No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• as if a gerbo could replace a mother, no way, preferred the line where the dad was clearing the path, fighting the wild animals and generally being very masculine and tough but ofcourse with a very soft core and kind heart and still in touch with his feminine side........[/QUOTE]

I like that. That's very good! I think it describes you to a tee!

Celia,
    I'm glad you were a bit lost on the polar bear joke or I would feel a bit stupid.

Gerbo,
    Your sense of humor is quite dry, my favorite kind! I get you almost all the time!
    There were days when I was still a lurker (and days now) that your banter has given me a much needed laugh!

Both of you,

Wouldn't it be fun to have a party! I'll bet we would have a ball!
    Would be hard to find the central location, though! Where are you ,Gerbo?

Happy Mother's Day, All!

Cheryl
    God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Hi Cheryl,

We all have more than scoli in common. I have no idea what that polar bear joke meant. Also, where is the poem you all are talking about. We could definitely meet. Maybe in Montreal. Gerbo, I know you are in England. Are you up for a party at St. Justine's?

Is Mother's Day celebrated in Canada and England?

Melissa
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Melissa,
        The poem is on page 14, post 559.
        Watch out! It's a great poem, but you're going to bawl!
        Wherever we end up on this path, whether surgery, or successfully braced, we ought to meet sometime. That would be more than sweet. I'm quite attached to you all. Pola, Ailea, all you other Spinecor moms and dads, we should try sometime. I never miss family reunions!
        Happy Mother's Day to all!
        Cheryl
        God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• I have no idea what that polar bear joke meant
          it didn't mean anything, it was just a joke (obviously not a very good one). You see, this little polar bear was walking on the ice and noticed he had cold feet. Realising that he was not supposed to have cold feet (after all, he was a polar bear) he was checking out whether he was a proper polar bear, or whether somewhere in the past there had been some genetic exchanges with non-polar bears, to explain these unusual feelings.......Nothing more to it.....

I didn't know if it had something to do with my statement about being "cool as a cucumber" and wasn't sure how "cold feet" tied into it
          the cool theme did set me off a bit...., but no other connection

She has infantile scoliosis, one of the most aggressive forms of scoliosis there is. She HAS to be monitored/treated until she's finished growing.
          Calrify this for me please; i thought that a good percentage of children with infantile scoliosis improve (some even without treatment)and go back to normal, following this recovery are they still meant to be at high risk, or is their risk the same as anybody else with a straight spine??

Is Mother's Day celebrated in Canada and England?
          In the UK we celebrate "mothering sunday" which falls on the sunday before easter, whilst in Holland (where i come from) we do adhere to the more international "mothersday" on the second sunday in May

Comment

• Okay,
            I re-read the polar bear story and I still don't get it. I must move on.

We will be in Montreal from July 19-20, if anyone wants to meet us there. Not sure when I will be in England again. Have been there a few times in my life.

Anyone planning a trip to the States?

Melissa
            Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• [FONT=Arial]
              Originally posted by gerbo
              ...You see, this little polar bear was walking on the ice and noticed he had cold feet....

When you have to go into detail to explain a joke, it’s a sure sign it’s best to quickly forget the joke - and hope everyone else does the same LOL !

...Calrify this for me please; i thought that a good percentage of children with infantile scoliosis improve (some even without treatment)and go back to normal, following this recovery are they still meant to be at high risk, or is their risk the same as anybody else with a straight spine??
              I'm not sure..... There hasn't been one ortho that has told me he feels Deirdre is best off without any support and I'm certainly not going to take the lead. I don't know why some people feel she doesn't need any support – if it was your kid, what would you do ? Would you be so reckless? Bracing after serial casting is very important because the curve can still progress if conditions are not right.

I am aware that resolving infantile scoliosis can resolve on it’s own without treatment and doctors state that as much 90 % of all infantile cases fall into this category. These curves can take 18 to 24 months to resolve - I think the 90 % number is seriously over exaggerated. I’ve only come across one case of a true resolving scoliosis in the past three years. I realize that people who join support groups are people in need of support, but it does seem kind of odd when one considers how long it takes for a resolving curve to correct - one would expect to see many happy endings and not consistently progressing curves over time. I don't know about any other kid and what their circumstances may be, but if we had let nature take it's course and had watched and waited to see what happened to my daughter’s scoliosis, her curve would probably be about 200 degrees right now and she probably wouldn't have survived her childhood. If you want a better idea, just read the "Natural History of Progressive Infantile Scoliosis"
              Last edited by Celia; 05-15-2006, 04:53 AM.

Canadian eh
              Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• When you have to go into detail to explain a joke, it’s a sure sign it’s best to quickly forget the joke - and hope everyone else does the same LOL !
                this is all so painfull , it is obvious why my lifetime ambition to become a standup comedian is unlikely to come to fruition......

There hasn't been one ortho that has told me he feels Deirdre is best off without any support and I'm certainly not going to take the lead. I don't know why some people feel she doesn't need any support – if it was your kid, what would you do ? Would you be so reckless? Bracing after serial casting is very important because the curve can still progress if conditions are not right.
                what would i do?? I think currently i would do what you are doing (although i would never have thought to use the spinecor in somebody so young, sheer ignorance, and you were clearly right to take this route as the current results show) If my daughter would remain round the 0% inbrace for 1-2 years, i would ask for an xray out of brace (couple of days brace free), if she would keep the 0 degree I would consider her cured and would need to consider whether wearing the brace would be warranted, however, any curve over 10 degree and she would keep on wearing it.

Why do some people feel....
                See above, and also, your deirdre comes as close as anybody i have heared of to being cured from her scoliosis and i just wondered at what point you would consider her scoliosis-free

Don't get me wrong, I am full of admiration for all you are achieving and have achieved for your daughter, you are inspirational to many, including myself (no joke )

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
                  what would i do?? I think currently i would do what you are doing (although i would never have thought to use the spinecor in somebody so young, sheer ignorance, and you were clearly right to take this route as the current results show) If my daughter would remain round the 0% inbrace for 1-2 years, i would ask for an xray out of brace (couple of days brace free), if she would keep the 0 degree I would consider her cured and would need to consider whether wearing the brace would be warranted, however, any curve over 10 degree and she would keep on wearing it.
                  Sounds like a good plan!

See above, and also, your deirdre comes as close as anybody i have heared of to being cured from her scoliosis and i just wondered at what point you would consider her scoliosis-free
                  When Dr. Rivard tells me so. Oh, and thanks for the sweet comments.

Canadian eh
                  Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Originally posted by MATJESNIC
                    We will be in Montreal from July 19-20, if anyone wants to meet us there. Not sure when I will be in England again. Have been there a few times in my life. Anyone planning a trip to the States?
                    Melissa
                    Melissa,

It would be great if we could all get together one day ! We're going to be in Montreal this week and I don't suspect we'll be there again until November. I think Cheryl might be there in July, Cheryl ?

We did celebrate Mother's Day on the weekend! Hubby and the kids took me to a fancy restaurant and movie on Saturday because Sunday the line ups are ridiculous Sunday morning we went for a family jog and the path was literally covered in apple blossoms - the trees were hanging over the path like a canopy - it was soooooo beautiful. It's a day I won't soon forget

Canadian eh

Comment

• Celia,

That sounds like a nice weekend. We all went to the movies. My son didn't go because it was senior prom weekend and they all go down the shore (to the beach) afterwards. He came back with a huge balloon and a lot of guilt.

I thought you had only Deirdre. Do you have other children, too?

Maybe we will see you in November. I think that is when we will go back.

Melissa
                      Melissa

Comment

• [QUOTE=gerbo]this is all so painfull , it is obvious why my lifetime ambition to become a standup comedian is unlikely to come to fruition......

Gerbo,
                        I keep telling you how I tune in for your quick whit! You have at least one comedy fan! But don't quit your day job!

Hugs,
                        Cheryl

Comment

• Karen,

That is great. I wish you all great luck with your appointment. Remember to tell your daughter that it may seem confusing at first (knowing where all the straps go), but my 12-year old was an expert by the next day. If your daughter has any questions and wants to talk to someone with almost 9 months experience wearing the brace, let me know and we can arrange it. Have a safe trip. I bought my daughter a portable dvd player for our 7-hour ride and it saved the day.

Melissa
                          Melissa

Comment

• I was thinking of getting a portable DVD player for our trip to Montreal....I even looked on e-bay for some deals.

Canadian eh

Comment

• I got a Magnavox 7-inch screen at Sears for a hundred dollars. They have really come down in price.

Melissa
                              Melissa

Comment

• Karen,

I just listened to some of your recordings and all I can say is WOW !!!! You have a lovely voice.

Melissa,

I'm checking out Sears today, thanks for the heads up

Canadian eh

Comment

Working...
                                X