No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once you've got something on your mind and you are worried about it, it is difficult not to be paranoid.

However, I do think you might be able to relax a bit about things. You might have a low degree of scoliosis, but if it is not obvious to the outside world, it is likely to be of a lesser degree. Age 14, you are likely to be past your major growth spurts, so the risk of progression should get less.

Still, if it is on your mind you should be entitled to get some reassurance by a qualified person. Have you got something like a family doctor you could see? Plan B, i.e waiting to see the doctor when you return to college isn't too bad neither, but that could mean just getting more and more worried (and paranoid) over the next few months.

Best action I think is to ask your parents to get you a family doctor appointment, just to get it checked and "out of the way"

Best wishes

gerbo

Comment

• Hey Allegra!
      Hugs to you!

Are both your shoulders even when you look in the mirror from the front?
      If one shoulder is higher than another, that is an indication of a thoracic(like between your ribs) curve.

Are your hips at the same level? Are both legs the same length?
      If your hips are not at the same level,i.e. even, or if one leg is longer than the other, that may indicate a lumbar(lower back) curve.

You could also get your mom to look for a rotation when you bend over. That is called the Adams forward bend test. A true scoliosis will show a rotation on this bend test.
      There are probably pics posted on the forum of people doing this test. Do a search-for an idea of what scoliosis would look like in this test. I know that there are pics posted on scoliosis-support.org. Look under member galleries.

I couldn't tell if you might be describing a kyphosis(when you said your back curves more than normal) which is when it looks like you are slumping.
      Kyphosis is not scoliosis, but is of concern and is also treatable with a brace.

If you have to wait until your physical for a doctor to check you, maybe these simple tests will give you some peace of mind. The Adams forward bend test is what they use to screen for scoliosis. I would be sure and have the doctor check you when you have your physical. It should be part of the physical, but you may have to ask for the doc to check you for this.

Hope this info helps! Best of luck and warmest wishes!

Cheryl
      God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Originally posted by pat
        Hello, we had our 9 month check-up; everyone's pleased, her #'s and rotation are holding with her brace. Did some readjustments (she grew some), and got new straps. Unfortunately, my husband (Dad!) took her, and didn't come home with any paperwork, so I've got to call and get the #'s myself! pat
        Congrats Pat!
        God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Thanks Cheryl, it's such a relief, . . . till the next one! pat

Comment

• pat, is still close to zero degrees?

Comment

• Thanks for replying, Cheryl and Gerbo.
              Cheryl: My shoulders look even to me, but they are a bit slanted-of course that could be normal.
              I'm pretty sure both my legs are the same length, although my left is more flexible. My hips are what I'm worried about. They are shaped differently, rather one is regular, where my hip just naturally slants up to my stomach ( a small curve). The other hip......it's kind of round, and then slants up to my stomach. I think I might be rotated but I can't figure out which side it is! At first I thought i was to the right, but my shirt seams on the sides are more to the left-geeez this is so confusing!but...hugs back <3

Gerbo: I just turned 14 in May, and I'm pretty short. My back is flexible, and I still have some more growing to do. I'm taking tumbling this summer, and the coach told me I have a very flexible back. That's why I'm hoping it isn't serious, and would be easy to fix. (it probably isn't serious) and uh gerbo? I'm going into high school, not college, although I'm in all-advanced classes! But I don't want my summer to turn into paranoia central!

*Maybe I'm missing something here. I neglected to tell you that my father has polio. It partly paralyzed him when he was very young. He was living in Lebanon at the time, and came to Pennsylvania for surgery. They put a metal rod in his back to keep it straight, which is still there, after 40 years. He just turned 50, and is doing fine. He's a great lawyer and lives a perfectly normal life, whether driving his saab in sport mode, or riding in is awesome titanium wheelchair. I think I first gt the idea that I had scoliosis from him, because of his back. ???

Thanks for reading through this really long message that I wouldn't read if I saw!

<3
              Allegra

HI
              Im 15
              im pretty outgoing
              JV Cheerleader-woot woot :]

my curves are:
              in the 30s.
              somewhere in or around there.

i have a spinecor brace.

Comment

• kyphosis

oh and I don't think it's kyphosis, because I don't slump like....not to be mean, but an older person might. It would be the opposite.

HI
                Im 15
                im pretty outgoing

my curves are:
                in the 30s.

i have a spinecor brace.

Comment

• Allegra,

Have you ever thought maybe your problem is with your hips and not your back? Just a thought. Also, may I ask how tall you are and how much you weigh. I know several young teenagers who don't have Scoliosis whose shoulder blades stick out because they are very thin.

Mary Lou
                  Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

• hhmmmmmm...Mary Lou, I never thought of that.
                    I'm about 4"11, maybe 5 feet, and I'm 90 lbs.

HI
                    Im 15
                    im pretty outgoing

my curves are:
                    in the 30s.

i have a spinecor brace.

Comment

• I don't know if this helps, but in the case of pear or apple body shapes, I'm pretty sure I'm an apple!

HI
                      Im 15
                      im pretty outgoing

my curves are:
                      in the 30s.

i have a spinecor brace.

Comment

• lisanna is getting worried that her right breast might stay behind in development, as a tight strap presses it down, whilst the "free" left breast will grow unrestricted?

Any thoughts on this? I cannot work out whether this is likely to be an issue.

gerbo

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
                          pat, is still close to zero degrees?
                          Hi Gerbo, yes, she's still holding at a "1" in brace, and she grew an inch since last appointment, so that's encouraging. I read your most recent post, that's something I never thought of yet, my daughter's not there yet . . . . thanks for raising the question, anxious to see some replies. pat

Comment

• Hi Pat, that is really fantastic!! Catching it early seems to be working there!

Lisanna seems to be stuck at about 18 degree in brace, as such not bad, but I still want to try to get more out of it. We have started seeing a physio with the specific purpose of loosening the vertebrae more on the concave side. Don't know whether it will work, but something is stopping the spine moving beyond the 18 degree, hopefully some ligament stretching will be of benefit.

One can only try....

Gerbo

Comment

• Hello, I've just joined after reading the thread. I have a 12 year old daughter with a 21 degree curve diagnosed one month ago. We live in the UK, and our orthopaedic surgeon does not recommend bracing at all. I was very interested to read Gerbo's experiences with his daughter - do you actually live in Sheffield Gerbo? If you are from out of area how did you get referred to the NHS hospital there? As far as I can see there aren't many places in the UK where the spinecor bace is available on the NHS - is going private the only option if you aren't lucky enough to live near an NHS hospital which uses the spinecor brace?

Comment

• welcome here and so sorry to hear you've found yourselves in this situation.

questions; where was your daughter seen? which consultant. What level is the curve? Has she started her periods yet, is there still a lot of growth expected?

perceived wisdom is, that 21 degree is below treatment level, but any significant worsening over the next three months (5 degree extra) would mean bracing. Some would advocate to wait for that next review (is that planned?) others on this forum would say; go ahead and treat. Hard decision I have to say as a fair proportion of curves of 21 degree will not get worse (i am sure somebody will be able to quote percentage chance of this happening)

we actually live in the midlands, were initially seen in birmingham, but as we were not happy asked for a second opinion in sheffield (knowing they used spinecor, and mr mills, the orthotist who owns the spinecor firms works there)

your GP these days can refer you to any hospital anywhere in the country, a benefit of labour's emphasis on "choice", so you do not need to go private. We did that initially though, just to get things sorted a bit quicker.

hope this helps

ask more if you want

best wishes

gerbo

Comment

Working...
                                X