Scoliosis and Polio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gerbo
    i.e. concave to the weaker side?? Very interesting. You couldn't ask him whether he can quote some literature which states/ shows this??

It sounds like you've stumbled on some earth shattering revelation. LOL !

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

It sounds like you've stumbled on some earth shattering revelation. LOL !
      well, there could be an enormous relevance in this, specially if you know that also in progressive idiopatic scoliosis there is a clear muscle imbalance with the weaker muscles on the concave side.

So, if in neurological conditions the muscle imbalance can cause the scoliosis, why could the muscle imbalance in idiopatic scoliosis not be responsible for the progressive nature of the condition??

This is even more relevant if one could halt the progression of scoliosis by effectively dealing with the muscleimbalance (at an early stage) I believe that is what Vert Mooney's article (which i have mentioned before) describes, and apparantly succesful

So, how more earth shattering do you want it??

Comment

Sorry Gerbo, I didn't mean to poke fun It just struck a funny cord when I read it.

Canadian eh
        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

no worries, just getting carried away with my own little theories again, as usual

Comment

Originally posted by gerbo
            This is even more relevant if one could halt the progression of scoliosis by effectively dealing with the muscleimbalance (at an early stage) I believe that is what Vert Mooney's article (which i have mentioned before) describes, and apparantly succesful

So, how more earth shattering do you want it??
            Could you cite that article again?
            God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

celia gave reference in our spinecor-corner

please note, if you want to look into this, that this was only one study in a small group of patients, still, the principles behind it really make sense, so that's why we are doing it with lisanna. We are not using the medx machine, which was unavailable in the UK, but have found a torsotwist machine, which is doing a similar job, in our local gym. We did make sure that our orthopaedic surgeon approved (although he did not want to comment on whether he thought it would work)

You'd have to be very careful starting this off, considering that these machines are build for adults, and not for children, with a good warming up and a skillfull physical therapist to guide you. Happy to give furhter "tips" if you are going to try anything similar

gerbo

Comment

Mom wondered

Originally posted by LindaRacine
                Robin...

Yes, polio caused scoliosis in about 30% of the people who had it:
                In post-polio survivors, the incidence of scoliosis has been estimated at 30%, a rather large number. Factors contributing to scoliosis are the severity of the weakness at the time of the acute illness and the region of the spine affected (the curve location may be dependent on those muscles that are weak). However, there are individuals who have significant spinal deformities with very little demonstrable trunk weakness – only lower extremity problems. The factor important, in this instance, is the age at which the paralysis occurred. The younger the age, the longer the growing period of the individuals and, consequently, the greater the likelihood of the progression of curvature.

In post-polio survivors, the iliotibial band, that thick band of tissue that goes from the side of the pelvis down to the knee, frequently becomes tightened and contracted and can cause the pelvis to tilt. Once a spine is out of balance in a growing individual, scoliosis can progress and develop.

There are different curve types. The classic, paralytic curve not only typical of polio, but also of cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, and some of the other spinal cord lesions, is the long C curve. Other curve patterns may also be present in these cases.

--Linda

My Mom has wondered if there was a connection with my scoliosis and my Grandfather's Polio (Paternal). She felt there was!?! He had a slight hump.

Comment

Working...
                X