No announcement yet.

Please Look Into Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I apologize for offending you--that was never my intention...
    This is a thread I started and have a right to state my opinion, but ever since I wrote it, I have been put down and made to defend myself about everything I've said. If something indirectly offends you, maybe you should just keep it to your self, then everyone would be a whole lot happier, because it really sucks being told that I'm, basically, stupid. SO, all the good I was trying to do, getting people to realize that some don't have to have surgery to get better, went down the drain. If anyone else has a nasty comment to make to me, I would really appreciate it, if you just kept it to yourself. Everyone keeps saying that this forum is for supporting each other, why do I keep getting put down? I never said anyone was stupid for having surgery...and I never thought I was stupid for doing something other than getting cut open to fix my back, but apparently I am.
    Sarah Ann

Comment

I for one am not calling you stupid I guess I (like others on here) are wondering why you seem SO negative towards spinal fusion! Also, I NEVER said for anyone who has a case of scoliosis, to go get it fixed w/surgery. I believe if you have curves that exceed 50 degrees (especially your's being 90!) should consider the surgery. If you are personally not planning to get the surgery done anytime soon, what are your plans for the horrible curves in your back? I would not want to see you have to get any more respiratory problems, or see you get crippled in just a matter of years, because I'm sure you know that is what eventually will probably happen. I just hope you eventually will find in yourself to put a little more faith in orthopaedic surgeons and spinal fusion surgeries. Obviously you of course know (as I said earlier) you can get paralyzed from a lot of different things, or die under anesthesia, but you just seem really against this surgery. Do you personally know someone close to you that's had it done and it went unsuccessful or something? I just hope you find some kind of treatment that works for you because your curves are worse than mine were when I had the surgery back in November, and I wouldn't want to see them worsen and cause physical problems for you. We'll respect your opinions if you respect our's (and I'm not saying you aren't) but why don't you try and give us a chance to explain the benefits of spinal fusion, I truly think it would be for your good! JMHO
      "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
      "Talent takes you to the top. Character keeps you there."

Comment

wow man even me who is trying to keep surgery out of the the picture would do it if my curve was that freakin bad. i think surgery would be the best choice if your curve is that bad

Comment

Sorry about the "attack" I made. Sometimes words written on the internet can seem harsher than they were meant to be.

I'm sorry that you feel put down by members of this board. I think its fantastic that you are trying to avoid surgery, just don't take it to far, you know? Good luck in the future.
          Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
          L2 to T4
          Braced for 4 years
          Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Thank you for the positive words, but I never said my curve is 90 degrees...what I said was, something to the fact, I've never let myself find out the actually degrees, because if it was 90 degrees, or somewhere around there, I would probably not think I could not do anything about it myself. "It's a mind over matter thing for me." There is no way my back is that bad, it was just an example. Most people don't know I have scoliosis until I lift up the back of my shirt. But thank you for your concern. My scoliosis progressed really fast, when I was about 14, and my main problem is the rib humps, which no one except me really sees, and a build up of a lot of scar tissue, which I've read if you get removed it normally just comes back as possibly more than you had before, so I still don't see all that down time (recovery time) from surgery as an option for me, I'm doing okay the way I'm going, and I'm dealing with what I have. I just know a lot of people feel the way I do, that the recovery time could be better spent, so I wanted people to know there are other options.
            Sarah Ann

Comment

Wow...quite the thread..hehe

Hmmm....interesting. I am a "product" of spinal fusion *gasp* AND received my BA in Photography. I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 5 during my kindergarten physical. I was braced from agest 6-13.....so surgery was definately NOT a first option for me.....it's not usually ANYONE'S "first option." I mean, who WANTS to get sliced open and lay on a table totally out of it for 8-12 hours while people probe your open back? It in no way is a "quick fix" but at the same time just b/c a person doesn't want to "waste" time recovering, that's no reason not to get it if it IS needed. In my case, at age 13, during one of my routine check-ups along with x-rays, I was told my curve had worsened (thank you puberty and growth spurt) and that surgery was needed as soon as possible so the twisting of my spine would not affect my heart/lungs. I had not been in ANY pain up until this point. I had ALWAYS been an extremely active child (volleyball, basketball, and softball all through later elementary and junior high). I was told in June I needed the surgery, had it in August. Returned to school and could not do P.E. for a whole year...which was hard for me b/c like I said, I'd always been so active. So that was my 8th grade year. Yes, I could have been paralyzed during the surgery. But every time I get in my car to go somewhere, there is the CHANCE that someone could hit me and I could be in a severe car accident and become paralyzed too. For me, my RISK outweighed my "not wanting" to get surgery, so I needed it and I don't regret it. Once I entered my freshman year of high school, I tried out for basketball, and made the team. I played that my frosh and soph year. I ran track all four years of high school. Did cross country my senior year and the beckoning of my coach. I was the girls' teams' captain for both teams. I later on discovered from another x-ray that my lower crossbar in my back broke. I think this was due to the "charges" I took while on the basketball court. I NEVER let scoliosis keep me from doing things. Of course I had to be WISE and be cautious at the same time. Now, I am 26 years old. I have my degree in Photography and have worked a few years in that field since I graduated. I have since returned to school to pursue a career as an LVN and then onto an RN. I feel it is a calling of mine. I try my hardest to find my purpose in life and I love helping others. Why do I have scoliosis? Now that I have it, what can I do to raise the awareness or relate/help others who have it as well or those who might be going into surgery or are recovering from it? I'd like to work in the orthopedics field as a nurse.....possibly pediatrics. I feel I can empathize with those who have been through what I have.....or are considering it. And definitely let them know surgery is not ALWAYS the only option, but at times it CAN be simply b/c the person's health might be at a greater risk without it. It's not something to be taken lightly and for me, and I'm sure others, it's not a mind over matter thing....it's a real physical threat to our safety, health, well being, and even life. I have researched it a lot too, and even being in this nursing program learning about anatomy and diseases/abnormal conditions and their causes (idiopathic, genetic, congenital, etc.) has really helped educate me even further. Sorry for the "rant" and "life story" but I felt the need to share. Even if we don't agree, it doesn't mean I'm "against" you. We can share our opinions, yes, and still be respectful.

What type of subjects do you enjoy photographing?

Comment

Working...
              X