No announcement yet.

surgery in 2 weeks - blood question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't get to ask TSRH about blood today. It turned out that it was the psychology dept. from there calling to get some info, so they weren't the ones to talk to about blood. That and trying to fit in 5 or 6 other medical and school (David's) calls in between teaching classes pretty much ate up my day. I was chugging a protein drink, making phone calls and working on lesson plans for my absence during my lunch period when a teacher had an emergency and I was called to cover her class until someone else could get there. I know, I'll email the surgeon's nurse! I forgot that I had her email address.

David seemed a bit better today and did go to school. I should get the results of the blood work they did in the morning, if I can squeeze in a call.

Thanks for all the good, practical advice, everybody! I'm pretty wiped out at the moment or I'd go into more detail and maybe have some worthwhile questions to ask. But I did want to acknowledge your time and effort - it is truly, truly appreciated.

SanD
    Son, David, age 16 1/2, had T-5 to T-11 fusion/instrumentation surgery at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital Dec. 12, '05 to hold major curve
    Diagnosed Feb. '03, T36*, L28*
    Boston TLSO brace
    May '03 T44*, L36*
    July '04 T54*, L45* d/c brace, not holding curves
    June '05 T68*, L48*
    Initial post-surgery estimate T55*, L45*

Comment

Hi S&D,
      When my son had his surgerys{two}, he donated two units of blood each time. The hospital he had it done at, also recyles the blood. He ended up using his blood for his first surgery. He got it on the fifth day post op. And that was only because his energry level was below average. His doctor told us he was going to give it to him to raise his energy, so he wouldn't be sleeping so much. He made a point of telling us, that he wouldn't have given him blood, if he didn't have his own to use, and he would have been fine without it.
      For his second surgery, he used none of the two that he donated. I truely believe in the recycling of blood during surgery. When we were at the blood donation center, they stressed to us how safe the blood is that comes from the blood banks. They said that each unit goes through intense testing, and is very safe to use.
      I wish yous the best of luck with the surgery and I hope he has a speedy recovery. Oh, and I almost forgot. My son also passed out in school, just after he found out he needed a second surgery. I chucked it up to nerves. But we still have to watch him, for he has done it another time since. His doctor thinks it could be low blood sugar. But, he now knows the signs. He gets really light headed, hot and sick to his stomach just before he passes out. His doctor told him, if he gets to feeling this way, he should lay down, if that isn't possible, then he is to put his head down on the desk, and let another student alert the teacher.
      I hope this has helped you some.
      Take Care
      LeaEvelyn

Comment

i had to have two pints of blood given to me in a transfusion

Comment

Working...
        X