Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boston brace

B]hello![/B]

my name is Liat and I am 16.5 years old.
    I have scoliosis
    I began to wear a boston brace a year ago, and I am still wearing it
    :-(
    I had 30 degrees... and now I have 15 degrees in the boston
    I will be happy to talk with teenagers who have or had boston too.

liat

Hi there!

Hi there Liat!

I have had scoliosis since my Freshman year in high school. I'm currently a Freshman in college now.

I had to wear my back brace for 5 years...or until my growth pretty much stopped altogether. It's not that bad, I promise...it definitely gets better and easier as time goes on.

Trust me. Plus, the hours you have to wear your brace get reduced. Or at least they should if you have an absolutely amazing doctor. But no, they definitely will be reduced, so no worries.

But yeah, you'll have your brace for a while and it just sort of...becomes part of you and who you are and you'll soon think, "Wow, I need my brace." I know I know it sounds crazy, but I'm serious.
    I know when my hours were reduced i thought "YES!" but then sometimes my back started to hurt or I felt this urge to put my brace on...so I did and my back felt better...I mean I did it this weekend. It's second nature to know when you need your brace after a while...a long while, but you and your back will be like "Hi brace, you're amazing!" lol...sounds weird and strange I know I'm sorry, but I'm being honest.

~Regina~
    PS - If you want to talk about anything let me know!

Comment

Hi!

HI!
      I was so happy to read what u wrote to me!
      I will be happy to talk with you , do u have a e-mail?

liat.

Comment

hello

Hello,
        I worn a boston brace for 3 years. I started in 6th grade and on my birthday of 8th grade the doctor said i dindny have to wear it any more. He told me to come back in 6 months to check on it. When i went back , he told me i was disgarged from the office. I hope this will be an inspiration to all who wear a brace.

Comment

three years?!

oh! 3 years! it's a long time!
          I wear it nearly 2 years... and I hate it...

do you have any pain now?
          I wonder when I won't wear any more my boston will I still stand straight??

liat.

Comment

My story.

Hello!

My name's Rachel and I'm currently 15. I got a brace this past January when I was still a freshman in highschool. Now a sophmore, I still have the brace.

I want to talk more with people who understand me. My doctor tells me to "always wear the brace...23/24 hours of the day". He says that with the Boston brace, I can live a normal life just like before. To me that is not true at all.

My brace gets in the way of EVERYTHING!! I can't bend over to get something or tie my shoe, I can't wear a regular T-shirt without the back of the brace poking out, I get extremely uncomfortable in it. My stomach-area gets really hot and sweaty. I would complain every day when I had to wear it to school...so my mom finally gave in to the compaints..

So now I only wear the brace at night and I can still barely stand it. I have a 28-30 degree curvature and my mom and I went to the doctor again and asked about surgery. He said many reasons that wouldn't let me get it..1)I was too young 2)My curvature wasn't extreme enough 3)My curvature has a curve on the bottom and top so I wouldn't be able to move easily 4) There's too many dangers......I mean after he said all that I was thinking he just doesn't like me so he wants me to suffer!!

I have cried many many times over and over about having scoliosis ...I mean I've researched the rarity(sp?) of it and it's like 1/2 out of 100. I now just want someone to talk to rather than my parents,friends, and doctor about it...they seem to not understand why it's sooo hard for me to wear it or even live!! Why me?! Noone in my family has it..so why??

I also want to say why my self-esteem has gone way down..When I first recieved my brace...during the first week or so --my boyfriend (who knew I got a brace)of a year suddenly broke up with me for no "real" reason but that we needed space....
            and my friend (who's now just an aqquaintance really) would always say "do the hunchback thing" and want me to bend over and walk around oddly...Yeah it was funny but after her asking me to do that in front of her other friends was really embarassing..

I would just like someone to talk to ..to boost my self-esteem up.

Comment

Hi!!
              oh! Rachel!!
              when I read your message! I felt exactly like you!
              I understand you so much!!!

I too hate my boston brace, but I have not have another solution to my scoliosis...

you right, people without scoliosis don't understand why it's so hard for us wear it...
              but always when you sad remember that there are lots of people and teenagers who have scoliosis!
              and believe me... your doctor right- if you don't need surgery- won't do it!
              you will wear the boston ant after that your life return to be regular....

I will be happy to talk with you.

liat.

Comment

Wow!
                After reading your replies, its like im going through the same thing!
                I hate my brace. My family tell me to accept it and not fight it, but i cant ..... they dont understand.

Mine gapes out at the back too. Thats the worst part.
                Ive had it for 2 months and i dont think i can take a day more of it!!!!!

And do you lot constantly ave to keep leaning back, even whan standing up, so it doesnt stick out!?

My confidence has gone to an all low point now. I cry day and night. I refuse to speak to my aunts and uncles about it - i know they care, but that makes it worse in a way if you get me?

My friend had the operation ......
                She has a lovely figure now but the scars are horrible =[
                Thats why i dont know what to do .... brace or surgery!
                Doctor says no to surgery but i would prefer it to the brace!

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Hello everyone! My name is Val aka sparklegirl59
                  I have scoliosis. I have a 31 degree curve. I have had my brace for nearly 2 weeks now. It has been scary and hard to adjust to. I am 11 years old and in 6th grade. I will sleep in my boston brace for the 1st time 2nite. It's good to know that I am not the only one going through this. I just keep on praying about it. I would like to talk to others going through the same thing I am. If u would like to E-mail me sometime my E-mail address is sparklegirl59@yahoo.com
                  Hope to talk to ya SOON!
                  Val
                  Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
                  I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
                  My curves were 30 and 31
                  I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
                  I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
                  I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
                  I want to meet some new people on this forum!
                  Don't be shy...
                  Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

HI im danielle, ive been wearing the boston for a omnth only...i am 13 in 8th grade, i have one curve of 30 and one of 27, and it feels straighter (my back) and i can tighten my brace much more and it feels the same. I go back on the 23rd for my first xray, i am nervous yet excited....did urs go down on ur first appt??? plus, is it a good sign that i can tighten it much more with the same feeling???
                    Danielle
                    14 Freshwoman
                    December 1st got no head the boston brace
                    Pre Brace Curves:18C 25T 30L
                    In brace curves: (1/23/08) 16C 20T 22L
                    In brace Curves: (5/21/08) 19C 19T 15L
                    We're Bringing CURVY BACK

Comment

Working...
                    X