maryland doctors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maryland doctors?

my family is searching for a new doctor in maryland. my first one was terrible and i never want to see him again, so we have to start all over and we're so lost and overwhelmed! does anyone know of any good orthopedic doctors in maryland, USA?
    laura
    ME!
    homeschooled freshman
    i am obsessed with competitive policy debate!

MY SCOLI!!!
    diagnosed June, 2005

curves 34*T and 32*L
    wearing a Boston brace
    at least 20 hours a day
    next appt. in a month

We caught our daughter's curve too late for bracing to be effective so we don't have direct recommendations for a bracing doctor, but we can recommend surgeons that we saw who also brace.

Paul Sponseller - Johns Hopkins
    Charles Edwards II - Mercy
    Randal Betz - Shriner's Philadelphia
    Mark & Jane, Parents of Lisa
    Daughter 15 years old
    Posterior surgery was in October, 2005, with Dr. Paul Sponseller at Johns Hopkins. Fused T2-L2 w/4 rib thoracoplasty. Rib and local autograft. All pedicle screw and stainless construct.
    Before: PT – 33, MT – 63, L – 32, kyphosis – 46.
    After: PT – 7, MT – 4, L – 15, kyphosis – 32.

Comment

thanx, that was very helpful!
      laura
      ME!
      homeschooled freshman

MY SCOLI!!!
      diagnosed June, 2005

curves 34*T and 32*L
      wearing a Boston brace
      at least 20 hours a day
      next appt. in a month

Comment

Hi ~ You may want to check out Dr. Rand in the Boston area..

Comment

that's a little far for us...we live near D.C.
          laura
          ME!
          homeschooled freshman

MY SCOLI!!!
          diagnosed June, 2005

curves 34*T and 32*L
          wearing a Boston brace
          at least 20 hours a day
          next appt. in a month

Comment

orthopedic surgeons

You are so right about Dr. Betz at Shriner's. I wonder if it is difficult to get him because he is chief of staff and involved with so many projects. We live in the Phila area. Which hospital has a better reputation for scoli surgeries: Shriners, Children's Hosp of Phila, Johns Hopkins, or DuPont? Not sure if you know but wondering what your opinion is. Thanks, Melissa
            Melissa
            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

For us, it was about a two month wait to see Dr. Betz. Surgery with him would have been a six month wait. All of the hospitals that you mentioned have fine reputations from what we have read. Obviously, it is the surgeon that matters most.
              Daughter 15 years old
              Posterior surgery was in October, 2005, with Dr. Paul Sponseller at Johns Hopkins. Fused T2-L2 w/4 rib thoracoplasty. Rib and local autograft. All pedicle screw and stainless construct.

Comment

surgery

Thanks for the reply. How is Lisa doing? Can you tell me a little about recovery at home. How long until school, activiites, etc. I know each child is different. Thanks. Oh, my sister lives in Virginia, outside of D.C. Melissa
                Melissa
                From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Lisa is recovering well. Thanks for asking. We have been updating her recovery on the thread titled Two weeks postoperative in adolescent/surgery.
                  Daughter 15 years old

Comment

sponseller!!!

you''ve gotta go to Paul Sponseller...he's amazing...
                    I had surgery January 2006, and by the end of March, he said i could play in my basketball teams championship game. He did soo well with everything. He's an amazing person. You email him at 5 oclock in the morning and you'll get a response immediatly. He does so much and he's a great family man. He has two children he adpoted from Russia. He is just such an amazing man, and a sweetie! He is hard to get an appointment with...everyone loves him! But when we told him my case, we were down 3 days later...you have to see him! He will help you!!

Good luck,
                    scoliXsurvivor5

Comment

Working...
                    X