Info about revision surgical procedures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info about revision surgical procedures

I have David K. Wolpert's book, and it is very informative, but as I'm getting surgery for a broken rod(among other things), I would like to know if there are other types of books explaining these revision procedures(especially hardware breakage and fusion problems), and what is best, since I want to get another rod installed instead of just taking it out, but I still have questions about the procedures and all the ways they can fix it. My ortho told me that I can decide what to do, but I'm not sure 100%, as I'm not a doctor
    Last edited by sweetness514; 12-03-2005, 02:52 PM.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Sweetness...

There are no books written for consumers on the topic of revision surgery. There are some textbooks for medical students that cover some of what you're looking for, but I don't think they'll be of any help. You may want to get a second opinion, which can give you a lot of information.

If all that needs to be done is remove the old rods, add fusion material and reinstrument, there's not really a lot of options.

Regards,

Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Ok, thanks. I thought maybe some links but think it's personal to every person and surgeon. I will talk to my surgeon on the morning of the surgery(as he told me), so we will discuss it even more there. He's the best in town and I already had other opinions, and he's the one who gave the most info, but I come up with new questions everyday . I prefer to put everything back the way it is, but I was wondering on a few issues but will ask him, he's already answered a lot. I have to give two units of blood, wich I think is a lot, since it's the same as my first surgery but this time I was told that the recycling machine won't be in the OR, since it's not used for smaller surgeries. Weird.
      Last edited by sweetness514; 12-03-2005, 06:04 PM.
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi...

I always think it's best, if you trust the surgeon, to let them just do what they feel is the best.

Best of luck!

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hello Sweetness,

I'm a little concerned that you have some questions for your surgeon and you will ask him these questions the morning of your surgery. In my opinion, that is a little too late. I would like to suggest that you set up another appt. or email your surgeon and ask all your questions before you get to the hospital.

Kindest Regards,
          Gail

Comment

Thanks, mostly my questions are last minute jitters. He said that we could do three things; either take out the rod IF there is no pseudarthrosis(wich is unlikely), put a smaller one in and add fusion to the spot that COULD have a non union, OR take out the broken one and add a whole new one, wich is what I'm leaning toward since I dread any type of curve coming back. My questions are mostly about how the entire procedure would be, and he did answer most of those at our last appointment but I would like a refresher and with all the questions I did ask and the stress, some are forgotten

In Canada, it could be hard to reach him, but if I press I know I could. What he does with his patients is ask anything we want to know before the surgery(like the fact that I want dissolvable stitches, as he told me to remind him that morning), so it's fresh in his mind and we have a communication between us. Thank you for your concern, now all I need is to try to relax

Comment

Working...
            X