Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg Jitters & Numbness

Hello,

My name is Scott Maynard and I am from Massachusetts.

I had surgery about 19 years ago at Boston Childrens Hospital.

I had an 69 degree curve.

Dr. Robert Hall performed the surgery. I was 15 at the time I had it.

The day after the surgery I was waking up from the surgery when they asked me if I could feel the priking they were doing. it turned out that I was paralized from the waist down. I was rushed back into surgery where they took out a supportive rod. They told me that the supportive rod must of been too tight. During the second surgery they found a lot of fatty tiisue at the base of my spine. They removed it. After the surgery they prep me for another surgery for the reinsertion of the Supportive rod.

I was lucky I didn't have a cast but i was hospitalized for 28 days and 20 days of them I was catherized.

Which leaves me to ask the questions to everyone?

Does anyone have problems with #1 constantly?

Also it seems latlely that I feel more numbness in my legs and problems when I am trying to go to sleep. I get leg jitters. Like I cannot get them to settle down.

I called my Boston's Childrens Hospital and they told me that they couldn't help Over 18 UGH

So my primary wants me to see a neurologist....

Anyone out there with these issues.

Well since then

Hi Scott...

I sometimes get very mild, but totally annoying, leg jitters when I lay in bed at night. When it happens, I've learned that I need to take a sleeping pill, or I'll never get to sleep.

I'd like to encourage you to see Dr. Frank Rand in Boston. He has a lot of experience treating patients with prior scoliosis fusions.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda,

What Hospital is he out of?

I tried Tylenol PM but it doesn't really work to well.

Comment

Hi...

He's at New England Baptist:

http://www.bostonspinegroup.org/doctors/rand/

Tylenol PM doesn't work for me. I take prescription (Ambien or Lunesta) when I need it.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Scott and Linda too ,
          If you guys are having only night time leg "jitters" or crawly sensations you might want to talk to your docs about RLS......Restless Leg Syndrome. There is no cure, but there are meds.

RLS can be hereditary or just appear in people with no family history. Type in RLS on the internet, there is actually quite abit of info on it. I'm 3rd generation. In my family there is a direct blood line on my maternal side, including one of my sons and one of his sons (5th generation).

Sometimes hot bath or heating pad on your calves will help. Oh, there is NO CORROLATION between RLS and scoli.
          SandyC

Comment

Linda/Scott,
            This is just a quick P.S. The med I take is Mirepex. Like Neurotin, it was designed for another illness, but works for other things. The Lunesta (I also take) and Ambien are just for sleep and don't do anything for the RLS. The RLS can disrupt sleep enough that even though you may not be aware that you have woke up.

If your docs can't help you might ask to see a doc that specializes in sleep.
            SandyC

Comment

Hi Sandy...

Mine doesn't appear to be RLS (I'd checked it out previously). I'm fairly certain that mine is a nerve thing related to my back.

--Linda

Comment

Hi Everyone,

When I have problems with restless legs...I take Baclofen. It works great for me. I notice RLS more so when I have my menustral cycle...not sure what the correlation is...or if there is one.

Kindest Regards,
                Gail

Comment

This has been going on for a while now but it seems that recently the numbness in my a** has gone down to right above the knee (Backside).

I am going to try the muscle relaxer the doctor gave me to see if this helps but I am concerned with the numbness too.

I called my doctor to have him schedule me an appointment with the Nero guy to see whats up. Atleast this is a start.

I checked to see if I could get my medical records from Boston Childrens Hospital and they want $305.00 UGH for Copies. They said there are a lot of pages.

That's crazy!!!!

I want to see what's up in them. Maybe some insite.

Comment

Working...
                  X