Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to ask a Chiro? Surgeon?

Hi everyone,

I realize this is all VERY case specific answers (at least they should be) but broad guidelines of some sort would be interesting to know.

What are questions to ask a chiropractor on first visit?

and what to be concerned about regarding answers you get (red flags).

One chiro didn't have records available, as they where in another Country and she's been here for 7 years and nothing to show me (spooky)

I AM NOT anti-chiro (in fact - one "saved" me with a back injury and I have been great since - over 20 years ago). However, as I understand it we are dealing with apples and oranges here!

I'm not comfortable with this idea at this point (at 54-T & 49-L), learning some stuff from here and elsewhere - but ex is!

* Any Chiro's out there willing to give me an idea of "when" (or if) you come
    to the conclusion that chiro care is just not doing it? Or patient's that had
    chiro's tell them they are drawing the line?
    * or How long should we expect to go to chiro visits before we should (or
    not) see a difference?
    * Is it normal to ask for passed case "proof"? or to ask to speak with prior
    clients?
    * Any one know of an "honest" chiro in Marin, CA (just had one look at her
    back for just a moment last week while standing (without me present) and
    said "he can work with her"
    * What are the risks?
    * How often are you expected to go?

I "do not" mean to insult anyone by the wording used here - I'm just trying to understand this - and not getting straight answers from the "Experts in thier Field people"

Also from Docter's - we have had a few visits (last one a disaster, need to re-do that one!!!!!!!!)

Does any one have a "guideline" of when to or not perform surgery - pain level, degree level - any degree over 40+? etc, etc, ........

This is very overwhelming - Any other answer etc, along these lines woul be appreciated.

Thank you for your time and info. - Kelly B

Regardless of what anyone tells you, chiropractors cannot reduce the degrees of your curves. They may, however, be able to help with your pain. Whatever you do, don't get sucked into a plan that has you paying for anything up front. If you don't see any improvement in the level of your pain after 2-3 visits, you should probably walk away.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I agree with what Linda has said and will add that even if some improvement happens, that if at some point the pain is not helped anymore OR increases- to stop going. That is what happened to me, and a few other people that had other back problems. I have seen two chiros in my life pre surgery and they both insisted that I didn't need surgery and that they COULD either reduce my curve or stop it from progressing- not true.

As far as the surgery goes, I think you need to have at least a 45 degree curve and personally I would not have it unless the pain is affecting your life, and at least try other pain relieving options, such as PT, exercises, and various ortho's opinions.
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
      X