Muscle Spasms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle Spasms

Well it has been awhile since I have been here. Amber, 16, is now 18 months post op. She was fused T4 to L4. Everything has been going really well. Up until now that is. 3 weeks ago her back got really sore, I took her to our local dr and we were told that the muscles had gone into spasm.
    Well now she is back on morphine for pain relief. It is just not getting any better. She can still walk around and all that but she is in alot of pain.
    We have an appointment the a surgeon tomorrow and she had x-rays done a couple of days ago.
    Has anyone else had this happen or heard of this happening. We are at a loss as to what to do. Does anyone have any ideas on pain relief, I have tried everything that I can think of.
    Cheryl

We have been to see the surgeon. He is not sure what is going on in Amber's back and has ordered blood tests and a bone scan. He gave us a list of possible things that it could be and how we are going to rule them out. He did say that it could even go away by itself without us ever finding out what it is. It could be something as simple as an infection or something more serious like a cracked fusion or a problem with the rods. It is very scary to hear that all this time after surgery that the rods may need to come out.
    Is there anyone else who has gone through any of this?
    Best wishes everyone
    Cheryl

Comment

I would just like to add, for anyone reading this and getting worried about having the surgery. Amber says that the surgery was definitely worth it and if she was going into now, knowing all she does and with this recent problem, she would still have it done. She would like to send encouragement and good wishes to everyone who is now facing surgery.
      Cheryl

Comment

Hello Cheryl,
        I was wondering how Amber has been doing.
        I followed your story back then as my dtr was preparing for surgery, you had many good suggestions.
        I am sorry Amber is having some problems.
        Stephanie never said the surgery was worth it untill just yesterday.
        She has pain sometimes but says she thinks it is bc of the way she slept in a funny position. I hope it is nothing serious and know this is stressful for you both, my prayers are with you.
        Sounds like the Dr's will figure it out for her I'm sure.
        Good Luck and keep us posted,mamakay
        now 16 yr old daughter
        with worsen 65 degree upper curve
        surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

Thankyou Mamakay, I do remember you and Stephanie. I actually had a bit of a read of some of my old threads the other day. (over 2,000 reads , wow). It is amazing how far we have come since then. Before this problem Amber was running and jumping down stairs etc, being a normal 16 yr old. I'm glad everything is well at your end.
          Amber had her blood tests done yesterday and is having a nuclear bone scan done on Monday. That should show is there is anything major going on. Amber is convinced that nothing will show up and one day it will just be better. I would love for that to happen but personally I would like to have an answer as to why it happened.
          She is now on 25mg of morphine twice a day as well as valium and anti-inflamitories and paracetamol and codine. It is not helping to ease her pain.
          Does anyone have any 'natural' ideas? I've tried heat packs, but is there anything else?
          Best wishes to all
          Cheryl

Comment

child's pain

I am sending you a pm with my ideas.
            Karen
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Amber has been for blood tests and a nuclear bone scan now. We are waiting for the results to come in.
              Her pain levels are the same though she does seem to be becoming used to it. Most here will know what I mean....
              Ice and heat are giving slight relief but it is not lasting long.
              Best wishes to everyone
              Cheryl

Comment

Cheryl,
                Please keep us posted and our prayers are with you.

Comment

Hey Cheryl. I'm sorry to hear that Amber is now have more problems. I really hope she starts to feel better. Well, just so you know, I also had muscle spasms about 8 mon. postop. And they are not fun. They really hurt. But, thank God, they went away after about 2 months. I hope she feels better soon. Keep us updated. You are in my prayers.
                  Happy Thanksgiving! Ross
                  Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
                  www.myspace.com/ross40728
                  Had surgery on 9/20/04
                  81* Scheuermann's Disease
                  40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
                  U Rod Inserted
                  Fused from T2-L3

Comment

Matt, did you ever find out what caused the muscle spasms? Did that happen around the same time as the problem with the wire? What did you do for the spasms when you were going through it?
                    Amber's blood tests have come back good and we are just waiting on the bone scan now.
                    Thankyou to everyone for all the good wishes.
                    My msn addy for anyone who wants it is wonkywalka@hotmail.com, yahoo is the same name but @yahoo.com.au
                    Happy thanksgiving to all you Americans.
                    Cheryl

Comment

Up Date

Amber's bone scan results are back. Everything is looking normal and solid. Which is good, but doesn't explain her pain.
                      The surgeon is giving her another 6 weeks to see if it will just get better on its own. If it not... it all comes out. Pretty scary to be facing that. So fingers crossed.
                      She is sick of the side effects from all the medication. We had a good talk to both our GP and the surgeon and are now weaning her off everything.
                      Best wishes to everyone.
                      Cheryl

Comment

oh my god, i just read that and im shocked!! is amber ok??? you have to let me know how it all goes cos im worried now!!
                        hope you are ok, and regards to your daughter
                        hope shes better soon!!
                        love sheena xxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Amber is now off all of the medication that she was on. Today will be the first full day of none, so I am wondering how she will cope. She is still asleep right now.
                          She does not want to have more surgery but I think she will do what the surgeon thinks is best because she trusts him. I just don't know what to think at the moment. But if her shoulder blades are rubbing on the screws and sending off fragments, then I can't really see any other option besides having the rods out. I am really worried about her missing even more school.
                          I guess whatever is meant to happen will and we will cope with whatever is thrown at us.
                          Best wishes to all.
                          Cheryl.

Comment

Dear mumof and Amber,
                            I am still checking on you to see how things are developing.
                            Bone fragments? Did they see those on xray?
                            Well you are right as my husband said about our situation, you have to play the cards you are dealt. I know this is sooo tough for ALL of you.
                            Have you gone to another Dr? I know that is way hard to do too as you have to go so far.
                            We will continue to pray and think about you, post when you can.
                            mamakay
                            Amber you are such a strong sister and role model for your siblings!
                            now 16 yr old daughter
                            with worsen 65 degree upper curve
                            surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

The surgeon that Amber is seeing here is in consultation with the one in Sydney that did her surgery.
                              So far nothing has shown up on any of the tests that she has had done.
                              Now that she is off all the meds, I am noticing a difference in her. She is more alert as expected, but she is still not sleeping well and is now becoming very stiff and she is moving awkardly. She says that there has been no change to the pain at all. Just that she is stiff now. I want her to at least take some anti-inflamitories but she says no.
                              On top of all that over the last few weeks she has devoloped a rash on one of her hands that has now started on the other hand and wrist. The doctor has done some blood tests to try to work out what it is, if it shows nothing he may have to take a sample of the skin. I'm sure that will make her happy. lol.
                              One day the problems will all be solved and I will be stressing because there is nothing to worry about. The joys of being a parent.
                              Best wishes
                              Cheryl

Comment

Working...
                              X