6 weeks post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 weeks post op

Hi everyone well my son Jeremy is just a little over 6 weeks post op and doing wonderful. He continued on pain meds for at least 5 weeks and had a really hard first night off them. The doctor feels he was having withdrawals. Not even Tylenol helped that first night. The next few days just got better and better. Today he is completely off all pain meds, not even any Tylenol.
    He still has not gone back to school since the Xmas break fell during his recovery time and now finals are starting so his schools wants him to wait.
    He's has a home school teacher that brings his school work a couple times a week. Jeremy has been taking long walks everyday to build up his endurance.
    Its really hard to believe now what he's been through to see him today, you'd never know unless someone told you by looking at him. His scare is barely noticable just a fine line. We are still a little concerned about the part of his spine that was not fused L-1 to L5 When we saw the X-rays he still had a pretty good curve there. His doctor wants to keep a good eye on it so we are going back in 6 weeks to be sure it has not got worse. It seems to me that with the added weight of the rods on that portion of his spine would make the bottom get worse. I really hope not, at this point I could never imagine going through another surgery. I wanted to say hello to all the others who are finally also are on the other side. We have no regrets and no side effects. If you have any questions just write back I would be happy to share our experience.
    Yvonne
    Mom of Jeremy with Scolosis 16 yrs old
    Fused T-1 to T-11 Nov 14, 2005
    Kaiser Oakland, Dr. Ravi Bains

Welcome to the other side! We just celebrated my daughter's one year anniversary a few weeks ago, but I can remember being where you are very vididly!

Has your doctor said what degree the curve is below his fusion? Has he mentioned trying a brace? At 16 I would think your son has some growing to do yet, so maybe a brace would be an option to hold the curve. I know that Jamie's doctor doesn't like to fuse the lumbar region unless absolutely necessary. Jamie has a Spondolenthesis (sp) in her lower lumbar region that her doctor watches very closely. I asked him why he wasn't going to fuse that area so we wouldn't have to worry about it and he said he likes to save as much mobility/flexibility as possible and so far, so good, no change in that area.

Tell Jeremy to keep up the great work. His recovery sounds like it has been pretty good for the most part.

Mary Lou

Comment

Crystal has the same issue with a curve just below her rods. Doctor didn't want it fused for the same reason, wants to preserve mobility. When Crystal had her last appointment, I asked about her curve. Doctor felt that she wouldn't get any worse, but will keep an eye on it.

Anyway, welcome to the other side. It is a wonderful place to be. Sounds like recover is going well for you.

'til later,
      Nikki

Comment

Mobility in the lower spine is really important. As long as it isn't bringing on any pain. I've always been careful in what extra sports or exercises I do. I notice that I do feel more jarring on bouncy roads, etc. I've met some other people who went out, did everything, but are now paying for it with lower back pain. If he can keep the lower back from fusion and keep it healthy, he'll appreciate it as an adult. Em

Comment

My daughter had selective fusion in which her doctor only fused the upper curve because the bottom curve was a compensatory curve and very flexible so it has already corrected itself a lot, but will continue to adjust to the upper curve. I was worried about the same thing, but I was told there can be problems if they fused more than they needed to. We'll see how it goes! We're very optimistic about it.

Hope all continues to go well.

Comment

Working...
          X