Possible connection to Scoliosis & Lupus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible connection to Scoliosis & Lupus

I have had 2 spinal fusions (t6 to l3) & (t3 to t6)
    I am 8 months post second surgery and am having way too many problems. I have filed for social security disability and was sent to one of their docs. He asked me why I didn't tell him that I also had Lupus. I didn't even know what Lupus was so I looked it up. And I have 90% of the symptoms. I thought all my problems were a result of my surgery and now I'm finding out that the problems may have been brought on by the surgery but are caused by something else. Possible Lupus. Tell me what you think?
    Symptoms: chronic fatigue, chronic pain and swelling of joints, severe arthritis, frequesnt cold sores, skin rashes (mine is known as butterfly mask) hair loss, migrane headaches, chest pains, low blood count, trouble thinking straight, anxiety, depression, manic behaviors, trouble sleeping, bruises of unknown origin, anemia, dizziness, clumsiness, and unsteadiness.

I thought all of these symptoms were surgery related or medication related, but it seems as if there may be something else.

Anyone else know of any connection between the 2 diseases or Fibromyalgia?

Georgian
    spinal fusion 1985 T-6 to L-3, revision surgery T-3 to T-6 in 2005.

lupus/scoliosis

I have never heard of a connection. Check the link below.

http://www.lupus.org/
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Gigi060,
      I don't want to be mean or hurtful, but why haven't you asked your doctor about your systems? There is no need to answer, just something to think about
      SandyC

Comment

Hi Gigi...

I'm so sorry about your pain. Please seek help about what your symptoms are, a girl I met through another forum had a lot of the same and it is Lupus in her case. Please don't give up, and take it one step at a time, you can get relief from whatever pains you have.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

wow, this sounds just like me. I just thought it was from stress. I will have to look into it and see if there is a connection. I have been diog. with fibramyalga which is similar. I do know that in some cases with fusions. you will develop bacteria around that rod and this will cause some of the same problems.

Comment

Lupus & Scoliosis

I will see one surgeon on Tues and another on Thurs. I asked to question to see if anyone else was going through the same thing as me. I wasn't asking for a diagnosis, just checking to see what I can find out. The more knowledgeable I am when I go to see the surgeon, I feel I will ask better questions.

Georgian

Comment

Lupus

My Lupus test came back negative, thank the lord. I sure don't need another thing wrong, on top of the continuing scoliosis, flat back, terrible nerve damage, osteoporous, 2 spinal fusions, one of which seems to have failed, headaches everyday, arthritis, DDD, a broken rib caused by the hammering and chiseling on my back, and who knows what else.

Georgian

Comment

Working...
              X