Sacrum-are screws o.k.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacrum-are screws o.k.?

Someone told me their surgeon put screws in their sacrum. Their sacrum is now broke. They went to see a different surgeon and was told that a surgeon should never put screws in the sacrum. Does anyone know if this is a true statement?

Kindest Regards,
    Gail

Gail,
    Your friend may be a bit confused on her anatomy. The sacrum is also known commonly as the "tailbone" area. The doc is right, I wouldn't think a physican would put screws into the sacral area. The screws are put in to the pelvic bones not the sacrum. The pelvis is made up of a pretty thick bone. The doc your friend talked to should have continued with the conversation, so he could have clarified where the screws do go. I had 8 in my pelvis, that were placed after my A/P
    SandyC

Comment

Sandy,

The second surgeon told her the screws should have been placed in the pelvic, but instead were put in the sacrum. So, the second doctor did clarify. I was just trying to find out if the second doctor was correct...unfortunately, he must be correct and the first surgeon wrong. What a shame!

Kindest Regards,
      Gail

Comment

Hi Gail...

Sorry Sandy... Screws are commonly used in the sacrum. There are actually screws made specifically for the sacrum. There are pros and cons to using them. You may want to do a PubMed search on SACRUM SCREWS, as there is quite a bit of research on the subject.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed

I also know someone who had sacral screws, and whose sacrum broke afterward. The surgeon is someone I trust very much, and who told me in retrospect, that they probably should have used iliac fixation.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
        X