Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

another question---heartburn, digestion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another question---heartburn, digestion...

Does anybody with severe scoliosis have any digestive issues? Tightness in the mid section? bad acid reflux.? Maybe connected, maybe not... thks,lynne: here's the start of my journal ! http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
    Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 01-16-2006, 07:32 AM.

Lynne,

My son is only 10yrs old. Because of his thoracic scoliosis, his esophagus is also curved, complicating an already existing GERD issue. If your spine is curved enough, the rest of the organs have to go somewhere. Sometimes they compensate well, while other times they need medical help to function properly. I hope your heartburn isn't serious. Good luck.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Hi...

I have GERD, both before and after my scoliosis surgery, which straightened my thoracic spine almost completely. Whether or not there's a link to idiopathic scoliosis, I don't think anyone knows, and in the end, it probably doesn't matter.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Lynne

You probably know from my blog that I have the same issues as you and although there's a lot of anecdoctal evidence to support the scoliosis link, there's not much else.

My doctor checked through all possible causes (bacterial infection, hiatus hernia, excess acid production etc) and made me keep a diary of when the attacks happend and what I ate and drank each day. In the end we had to come to the conclusion that it was my spine as eating/drinking made no difference at all - straining my back in some way (usually by walking too much in my case) would bring it on.

The diary was fascinating to do and showed a clear link so its probably worth you trying that. If you want more info on how to do it, PM me.

Pips
        Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
        Post op 30(T)/33(L)
        http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

scoliosis/indigestion/GERD

Before my revision I had those things because my stomach was crumpled under my diaphragm. I even got out of breath after a big meal. I had a thorough gastro work-up. My doctor observed my stomach laying in it's side. She called it "watermelon stomach" from scoliosis. I add here I had triple curves. When they were reduced I lost all those symptoms.

Karen
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

thks for the feedback, Karen. Pips-we seem to have similar curves -I'm very bad on the Lumbar so maybe there's some similarities. I'll try to put my x-ray on my blog soon........Lynne

Comment

My daughter has some reflux issues, and we've been able to get it under control recently enough to take her off prescription meds. One supplement I've found that I like to help with typical heartburn and acid indigestion is Acid Ease. It helps to soothe the intestines to provide relief. Now, for more severe reflux, it's important to consult with a doctor to see if stronger meds are necessary. Severe reflux that goes untreated can lead to esophageal cancer, so you want to make sure that yours isn't chronic or severe.

Comment

At IMAST last week, there was a presentation (paper #75) that concluded "This study showed that left lumbar curves larger than 30 degrees are a significant risk fact for the presence of GERD. We should consider that lumbar deformity may affect the visceral organ when evaluating Degenerative Lumbar Scoliosis."
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Interesting --my heart burn went away after surgry--very interesting thought.
                  T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                  C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                  T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                  C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                  Right scapulectomy 6/15
                  Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                  To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                  Broken neck 9/28/2018
                  Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                  Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                  Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                  Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                  Osteotomy

Comment

my acid reflux was caused by oral antibiotics taken after IV antibiotics were
                    finished, for Lyme Disease...the oral antibiotics finally ate away at my stomach lining, it seems...
                    i was put on what i was told was a strong prescription (that my insurance did not want to pay for, and that was back when i had better health insurance)...
                    i was on Protonix...it worked great....

surprised to read lumbar has an impact...makes sense it would
                    be thoracic curve that would do it....??

jess

Comment

This is interesting. I wonder if after my spine is fixed if I will be able to say goodbye to the protonix. Would be nice.
                      Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

I have gastritis and biliary dyskinesia. I get bad stomach pains every six months or so and even fever from acid reflux, but day to day it doesn't bother me. Now I was told to take Ursosan for a couple of months. I think that these problems have to do with the shape of the gallbladder - apparently mine is weird - rather than the scoliosis though.

Comment

Lumbar scoliosis and acid reflux here. Mine is still here after surgery. Maybe I should stop drinking coffee and diet Coke??! Lol.
                          age 48
                          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Heartburn

This is an old thread that came up when I was searching for info on heartburn & indigestion. Before surgery, I found out from my myleogram that I have a hiatal hernia. I never had symptoms. Now that I'm about 5 weeks post op, the pain in my esophagus area & difficulty with swallowing have become intense in the past 2 days. I'm wondering if I'm having symptoms now that I'm straight?! I've also been dealing with dizziness when getting up & laying down. I'm just wondering if others have had similar experiences? I do have my follow-up with my family dr next week.
                            Peg
                            61 yrs old
                            75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                            T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                            Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

Dizziness

It seems that a lot of people here experience vertigo post-op. I know I had an issue with it when I was around 6 weeks post op. Someone told me that sometimes this is caused by spinal fluid "learning" it's new straighter route. Any validity to this theory?

I was off pain meds at the time.

Risė

Comment

Working...
                              X