Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update

Hello everyone, just thought i would post to tell what i was told at my latest appointment. I went up to Mayo(in rochester) on the 29th to have some tests done. They did a CT scan, some blood work, and the normal x-rays they do on post-op appointments. I didnt meet with my doctor until the 30th though. He said that everything was looking great, and everything was healing perfectly which was much to my surprise because when your in so much pain you pretty much expect there to be something wrong. He did have me sent to have a bone scan and some more blood work to check my thyroid but if nothing shows up in there, theres nothing he can do for me in a surgery aspect of it. He is now having me meet with a rheumatologist and also a pain management center to hopefully get me some help with all the different weird pains. I still cant help but wonder if there is something pinched in there because at times i have pains go from my lower back, through my but and down part of my legs...and also ill start with a pain in my neck that will go to my shoulder and then down my arm. Has anyone had experience with a pinched nerve?? I dont know if thats a common pain with pinched nerves or not and i forgot to mention it to my doctor while i was up there. If anyone has any suggestions what so every i would love to hear them! Im taking pain pills, anti-inflammators, and anti-depressants...exercise quite offen and i just dont know what to do with myself anymore. So if you have anything at all for me...id love to hear it!
    Thanks a bounch
    Sincerely,
    Abby Jo
    18 year old female
    scoliosis curve of 50-60 degrees
    corrective surgery done at age 12( 2001), first surgery a screw went through a vertebra, was then closed up and then re-opened two days later.
    After second surgery, fusion was a success.
    Rods, hooks, and screws put in.
    Fall of 2004 in volleyball, fractured three vertebra's, on June 2nd, 2005 surgery was completed to fix that, old rods were taken out and replaced by stronger ones.

Hey Abby Jo, my name is Amanda. I had fusion for my scoliosis in Feb. of 2005 and continued to have pain in my thoracic spine between my spine and right scap. It limited my range of motion in my shoulder and often kept me awake at night or from doing normal things. I continued to take narcotic pain meds from that day on. My doctor did a bone scan and multiple x rays and the such to see if anything was wrong but he couldnt explain it. So...his only choice was to do surgery and see if it would help. He took the rod on the right side out (leaving the one on the left in), and I have not had the same pain since then. He removed it on Dec. 15 2005. I truly think that it was sitting on a nerve. Before I never regained feeling in my upper right back and had the limited range of motion the entire time. I can now feel most of my back (have some numbness because of the incision) and have regained my range of motion. I had been having problems with my right lung not expanding from the first surgery and now feel like I can breathe again. It has helped so much. I hope that you are able to figure out what is causing your pain. I know what it is like to have to live with it. Let us know what they say.
    Mandy

Comment

Working...
    X