New with lots of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Renee,
    Check out this page www.spinekids.com/shane.shtml. It is Shane's story of his surgeries and recoveries, but we also have before and after surgery pictures posted at the bottom of his story. Maybe this can reassure you. Hope this helps.
    Sincerely,
    LeaEvelyn

Comment

• Hi LeaEvelyn,

Thanks for directing me to Shane's story-he sure has been through alot! He sounds like a very mature young man and seems to have dealt with it well. The pre-surgery pics are very similar to what Joe's back looked like. His (Shane's) back looks great now though, so nice and straight! Thanks for sharing -

Renee

Comment

• Hi Everyone!

I'm a few days behind here. It's been a crazy week!

Laurie - I'm so happy to hear about Josh's heart being okay. What a great relief that must be! It sure is nerve-wracking to keep having to change things, though. Just remember God has a reason even if we don't know what it is. Hope everything goes more smoothly from here on out.

About the rib hump - the last surgeon we went to told us that it was basically a separate operation and purely cosmetic. Meaning that he would not automatically take bone from the rib (as the first dr had said) unless we requested it. Although my friend who had fusion surgery 20+ years ago elected to have a second surgery for her rib hump because she said it hurt to sit on a hard chair as her shoulder blade would hit the chair. So, who knows????

Anyway, hope everyone is enjoying spring and doing well. Laurie - keep us updated on Josh.

Take Care
        Katy

Comment

• Hi Renee,
          Your welcome. If you ever need anything else, just let me know. Keep us posted on how Joe is doing, ok.
          Sincerely,
          LeaEvelyn

Comment

• Wish us luck!

Hi everyone! We are going to our first blood donation form our newest and hopefully last (!) surgery date tomorrow at noon. Wish us luck that Josh doesn't get rejected again!

Laurie
            Laurie
            mom to Josh age 15, double curves 77T/55L Posterior spinal fusion done at age 13 on July 10, 2006 from T2 - L5 Now 35T/25L

Comment

• Dear Laurie,
              Lots of luck, luck, luck, luck to you both. See, if I say it enough, it will come true!! You's will be in our prayers!!! Hope everything works out ok.
              Sincerely,
              Lea

Comment

• Hi Laurie,

Hope everything goes well with the blood donation. How is Josh doing these days? You?

Renee

Comment

• Here we go again ..........

Hi everyone! Well, we were rejected again yesterday I just want to cry, this is so frustrating, especially for Josh. He was so psyched and ready to go, and he met all the qualifications with his heartrate, blood pressure, iron levels, etc. and then they asked if he was on an antibiotic. He'd had a sinus infection exactly 2 weeks ago, and took his last pill on Wednesday night. That got us rejected. I couldn't believe it. Had I known (our doctor said it would be fine, and when I told them that they got all snotty and said "he doesn't know what our requirements are!") I would have completely skipped the last dose as it would have been fine if he'd been off them one full day. Now I got a call from the administrator of the Red Cross in Madison, WI, saying I also need a letter from his cardiologist saying he's clear to donate anyhow. Am I really being dense and not seeing the signs that I shouldn't do this surgery? Help! I'm doubting more every day, and with Josh having lost a 1/2 inch from March to May, in my heart I know he needs the surgery, but my brain is on overload with doubts.

Well, thanks for letting me vent! I do appreciate everyone asking how we're doing. It really is one day at a time and I don't know what to do in case of one more road block. My husband will be able to donate one unit for Josh, but they need 3, and Josh has to give his own for that donor bone thing they do, I think.

Laurie
                  Laurie
                  mom to Josh age 15, double curves 77T/55L Posterior spinal fusion done at age 13 on July 10, 2006 from T2 - L5 Now 35T/25L

Comment

• Laurie,

Sorry the donation got put off again, I can imagine your frustration! We dealt with this issue also when Joe gave blood for his surgery. His first donation got put off b/c he was still on antibiotics for a recurring strep infection. Our dr. thought it would be ok also b/c they pump them up with antibiotics during surgery anyway but.....our donation center also told us they have very strict requirements. The nurse told us if Joe gave blood while still sick/on antibiotics there was a chance the bacteria could grow during the time it was stored and it would be like giving him a "bag of bacteria". That was the lovely way the nurse described it. It now makes sense to me b/c I'm sure the reason for the 1st recurrence of strep was due to the fact Joe may have missed or taken late the last couple of anti-b pills.

When we went back a week later (and 1 week prior to surgery) Joe had just finished taking his last anti-b pill the morning before donation and that was borderline for the donation people. They were going back and forth on whether or not they would let Joe donate and spent a long time on phone with the head director before they finally let him go through with donation.

He only ended up donating 1 unit instead of 2 but that was ok, during surgery they didn't end up needing the blood, just gave it to him at end of surgery to give him a little "boost".

I'm sure once you get the letter from cardiologist Josh should be ok to go through with donation, and it's ok to donate a week prior to surgery. Hang in there Laurie, I pray things work out ok by surgery date.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share our similar experience.

Renee

Comment

• Thank you!

Renee:

I am so glad to know there are others in our situation that have been there. I am praying it goes well when we go again on Thursday, and that my husband will be able to donate as well. (I have an inherited form of anemia and am excluded from ever donating) It's a relief to hear that things worked out on your end and I pray it is the same here!

Yikes! A bag of bacteria! That makes me feel better they didn't do it, either! I like those nurses that are so matter of fact! lol

Thanks again for the support!

Laurie
                      Laurie

Comment

• Hi Laurie,

Just wondering how the blood donation went yesterday...........

Renee

Comment

• :-(

Hi Renee:

Thanks for asking.....it was a no go for both of them. I couldn't even believe it. I just wanted to go home and go to bed, I was just literally sick to my stomach. Pete's iron was low, and he's been taking the iron pills for a week, and Josh had a temperature, first 3 degrees above, and then 1 degree after waiting a few minutes, of what they allow. Unbelievable. We're trying again next week for both of them, and then Josh's last one will be the last Thursday in June and then that's it.

Laurie
                          Laurie

Comment

• Laurie,

I know this is easier said than done but.......try not to get too discouraged. There is still time to donate, keep up with the vitamins, healthy diet, exercise. Make sure Josh gets plenty of rest. I pray things are better by next week.
                            Take care -

Renee

Comment

• Finally!!

Hi everyone! Today was the day....Josh and his dad both were able to give blood. We go for the pre-op on Tuesday now, and then Josh needs to give one more unit on Thursday and then we have to go to another doctor appt for the primary doctor on Friday. This was such a relief today! Thanks to everyone for listening and being so supportive over the past months.

Laurie
                              Laurie

Comment

• Laurie,

Glad to hear the donation went ok. Its a relief to get that done and know your child will have their own blood to use if needed. I hope things continue to go smoothly from here on out. Take care,

Renee

Comment

Working...
                                X