Free Care For Children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay,
    Here is some more scoop on Shriners. There are things you may or may not know. All the Shriner Hospitals has a care coordinator. That person will help you find a Shrine Club help you with your expenses for travel, meals, and lodging, if you are strapped financially. As far as staying in the rooms, one parent can stay with the child and the other one can stay in a room on another floor at no cost. So, that takes care of any motels. Our Shrine club allows for $3.50 per meal, which is probably different for others, 3 meals per day, to be used at the hospital cafeteria. Which there have only been two meals this week I thought were awful, so I ate salad bar. The $3.50 is more than ample to eat on at the hospital. So, that takes care of meals. Then, if you are really strapped, some of the Shrine clubs will help with your gas to get to and from the hospital. So, that helps with the travel. Our Shrine Club here also offers these same services for appointments, it is not just for surgery.

For us, it was an easy decision. We had to drive 5 hours, one way, for Crystal's surgery, and yes we used the help from our Shrine Club financially. Gee, what have we spent this week on meals, motel, fuel, maybe $50.00. It has been a great help for us. Without the Shrine Hospital and our local Shrine Club, this surgery for Crystal wouldn't of been possible. Crystal's dream came true because of this hospital and the men that raise money to run it. We ended up with one of the best doctor's in the world. Crystal wasn't fond of him, but it was because his accent was so thick she has to really listen to him talk. But, the day before surgery, she thought he was the greatest. Because, he talked to her, not us. Then, the care she has received has been the best I have ever seen a child receive.

So, the decision was simple for us. So, really check into the services your Shrine Hospital/Shrine Club offer. I even sent another mother, that was out of money and not eating, to our Shrine Club for assistance. Guess what, she is eating for the rest of the stay of her child. She was so thrilled that there was someone there to help her out.

Okay, I'm off my soap box on this one, just wanted you to have more facts.

'til later,
    Nikki
    Last edited by nikyergen; 03-17-2005, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Thank you all for responding to me. I will now start researching individual doctors and try to get visits to the hospitals scheduled for my family. If I get to know the doctor choices more personally, with my daughter in tow, I think I can get her to be comfortable with any surgeon. Right now she gets mad when I consider anybody but Wattenbarger. $7,000 is alot of money, but this is my child's life at stake, not just surgery on a part of the body, but the one that controls all functions of the entire body. If I can find a good surgeon that is as good or better than him, and get my daughter convinced, I could sure put that money elsewhere! I think I will use the research on physicians and see if I can compare their backgrounds, etc., also. I notice Wattenbarger has lots of years of experience but not so many that he is nearing retirement.

Comment

Shriners

Dear Nikki,

That's usually me on the soapbox for Shriners! My son had surgery at the Philadelphia hospital in March 2004 and we still travel from NY to Philadelphia for follow ups a few times a year. I simply would not go anywhere else (we are, in fact, lucky enough to have medical insurance right now but in the past we've been in situations where we too were without it for several months so I know what that's like). Over the past year or so I have gotten to know some of the personnel at the Philly hospital and have learned even more about the selfless work that they do. They have made a huge, wonderful difference in all of our lives. Not only is the care free, but you have access to the best doctors, newest technology, etc. I speak from experience because my son had previously been seeing so-called top drs. in NY for a few years before we learned about a procedure being offered only at Shriners. I guess when the focus in not on money, the doctors can really concern themselves with what's important - helping kids!!

I, for one, will be grateful to Shriners always.

Best regards,

Maria
        mariaf305@yahoo.com
        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

It is for everybody

Inam,
          Shriners Hospital is for everybody. It doesn't matter what you income is. Everyone is treated like a millionaire. You need to check them out. They are the best as far as we are concerned. We have three children treated by them. No matter how much you make in income, you will be treated just like everyone else and never see a bill. It is supported by the Shriners Organizations all over the world. It operates soley on donated money. My husband is a Shriner, but we had never thought about them until another Shriner asked us why we weren't using the Shriners Hospital. I am so glad we were encouraged to use them. You don't have to be anyone special to use them.

Please feel free to call on of the hospitals, you can get their phone numbers off of the internet.

Nikki

Comment

It is for everybody

Yes, anyone can get the very finest in orthopedic care at no cost at Shriners Hospitals. We just returned from the Shriners annual convention in Baltimore. We are not Shriners - but went to attend the opening ceremony and to show our support. Our son had surgery at the Philadelphia Shriners Hospital in March, 2004 and continues to be monitored by the terrific doctors there. We are fortunate enough to presently have medical insurance and, even though we live in NY where many so-called top doctors are, I would not bring my son anywhere but Shriners Hospital in Philadelphia because I saw how much more they had to offer. I guess when you truly just want to help kids, miracles can happen. I'd recommend them to anyone.
            mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Maria,

I was wondering about you, I remember a conversation we had a while back about your son's operation with vertebral body stapling ? How is he doing ? I haven't come across too many parents whose children had the procedure hence my curiosity, although.... this could be a good sign i.e., the procedure works very well and therefore parents don't need the support

Celia

Canadian eh
              Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Hi Celia,

My son is doing very well 16 months after surgery. His curve has gone down about 7 or 8 degrees. I noticed a bit of a difference (for the better) cosmetically - and he's not spending 22 hours a day in a back brace!

While I realize that he still has a long way to go and anything can happen, I could not ask for more - and am very, very happy we went ahead with the stapling. In addition, the more I see of Shriners Hospital and the doctors there, the more I know that I wouldn't want anyone else looking after my son.

Best regards,

Maria
                mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

I'm A Shriners patient In Sacrmento
                  Kara
                  Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                  Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                  T4-L2
                  Before 50T
                  After 20T

Comment

Then I'm sure you are in great hands! I'd love to hear more from you. Did you have surgery at Shriners? My son, now 7 years old, had surgery in March of 2004.

All the best to you,

Maria
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                    X