first extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first extension

Hi to everyone and thank you for your advice in advance.
    My daughter Shelby will be going in for her first extension on Dec. 13.
    She had the extension rods (or growth rods) done back in June. I know she'll recover faster, but how fast? From what I've read, the more often these are done the faster the kids seem to get themselves to recover. Any advice on how the first one goes would be great. Thanks, Em.

Hi Em,

Braydon's VEPTR expansions go fairly smooth for him. Most of that is because we make sure they have the right "recipes" for anesthesia and post-op pain management. The incisions are smaller so that helps too. Braydon usually stays overnight one night to keep his pain well controlled. His biggest problem after surgery is muscle spasms. I've finally convinced them to SCHEDULE valium for the 24-hours after surgery. Huge help for him.

Braydon usually stays home from school for about a week after surgery. The second week he'll go back to school 1/2-days. Then the third week he's back to school full time.

You know your daughter best. Try to write down what worked in the past, and what didn't, so you can avoid any problems. Also, she can help you figure out what she needs and doesn't need. Take cues from her.

Good luck and let us know how things go.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

We have about three weeks off for break, so phsyically and mentally Shelby will be ready. Med wise, I'll only let her have vicadin, the ty-co makes her sick and she's extremely grumpy on the valium. Surprisingly, she manages this pain much better than when she gets migrains. Em.

Comment

Working...
      X