No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We had a providence night brace, boston brace, tried asco, chiropractor treatments, medical gymnastick and deep massage in Europe. He was diagnosed when he was 7 with a 20 degree curve and despite all these treatments his cuve progressed to 31 degrees. My son is tired of going to the doctors. Now we are doing pneumex in combination wth spinecor

Great to hear about these results, must give you some hope.

I thought pneumex was another bracing system. are you using two braces currently?????

What was the medical gymnnastic in Europe like? Was this Schroth? Where did you go?

gerbo

Comment

• Originally posted by Kalarasy
      ... we have some problems with strap number 1 that gets disconnected sometimes even if he sneezes. I called in Montreal and they told me to go to a shoe maker with it. Now I am thinking that we've paid so much on it and I am worried that a shoe maker wouldn't be fit to work with it. Any suggestions will be greately appreaciated.
      Having an extra set of straps really helps in times like this. The metal snap can wear out over time or be defective as in your case. There are two things you can do: a) phone Montreal and order another #1 strap - make sure it's the same length i.e., 50 cm or whatever, b) go to a shoe repair store and they will replace the snap for a nominal fee like $2.00. It takes them about 3 minutes to replace it.

Oh, and congrats on the correction!!!!

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Adriana,
        I looked back at your posts to see what I missed. I saw that an MRI on your son revealed a syrinx. Does he have a chiari formation that is causing his syrinx or a tethered chord? Does a syrinx have to be caused by another underlying condition? What did Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard say about the syrinx? I am a bit confused because I think I thought that the curve could not really be improved until the syrinx was addressed. Obviously you had great initial success with the Spinecor in spite of the syrinx.
        God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• I'm freezing! It got down to 19 degrees last night. I usually keep the heat at 60 degrees. It's at 75 now. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
          lol
          God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• modifications to the spinecor

i wanted to add that my son lucas who is now 5 yrs old was the smallest child to get fitted by drs. rivard and coillard for a spinecor. my husband and i have modified the pelvic base since he is so very little around the waist. the velcro straps just would not hold together. we sewed on strap material on both sides and a clasp to those horizontal straps on the pelvic brace. i will have to take a picture and post it.

deshea
            mom to lucas 6 1/2 yrs old with infantile scoliosis diagnosed at 18 mos 68o/45o;
            spinal detethering due to a tight/fatty filum at 22 mos;
            tlso and charleston brace from 18 mos to 2 1/2 yrs old at children's boston, ma;
            serial plaster casting from 2 1/2 until 4 1/2 at shriners in erie, pa;
            now in a spinecor brace at 21o/19o from montreal. next appt. sept 2008
            and ruby (3 1/2 yrs old and a handful!)
            north of boston, ma

Comment

• I'm not sure, but I think height is the determining factor. Deshea, wasn't Lucas about 41 inches tall when he went into the brace?

I hope Ann doesn't mind me saying this .... but her daughter is the little girl in last year's SRS presentation wearing the spinecor brace doing ballet and the headstand.

Canadian eh
              Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Now we are doing pneumex in combination wth spinecor.
                Adriana
                I still do not quite get it: what is pneumex?

I am a mother of a 7 year old with 30*/18* (compensatory) curves. We have tried boston night time brace, deep tissue massage in Europe, some exercises and swimming, of course. The night brace was a fiasco, so I am trying to make an appt in Montreal for a spinecor fitting. I am trying to find out as much as possible about this program, but most of the info seems to relate mostly to the brace. However, it looks like that some kind of physical therapy seems to be involved as well. Can anyone share their experiences in this respect?
                Katya

Comment

• When we got our Spinecor through a chiro. in N.Y., exercises were involved and chiro treatments were encouraged. The doctors in Montreal told us to just wear the brace and continue to be active. But no exercises are necessary for her.

Melissa
                  Melissa
                  From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                  Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• gerbo

Pneumex is a program for scoliosis that helps strenghtening the back muscles. My son has to walk on a treadmil almost suspended to learn to walk straight and after that he is sitting in a chair and he is pulled up by the vest and is doing different back exercises. Also he is doing vibration and chiropractor adjustments. He goes there 3 times a week. And the chiropractor suggested that will be better if he will be in spinecor brace and doing the pneumex program in the same time.
                    We went to Romania durring the summer and my son did medical gymnastick about 3 times a week to help straighten his back muscles, he was doing exercises on the floor, in the front of the mirror, on bars and stall bars. There almost every hospital has a recuperation section and they reccomend these exercises for scoliosis. I couldn't find anytrhing like that here.
                    Adriana, mom to Luke and Mark
                    Luke is 10 years old in spinecor since november 2006 and his curve is 6 degrees in brace from 31

Comment

• chrylplinder and celia

The syrinx is really small, we went to the neurosurgeon and we need to follow up on it. I forgot to tell dr Rivard about it, but I will remember next time. He does not have a chiari or tethered cord, so I don't know. I am peaying that will stay the same size.

Celia, Thank you for your suggestions, I went to a shoe repair store, it cost 10$ to replce it and it takes 2 days. I am so worried that my son will have to be out of brace for 2 days because the shoe repair guy coldn't do it sooner. How much does it cost to order new straps? You just call and they will send them to you?
                      Thank you very much
                      Adriana
                      Adriana, mom to Luke and Mark
                      Luke is 10 years old in spinecor since november 2006 and his curve is 6 degrees in brace from 31

Comment

• Adriana,
                        Did you go to Romania for the sole purpose of this program or was it also a visit. How long were you there for?

When Nicole went to the chiro for a few months, we didn't let him do adjustments on her because she is still growing and my husband was very uncomfortable with that. We only let him give her electric stim and gentle massage. It was more like physical therapy then chiro treatment.

Melissa
                        Melissa
                        From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                        Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Thank you for your suggestions, I went to a shoe repair store, it cost 10$ to replce it and it takes 2 days. I am so worried that my son will have to be out of brace for 2 days because the shoe repair guy coldn't do it sooner. How much does it cost to order new straps? You just call and they will send them to you?
                          Adriana,

Is there only one shoe repair store near you ??? I can't understand why it would take 2 days That's ridiculous!!! Do you live in a small town ? When I phoned Montreal for extra pieces they sent it to me via FEDEX and I got it the next day.

What do y'all think of my new signature ???

Canadian eh

Comment

We went to Romania durring the summer and my son did medical gymnastick about 3 times a week to help straighten his back muscles, he was doing exercises on the floor, in the front of the mirror, on bars and stall bars. There almost every hospital has a recuperation section and they reccomend these exercises for scoliosis. I couldn't find anytrhing like that here.
                            In Russia they also strongly believe in this kind of therapeutical exercises and always prescribe them together with brace therapy, but my doctor here said that in the US the "official medicine" (I assume as opposed to chiropractice ?) consideres any kind of specialized exercises useless and does not offer anything of this kind. (I must say, however, that he did say that it is better for a scoliotic to be physically fit rather than unfit, but I did not understand how one can get fit wearing a hard brace)

I try to teach my daughter some exercises that I remember from the school for kids with scoliosis that I attended there when I was a kid. These exercises remind me of some Pilates exercises: they also have to be done slowly and carefully rather than fast.

But I do not remember any exercises on bars... Are they on balance?

This summer we are planning to go to Russia to visit the scoliosis center there and possibly undergo some procedures like electro-stimulation, deep tissue massage and some other that I do not see offered here (but maybe I just don't know where to look).

Katya

Comment

• Adriana,
                              Yes, do remember to tell Dr. Rivard about it. It can be the cause of scoliosis. I learned a little about this from the website www.asap.org. I didn't really understand the ins and outs of this.
                              Can you educate me?

Mom37 cited that website. Her daughter just had surgery on Monday for a chiari formation. They didn't put a drain in her syrinx. They hope it will drain now that the spinal fluid can flow freely. She wears the Spinecor, also. The surgery went well, and she is in ICU..
                              Cheryl
                              Last edited by cherylplinder; 12-06-2006, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• Celia,
                                I love your signature!

Comment

Working...
                                X