Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth it?

Well, I have been ignoring this issue for over a year now but I don't think I can get away with it any more. I have an S curve thats in the lower part of my back (I think my doctor said they would have to fuse 2 lumbar vertabrae...so I guess its kinda in the middle...) and this past summer it was at 56 degrees I think...there is a smaller curve but he says its a result of the main one... and its been getting worse about 2 degrees a year... right now you still can't really tell that I have it...my shoulders are fibothers me if I stand or sit too long. It has started to hurt a bit when I go to see movies now, but when its over and I walk around a bit its fine. So I don't have ne, and my ribcage is a bit funny but its not really noticable... it only any major problems which makes this seem more awful. I'm not really in pain. So lets stick a rod in my back and make it painful so that its straight. However, it is only going to get worse and I would rather screw up my senior year of high school than my freshman year in college. But I was wondering how things are years after surgery. My doctor mentioned at some point that as you get older, there is more strain put on the remaining lumbar vertabrae that aren't fused together and I guess they sometimes have to extend it down later. So is it really worth it for me to do this? And a few months after surgery... if your back is hurting from too much standing, does it help to sit? Or vise versa? Or do you have to lie down. And are crappy matresses an issue? My doctor's appointment is the 19th (*cringe*) so I figure I'm gonna have to bite the bullet at set a date for surgery..and its going to have to be after memorial day... but band camp starts the last week of July. I don't know how much I will be able to do, and I expect alot of that will depend on how the surgery goes and my physical condition...I really should start exercising I think...they have to remove my diaphragm or something and I think breathings going to be an issue for awhile...but anyways, the second week of band camp we go away to a college and stay in the dorms, which have really crappy beds, and I'm worried that that will cause a problem. Any advice, suggestions, or past experience?
    *When life closes a door ~ it opens a window...so jump*

slow down! try not to panic about this, you sound like you don't have many reasons for choosing surgery and you don't have to do it... i had surgery as i was 18 and already in pain, unhappy with the way i looked and wanted things sorted out. i'm 5 months down the line today and i'm indescribably happy that i did it. i'm back to normal (though i've had a really quick recovery)

you're talking a lot about beds: my mum asked my surgeon about it and he said a lot of companies stick "orthopaedic" on their products to sound impressive and as long as you have a firm mattress and turn it so it wears evenly, you should be fine

i stopped getting pain at about 6 weeks after surgery, but still felt tired easily up to about 10 or 12 weeks and would have to sit down - part of this depends on how long you're actually in surgery and how extensive an operation you require

lumbar disk degeneration tends to only occur in long fusions (those which incorporate thoracic and lumbar vertebrae) because of the increased in weight which the spine has to bear (short fusions like mine, there shouldn't be a problem but you never know)

basically, it's a balance. there are short term drawbacks (pain, i missed out on travelling and partying this summer, i've had to take a year off before i go to university but that was my choice) but it's a huge long term gain. the risk you run by putting surgery off is your curve progressing, your health deteriorating and the result of your surgery not being as good as it could be now. i think you still have some time to consider it all - don't rush into it
    diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
    braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
    fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
    Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
    scoliosis support forum

Comment

Hi:
      I was very interested in your name "band geek" because my two girls call themselves "band nerds." Carrie is in the high school marching band plays a clarinet, and Melissa is in the jr. high band and plays the trumpet.

Anyway, I'd like to address your concerns about band, if I can. Carrie has a 48T/38L curve and will be having surgery on Jan. 23, 2006. Her orthopedic surgeon has said that she should still be able to attend band camp that starts around Aug. 1. She demonstrated all of the moves that she has to do when marching (squaring up, etc.) and the dr. said she should be able to do all of those things within 6 months. Also, the weight of the clarinet is not a concern, like you said.

Carrie is a jr. in high school this year and she said she would rather have the surgery during this school year (after marching season), than to have to miss out on band camp and marching next year. Her curves had progressed 4 degrees in 6 months and we felt like her pain and increase in curves were a deal breaker and it should be taken care of as soon as possible.

We have been dealing with scoliosis and surgery questions for more than a year and we have done a lot of research and reading, and we have met with three patients of our doctor. (They were wonderful kids with wonderful outcomes). We are working with her school to get home bound tutoring in place, and she will go to the blood bank on Monday to get typed and tested and we will start the blood donations soon after that.

For Carrie and our family, this is a good time for this surgery. She just wants the curves to stop and she doesn't even worry about the look of the correction. She wants to have this behind her and to get on with her life. Our dr. has said it is easier on younger people too--they heal faster, not to mention that mom and dad are at home to help during the recovery period. Also, as Carrie gets older and attends college, gets a job, gets married, has children, she will just continue to get busier and busier, and it will be tougher to take time to have the surgery.

I hope this has helped you. I don't pretend to know everything, just what we have read and been told and what we are going through. I can totally understand your feelings about band--that is all we talk about in our household--the girls are very active and my husband and I are members of the band booster clubs.

Marie

Comment

Working...
      X