parameters.
        In multivariate regression analysis, lumbar Cobb angle tended to be associated
        with the presence of GERD (Odds ration 1.02, 95% CI 1.01-1.03, p=0.06).
        Moreover, lumbar Cobb angle larger than 30° was strongly associated with the
        presence of GERD (Odds ratio 10.9, 95% CI 2.26 - 52.80, p<0.05).

Conclusion: This study showed that left lumbar curve larger than 30° was a
        significant risk factor for the presence of GERD. We should consider that lumbar
        deformity may affect the visceral organ when evaluating DLS patients.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
        X