Jamie is 1 year post-op!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamie is 1 year post-op!!!!

I can't believe today is Jamie's one year anniversary. What a differerence a year can make!

Thank you, everyone, for your support, information, prayers, and friendship Without the support of this forum, the journey with Jamie's Kyphoscoliosis would have been unbearable.

With this being her one year mark, it feels like we may be coming to the end of this journey and it feels so good to be at this point. Jamie says the end isn't here until she has her one year check-up, but thankfully that's only a few weeks away.

Again, thank you,
    Mary Lou

congratulations!!! im so happy that youve reached the end!!!!

Comment

Mary Lou & Jamie,
      Congratulations on the one year mark. It's been a big long old year I bet. I know it has been with us. Thank you for being there for us when we have questions and just to listen.

Nikki

Comment

Woo-Hoo for Jamie! and Mom too! These anniversaries are something to celebrate, that's for sure. Glad to hear she's doing well.

I agree (time and time again) that forums and messageboards are such a great way to get through the emotional load when dealing with serious things like scoliosis surgery. I don't know what I'd do without the support of so many people. It helps to know we aren't alone and that someone else really does understand what life is like. Even well-meaning family members can't always offer the support we need, sometimes.

Take care and here's to another great year post-op!
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

10 year old with left thoracic scoliosis

Hello - I was wondering if there is anyone whose child has scoliosis that curves from the right to the left? I have read online that only 1-2% of the population with scoliosis has this kind of curve. My daughter is going for a MRI on Monday and I have been worried about her. My husband has scoliosis that curves from the right to the left and I am hoping she inherited it from him. Thanks

Comment

Hi Brenda,

How old is your daughter? Does she have idiopathic (no known cause) or congenital (malformation of one or more vertebrae) scoliosis? My son, Braydon, is 10yrs old. He has congenital scoliosis. His curve is the a-typical kind like you mentioned. I think the statistics you read about (1-2% of scoliosis is right to left curve) is for typical adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. I don't know this for certain because I don't know the exact reference you read. I do know that if your daughter is under 10yrs old and has scoliosis, an MRI is not a bad idea. Scoliosis in young children is not common. Having an MRI to rule out any spinal cord issues is a good idea. Keep us posted on what they MRI shows and what the ortho recommends. Interesting your husband has scoliosis too.
            Carmell
            mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Mary Lou, congratulations! Kris

Comment

Thanks for all the good wishes. We had a great day yesterday. We went all out with our celebration. Complete with a ride to and from school, balloons, cake, pizza in front of the TV while watching her favorite show and the best part for Jamie--she got her nails done for the first time. She was so excited!!!

I have great news for Jamie when she gets home--I got her an appointment with the surgeon for this Monday after school! (the office told me to call occasionally to see if they get a cancellation) That is a full month before her scheduled appointment. As long as he says it's okay, we'll probably go directly to Hersheypark to ride at least one rollercoaster. Yes, the park is still open. They do a great display of lights for Christmas and actually have several rides open.

Mary Lou

Comment

Congrats on reaching the 1 year mark. I hope everything keeps going well. It really is amazing the difference a year can make.
                  Brenda, my daughters curve is also atypical. She is now 18 months post op.
                  Best wishes.
                  Cheryl

Comment

Mary Lou, how close are you to Hershey, PA? My girl scout troop debated at long weekend trip to Hershey, primarily to hit the amusement park, a few years ago. We nixed the idea, partly because we went through the finances and chose to stay closer to home to spend our cookie money, and partly because my coleader (she's also my best friend, but of course we don't always agree), was more willing than some other parents, including me, to drive straight through going and returning, basically 11 hours each way, just for a day or two. I used to live in Ohio, but I have never been to Hershey. I have been to Erie, Pittsburgh, Philly, though. Guess my parents never had the undying urge to view the chocolate factory, or maybe that didn't offer tours in my the 1960's, when we toured everything between Ohio and any other vacation spot we went to when I was young. Have fun on those rides! My daughter felt sick to her stomach on the easier (non-jerky) rides at Carowinds in SC last week, as she went up in the air to swing/fly around with the girl scouts on a few rides. No back pain, but as she said, her stomach was uncomfortable. Have fun! Kris

Comment

Kris,

We live about 25 minutes from Hersheypark and always had season passes every year. Not having them this year was hard on Jamie. The hospital where Jamie is treated is also located in Hershey.

The factory use to offer tour years ago, but for health reasons, they now have a place called Chocolate World that shows you how the chocolate is made, but it just isn't as good as a tour of the factory. I think everyone use to go on a field trip from school to the factory at least once.

Would I recommend driving 11 hours each way just to go to Hersheypark? I don't think I'd do it. The park is great, but not worth it to me to drive 11 hours each way unless I planned to visit a lot of other things in the area-like the Amish country, the museums in Harrisburg, etc. If you every decide to come to Hershey, let me know, we'll have to get together. Plus I'd be glad to suggest some things to do while here.

If Jamie decides to go to the park, I'll let you know how it goes. I'm glad your daughter had fun on the rides. Sorry to hear her stomach was upset though. I'm sure it was worth it though!

Mary Lou

Comment

roller coasters

Hi Mary Lou,
                        don't know why I am up so late. Anyway, I think you talked to my husband Ed back in Aug/Sept when Nicole first got diagnosed. You had told him about the support group. That was before we knew there was a support group right here in Phila at Shriner's. Neither of us have felt the need to go. Just being on this site and SpineKids has been all the therapy I have needed. I don't know what I would have done if I had not found these sites. Anyway, thanks so much for your support.
                        I was just looking through these posts tonight. That is great that Jamie is 1-year post-op. And I agree with you that Hersheypark's tours of the chocolate factory were amazing. How sad they did away with them. I love Hersheypark, but would not recommend driving more than a couple of hours to go there.
                        Did I understand you that Jamie is allowed on roller coasters? I thought after surgery you weren't allowed to go on roller coasters. I guess it depends on the individual, right? Anyway, thank you for all the support you give. If Nicole ever needs surgery, I will be so grateful to all who will continue to keep me grounded. Have a good night.

Melissa
                        Melissa
                        From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                        Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

If I am correct, roller coasters are off-limits for the first year post-op. Kris

Comment

Hi Melissa,

Yes, I've talked with your husband. I think it is great that he too gets involved directly with your daughter's Scoliosis. It seems like it is always the Moms who are looking for answers, new research, etc.

Our support group is going well. Like you, I found this forum and Jamie never wanted to attend a support group. But now, she loves talking to and helping others deal with their Scoliosis. She is especially good with helping others prepare for surgery.

Is Jamie allowed on rollercoasters? I'm assuming so, but we will ask the doctor on Monday. He told her at her six month check-up no amusement parks and no rollercoasters (among other things) and he said not until one year.

By the way, you are very welcome for the advice/support you receive here from all of us. What would we do without each other? Please keep your experiences coming with the SpineCor. There is a lot of talk about the brace, but not too many people willing to share their experiences. Thanks.

Mary Lou

Comment

hi marylou
                              sorry i missed jamie's one year anniversary just haven't checked in here in about a week. Congratulations to Jamie. Sounds like she had a great day. Let me know how the dr. appointment goes and what he says about going to hersey and riding on a rollercoaster. I think my dr. says that they can go on rides at one year, but no rollercoasters until 2 years, but every dr. is different.
                              Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                              X