spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melissa,

I know they sell moleskin in pharmacies, also check local hospitals. The moleskin is working really well for us and the chafing has almost completely disappeared *yahoo* Have a GREAT Thanksgiving !!! We Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving in October. Congrats on your son's acceptance to Penn State

Cyprusmom,

We haven't had problems with the snaps but Dr. Coillard told me before we left that if we encountered any problems that a local shoemaker could probably fix it, if not then to call them and they would FedEx the required piece.

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• moleskin

Celia,
      Thanks for the info about the moleskin. We had a great Thanksgiving including taking the train to N.Y. to see a Broadway show. Ever been to N.Y.? My girls and I went to Canada when they were part of a children's chorus a few years back. We had an amazing time. Melissa
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Melissa,

New York sounds wonderful ! But alas, I've never been there. The only States I've been to are Texas, Tennessee, California and Washington State.

The moleskin is working really well for us, I highly recommend it ! Next week is our followup visit, so I'm getting a little nervous. I'm thinking of purchasing an extra pelvic base with straps etc, so that we could have an extra clean set when needed. Do any of you know how much something like that would cost ?

Take care everyone, and think postive !!!

celia

Canadian eh
        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• so is this literally a skin of a mole (i.e. this animal tunneling through the earth)?? And do you just put it nbetwen strap and leg? Just trying to visualize this.

If you are getting a little nervous, I am getting very nervous, as we have our first assesment in 2 1/2 weeks, and for that matter from 2 weeks onwards she will be bracefree for a whole three days prior to appointment. All the things she is going to do, all the clothes she is going to wear....

I am thinking positive though!!
          Last edited by gerbo; 10-27-2013, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• Gerbo,

Your post made me laugh out loud I hope this picture comes through, this is what moleskin looks like:

http://www.myfootshop.com/images/pro...2_moleskin.jpg

I think they generally use moleskin to treat foot conditions Anyhoo....what I do is I wrap the lower edges of the plastic pelvic base with the moleskin so it doesn't cut into her thighs. We didn't have a problem with the pelvic base when she was standing, only when she sat down. No problems to report with the thigh bands or the crotch straps. We were instructed that the thigh bands could be adjusted to comfort level and didn't have to be fastened tightly around the legs. I think the important thing is the way the thigh bands and crotch straps are attached to the pelvic base and I haven't touched that at all - even for washing. I wash the whole unit by hand and hang to dry by our radiators- of course it's not the same as hanging it out to dry in the full sun by the Mediterranean sea

Canadian eh

Comment

• Originally posted by Celia Vogel
              Gerbo,

Your post made me laugh out loud )

okokokokokokok, cannot be clever all the time, thanks for the illustration

Comment

• moleskin

Thanks for the info regarding the moleskin. Nicole hasn't been complaining. But if she starts to, I will definitely get some. Our Dr. told us that in some countries the patient gets 2 braces so that when one is being washed the other can be worn. I agree with you that I am not touching the straps even though our Dr. showed us how. My husband replaced them once with new ones they gave us and it took him forever!!! LOL! I also hand wash the whole thing. I also wipe down all the straps daily with wipes to freshen them up. That is funny that you have been to many states that I have not been to. I would love to go to Texas, Tennessee and Washington State. Anyway, I wish all of you the best of luck at your appts. We are one month away from ours. I look at her back and it does not look any better. I know that you can't tell by looking, but I am preparing for anything. Melissa
                Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Melissa,

I really hope it's good news for you in December ! By things not looking any better, do you mean the rib hump ? I don't know how it works for adolescent children, but for young children who grow out of their scoliosis - the rib hump/gibbosity doesn't correct until a few years later, long after the spine has resolved.

Canadian eh

Comment

• wow, that's interesting, I never knew that; thanks Celia!
                    pat

Comment

• rib hump

Celia,
                      That is amazing. I have never heard that. I'm not sure if Nicole has a rib hump because I don't know what that exactly means. When I look at her back, her one shoulder blade sticks out. The other one does not. When she bends over, one side is higher than the other. Is this what you mean?
                      Melissa
                      Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by Celia Vogel
                        Melissa,

the rib hump/gibbosity doesn't correct until a few years later, long after the spine has resolved.
                        that doesn't make sense to me at all, isn't the ribhump a reflection of the rotation of the spine and therefore directly connected to the curvature, hence if the spine is straight/ derotated, >> the hump should be gone??

explain please

Comment

• What ???! You want a technical explanation ??! Do I look like a doctor to you ? LOL !! Gerbo, it's just what I've read re: young children. I don't know if the same would apply to adolescents, it might.

The rib hump is a reflection of the rotated vertebrae, however, for some reason it doesn't correct at the same time as the vertebrae. It takes time for the ribs to shift back..... I don't know the technical reason for this. Sorry. Can someone ask their doctor about this ???
                          Last edited by Celia; 11-30-2005, 03:53 PM.

Canadian eh

Comment

• Celia,
                            Have you asked for a smaller pelvic base? My daughter was having the same problem and the doc put her in a smaller pelvic base. It made a huge difference.
                            Diagnosed @ age 14 (now 15)

i HAVE A LOVELY SPINECOR BRACE

CUrVES* 14&&17 as of 4.22.06 (out of brace)

ATLANTA, GEORGiA

Comment

• Melissa,

Did your daughter have xrays after 1 month? We are going back on Saturday and it has only been 5 weeks. Did the doc tell you to leave the brace off before going in for xrays? Also did you have to pay for the replacement straps? I don't see how this brace is going to last 2 years.

Lori
                              Diagnosed @ age 14 (now 15)

i HAVE A LOVELY SPINECOR BRACE

CUrVES* 14&&17 as of 4.22.06 (out of brace)

ATLANTA, GEORGiA

Comment

• Lori,
                                We went back after one month but that is mostly to make sure we are wearing the brace correctly. He did take one x-ray in the brace only. He gave us some crotch straps that he had in his office. They were actually samples so there was no charge. I know what you mean about the brace. It is already looking pretty worn out. Are you going to New York?
                                Good luck, Melissa
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X