New with lots of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katy,

Try not to worry until you get the results of the CT Scan back......I know it's hard for Mom's not to worry, but try not too. There may have been an area that's a bit fuzzy/not come out so good that they want to get a closer look at.

Doctors like to be very thorough (sp) if they aren't sure of something.....or it looks a bit funny, they like to take a closer look. It means they've 'checked out' everything (and haven't missed something) and before they did something (such as surgery) they'd know exactly what was there and what they're 'dealing with'

Try not to worry

ALison

Comment

Thanks Alison,

I have calmed down a little. My husband is at work so I haven't even been able to talk to him about it. Of course I don't want all of the kids to know that I am worried (especially Graham). I will keep you all posted if anything unusual comes of it.

Thanks again!
      Katy

Comment

Length of MRI

We have an appt. for my son's MRI for Saturday afternoon. They said it takes 135 minutes. Is this normal? He is getting anxious and they asked me if he was claustrophic. Can they give kids anything to help with that? I've been reading so many posts from everyone and know we are in for a long time of more anxiety/worries, but it really helps to see how many have been thru it and come out so much better. I'm just a huge worrier and this is our only child. I think I may need sedation

Laurie
        mother of 13-yr-old son with 55 upper and 75 degree lower curves
        Laurie
        mom to Josh age 15, double curves 77T/55L Posterior spinal fusion done at age 13 on July 10, 2006 from T2 - L5 Now 35T/25L

Comment

Inetzer,

My daughter had her MRI and it lasted 70 minutes. I went with her into the MRI room. There is no reason for the mother not to and I insisted. I don't know if it helped her. It is very noisy and has this bong, bong noise. Remember not to wear anything metal, no glasses, no prosthesis, etc.
          The technician would tell her to stay still for 12 minutes then when to relax. This allowed her time to prepare.

Good luck with the MRI.

I must admit we, the parents, have needed the sedatives and reassurance more than my daughter.
          Hawaii MOM

Comment

Length of MRI

I'll admit, that was my first question to the person making the appt. after she told me how long it was. They said nobody is allowed in the room, but they would be in constant contact with my son and that he could have a technician in the room if he wanted. Like that was going to calm him! He is apprehensive enough about all of the new/strange things that are going on. I am still going to ask that day if it's possible to have me go with him. I've been in 2 other times with my husband for Heaven sakes, and yet they won't let me go with my son? Granted this was our local hospital and my son is going to one an hour away. I guess I will have to put on my pushy mom hat!!

Laurie
            Laurie
            mom to Josh age 15, double curves 77T/55L Posterior spinal fusion done at age 13 on July 10, 2006 from T2 - L5 Now 35T/25L

Comment

Laurie

They should be able to give your son a light sedative. If they are not suggesting one....I'd be asking for one for him.

I am only speaking from personal rememberance here, but I remember what it was like in that MRI machine as a 13 year old. I was not sedated.....and it was the longest 2 and a half hours of my life. It's hard to stay still at 13....and you do get wriggly....even though you try not to.I had big problems trying to stay still (so they had to re do some of them).....and by the end I was quite agitated and upset. I came out of that machine, straight onto my Dad's lap and cried.

They often give light sedatives to younger children for MRI's.....I'd definetly find out if they can give your son one. There's no reason I can see why he shouldnt be able to have one.

135 minutes is normal, for the MRI your son is having. What I mean by this is that they are doing a full spine MRI (may be doing almost a full body one)....this takes quite a bit of time to do.

Maybe try and organise something 'fun' to do with your son after the MRI. Something he really enjoys doing, whether it be going to a movie, going Ice Skating, getting some Ice-Cream. Will give him something to look forward to and focus his mind on.

Good luck

Alison

Comment

Laurie
                We did my nicoles mri test on two diff days. The tech felt it was too long for a 12 year old to lay there. The place we went to was great with her she was able to bring a cd to listern to during the test. The test took 1 1/2 hrs each day this was for the whole spine.
                Theresa
                THERESA

Comment

Laurie,

Sounds like we are at the same stage as you. We just had Graham's MRI on Friday and it took a little over 2 hours. He is 15 1/2 and said he got hot and bored, but was able to lay still enough I guess. They did say I could go in the room but would have to wear earplugs as it is noisy. They also mentioned a mild sedative, but Graham didn't think he would need it.

Let us know how it goes, Graham has his CT scan today. At least it's not as long as the MRI, but I am very anxious anyway.

Katy

Comment

When my son had his MRI last year, I believe it lasted about 45 min. and I think it was open on both ends (kind of aleviated the claustrophobic feeling) A mild sedative might be a good idea if the child needs to lay there for a length of time.

Katy, I hope all goes well (uneventful) with the CT scan. Keep us posted.

Hawaii Mom - just wondering if you ever had a consult with Dr. Newton in San Diego??

Renee

Comment

CT Scan

Well, we had Graham's CT Scan, way easier than the MRI!! They gave us a copy of the MRI report that said he appears to have bilateral spondylolysis of L5. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Of course it is after 5pm again, so I cannot call Shriner's until tomorrow. At least it doesn't appear to be anything like a tumor, just something else in the spine. From the little that I can understand about it this could be the cause of his scoliosis, or maybe vice-versa? I'd love to hear if any of you have had anything similar.

Katy

Comment

Hi Katy...

You can see a picture of what spondylolysis looks like here:

http://www.spinecenteronline.com/ana_injury.html

And, I believe that bilateral means that it's the same on both the left and right sides (that is, it's slipping evenly).

--Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Mom's perspective

I had surgery at 16 and was out of school for 10 weeks (1986). I guess recovery is faster these days--according to these posts.

Anyway, for years my Mom would accompany to my doctor's appointments and when I started having pain again, she started asking the doctors if she did the right thing by having me go through the surgery for scoliosis. The doctors always said that it was the only option.

I never understood why she always asked the same question until I realized that she was feeling guilty for "putting me through all the pain and suffering". Now, I finally understand her worries and concerns and I told her that my life would have turned out very differently if I had not had surgery. I am glad that she made the decision to have surgery. And I am grateful for all of her support all these years.

Comment

Flower power,

Renee, We did meet with Dr. Newton. His only suggestion was to take the brace off for one week and see what the curve is at that time. Our next appointment at Shriner is in April. We will contact the surgeon and work out the time frame for the brace to be off before the next set of x-rays. Dr. Newton did not question the diagnosis just the severity of the curve.

Thanks for asking.

I hope your son is doing well after surgery in Dec. 2005. Is it better for him in terms of pain and psychologically.

Hawaii MOM

Comment

Katy,

My daughter has a Spondylolysis in her lower lumbar region. We never knew about it until they started x-raying her for Scoliosis. She has never had any pain or problem from it. Her doctor fused her from T3-L2 and I asked him before surgery why he wasn't going to fuse lower to avoid future problems with the Spond. and he said he likes to preserve as much mobility/flexibility as possible. It's been a little over a year since surgery and so far so good-no problems. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Mary Lou

Comment

Thanks Mary Lou,

That was a question I was going to ask the Dr. Would they fuse the lower spine because of the spond. ? They were planning to do some bending x-rays on the our next visit Feb 1st to determine whether they should do an anterior fusion or not, so I think we will just wait and find out everything at once on the 1st. I keep thinking about calling, but I have decided to just wait and give the Dr. time to study everything so he can give us a thorough evaluation. I figure if they found anything really serious with the CT they would let us know.

Linda, thanks for the link to the picture. Now I'm wondering if this happened a long time ago and actually triggered the scoliosis? One more question for the Dr. I guess....

Katy

Comment

Working...
                                X