Had in August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had in August

Hey there, I had my back surgury in August and I was wondering .................If any one else has had two metal rods also inserted into their back..after the doctors have straitened it.I think it was like an 8 hour surgury.I was wondering because my back still hurts and also do u guys think its normal to still feel like your curvature is still really noticable..even though others say its barely there...????
    I also wondered ..well Im 16 and was wondering if any other girls have this clothing thing..like really like to be trendy..in an urban area,because Im moving to a city ina couple of days and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what to buy that will also keep my back at a minimum ........uhhh...bend ..looking????help please!.thankyou!

Hi Amanda
    My daughter is 18 months post op. After her surgery she still had pain for a few months. She has two rods and lots of screws and hooks.
    It is a big surgery and it does take time for everything to heal and for you to feel comfortable being in a different postion.
    Dress in clothes that you are comfortable in. If you are not comfortable any problems that you have will be more noticable because of the way that you will move and tug at your clothing. If you are concious of your back wear loose, flowing type tops. these can be with thin straps (remember to protect your scar with sun cream) or with sleeves.
    When my daughter was recovering and wanted some new clothes. I went into the shops that she wanted to go to and explained to them that she had had back surgery and had difficulty changing clothes etc.. could they tell me when was their quietess times so that she could have a little more room and privacy. Every shop that I went to was very helpfull and gave even more help than normal.
    Best wishes
    Cheryl

Comment

i had the same surgery you did in may...my back still hurts sometimes usually when i've been leaning over at school working on a paper or when i've been cleaning and sorting stuff...it'll get better as you get farther post-op the pain gets smaller and smaller. Well i cant really help you with the clothes part because well i don't worry about my back...plus i never noticed my curve so im not really selfconcious...just wear what you like.
      ~Shannon~
      Surgery: May 25th 2005! Woot!
      13 months Post-op
      E-mail me!:
      starchild_81212@yahoo.com or Star_child_81212@msn.com

Comment

hi

Thanx ,cherl
        Yeah my surgury was the one where the break or straighten the curvature and then they drill holes in every vertibre and put hooks or screws to hold two metal poles or rods against the spine.I am 4 months recovering surgury.It hurts still and I am very self consious,I know my back is strightened like a board no more curve but its weird because it feels like its still there.normal?
        Anyways thank you for your advice and I hope your childs recovery is as best as possible.your super.have a great day!
        -Amanda(Amanda~n~b)

Comment

Ok thanx, yeah there is no curve any more, but sometimes it feels like it,,,do you ever check...i do.My back is as straight as a board but it feels like its there ,thankyou for the reply...post thing...right then.have a good day!

Comment

hey.
            i was 16 in july, and in august '05 i had my scoliosis treated at the NOC in Oxford. the hospital messed us around from day one, so we decided we would go private. i wont bore you with all the details, but i first realised i had scoliosis in aug '04. i was determined not to believe something was wrong, and i was in denial until the day of the op (17th aug 05). i feel that after the op life is better. i wasnt in any pain berore the op because my scoliosis wasnt painful. the procedure was straightforward, and thankfully i had the support of my friends and family. the operation was a success. i remember waking up and thinking to myself why cant i move? apparantly i asked to see my surgeon and was told that he had gone. after falling asleep and waking again, i asked to see him again, i was told he was busy. i fell aslepp for a third time, and when i woke up i asked to see him. this time i did. the only thing i can remember doing is saying thank you to him.
            when my parents told me that i had said thank you to him i couldnt believe it. at the time i just wished i hadnt had the op. i was in pain and i hated it.
            throughout my 10-day stay in hospital i was very depressed. i constantly refused to get out of bed and do my walking excercises. i swore at my phisiotherapist, and constantly told my parents i hated them for doing this to me. i threw food and drinks at my nurses, refused to eat and drink, and was just so depressed i contemplated suicide.
            in aug '04 my curve was about 72degrees, by the day of my op it had incresed to 98degrees.
            my operation itself was 5hrs. they put metal rods in my back, and took some of my ribs out to fuse it together. i also have metal clips at the top of my back, and near the bottom.
            my surgery is not causing me any pain at the moment. at times my neck and shoulders get sore, but it isnt painful.

Comment

Working...
            X