Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Herniated Disc under Harrington Rod, Pelvic Rotation, No Insurance. Thinking about SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herniated Disc under Harrington Rod, Pelvic Rotation, No Insurance. Thinking about SS

Hello,

I just joined today. A week ago, I started having a sharp, "grabbing" pain in my lower right rib cage and a bone "shearing" pain in my upper and lower left hip. Sore tailbone and one herniated disc below Harrington Rod.

Went to Chiropractor ASAP---X ray showed right pelvic side up and left side down--some twisting taking place, I think right side is leaning back and left is twisting forward.

Looking for good a surgeon (in Indianapolis, Indiana) and some kind of assistance. I do not have insurance. Could filing for Social Security help? My Chiropractor says I should apply.
    Age 37. Had S-Curve treated with Harrington Rod Fusion at top of spine, lower spine fusion with hip bone chip filler at age 13. Wore plaster body cast for 8 months during 8th grade. Was treated by Dr. G. Rapp at St. Vincent's Hospital in Indianapolis, IN. Currently have pain from pelvic rotation and a herniated disc. Thinking about surgery and SS.

Donna,
    First let me suggest that you need to see an orthopedist that deals with ADULT SCOLI patients. A Chiro is not qualified to deal with scoliosis and could possible do more damage to your already delicate spine. A Chiro can't make an accurate measurement of the "twist and turns" that your spine is making. A lot of docs will work with you on monthly payments.

I would also get an attorney that deals with SS. You won't have to pay him until you win your case. The reason I suggest this is that the SS system is really, really horrendous. It took me nearly 5 years to get it!!! You must document everything in the mean time
    SandyC

Comment

Thank you

Sandy,

Thank you for responding. I will take your advice.

I have been searching the internet for close doctors who treat scoliosis patients who already have a Harrington Rod in place. I just started looking, so I'm sure there is one out there somewhere.

Did you have Adult Surgery?
      Age 37. Had S-Curve treated with Harrington Rod Fusion at top of spine, lower spine fusion with hip bone chip filler at age 13. Wore plaster body cast for 8 months during 8th grade. Was treated by Dr. G. Rapp at St. Vincent's Hospital in Indianapolis, IN. Currently have pain from pelvic rotation and a herniated disc. Thinking about surgery and SS.

Comment

Donna,
        Yes, I had A/P done at UCSF in 2001 at the age of 52. I had a harrington which was removed back in the '80s because in broke. I developed "flatback syndrome", which is why I had the A/P done.

If you look under the "search" on this site you will find a list of docs and what people thought of them and where they are.
        SandyC

Comment

Hi Donna...

I don't personally know of any surgeons in Indiana who treat a lot of patients with prior fusions. However, this physician has good credentials, and might be worth checking out:

http://www.orthoresearchfoundtn.com/mfc_cv.html

Here are a few others to check out:

http://www.riverview.org/referral/re...sc.html?id=101
          http://www.orthone.com/physicians/hoffman.asp

The best ways I can think of to find a surgeon are:

1) Make appointments with as many as you can. When you go for your appointment, be sure to ask how many revision surgeries they have done, and get the names and phone numbers for at least 2-3, and be sure to call them. It would be good to find someone who does at least 10-12 such surgeries in a year. And, ask about their outcomes from these surgeries. Don't be timid!

2) Check out a support group in your area. The only one I know of in Indiana is in Carmel. If you're interested, contact Randee Miller at randeemill @ aol.com (without the spaces).

Best of luck!

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks for the wonderful advice

Thanks for the wonderful advice!

This forum is a total blessing! The internet would have been a great resource when I had my surgery 14 years ago.

Thanks again,
            Donna

Comment

Hi Donna...

You're welcome.

I'm sorry to hear that you had your surgery only 14 years ago. It was well known, at that time, that Harrington implants caused problems when implanted on the lumbar spine, and there was a much better alternative available.

Regards,
              Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

perhaps

How about this? Look at the pelvic pictures...
                http://www.healing.org/only-3.html

Comment

Working...
                X