Could this pain be from my Harrington Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this pain be from my Harrington Rod

I am a 40 year old female and had surgery for my scoliosis in 1978 when I was 12. I have a harrington rod. I've never had any real problems until now. I've always had neck pain which comes and goes but it's not debilitating. For about the last year, I've had lots of lower back pain. It's worse in the morning when I get up and gets better throughout the day. Lately, I can't seem to find a sleep position that doesn't hurt my lower back. I work out regularly and also found that weight training was getting excrutiating so I stopped. I don't slouch forward when I walk but my lower back always bothers me. Could I have "flat-back" syndrome? How is it diagosed? I've also been reading and found that there is a correlation between scoliosis and osteoporosis--- Does anyone know anything about this???

Hi Awhite...

No one can tell you whether you have flatback until they've examined you. I'd encourage you to make an appointment with one of the great doctors in your area who have a lot of experience in treating people with prior scoliosis fusions. The names I hear the most in that context are Frank Brand (Boston) and Oheneba Boachie (NYC).

Here's a reference that does a great job in explaning flatback:

http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...rticle308.html

Regards,
    LInda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

a typo

Awhite

Lindas suggested doctor list contained a typo, I believe she meant Dr Rand at New England Baptist in Boston. I had revision with him last Feb...all is well. Cam

Comment

Thanks Cam... guess I didn't proof the post.

--L
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

sleeping with low back pain...

Hello Awhite,

As far as sleeping with low back pain... I think it could help to have a good mattress... I would also suggest that you try sleeping with your legs propped up with pillows... some may say to prop the pillows under your knees... This may help to take the pressure off your low back...

Feel free to email me for more info... askforken@aol.com

Comment

Flat back syndrome

The way flat back syndrome was explained to me is this: It's when they overcorrect during a fusion. Your spine is supposed to have a curve from the side view, but back in the 80th they didn't know this would be a problem. When my Doc told me about this I was like, "what? you mean I'm too straight?" It really threw me for a loop. But what I didn't know, and he forgot to mention, is that it can be corrected. Does anyone know how this is done?

Georgian
            spinal fusion 1985 T-6 to L-3, revision surgery T-3 to T-6 in 2005.

Comment

Yes, Georgian, it's corrected with osteotomies. You can see a description here:

http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...rticle308.html

--Linda

Comment

Working...
              X