spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Celia Vogel
    Oh... you mean a Curriculum Vitae ? Sorry, I'm a little slow this morning I assume he/she is a PHD
    http://ag.arizona.edu/PLP/faculty/pages/hawes.html will give you some background. Funny enough, no mention of scoliosis whatsoever. Still I know she has published on the subject. I believe she has scoliosis herself, and like many of us, has taken an interest in the subject, and read a lot on the subjest and clearly developped quite a detailed understanding. Her scientific background will have helped her, no doubt. I suppose she is no different than many of us who have over the years developped quite an advanced understanding of many aspects of scoliosis management.

wait a minute, found another link, this time with reference to scoliosis http://ag.arizona.edu/pls/faculty/hawes_plp.htm
    Last edited by gerbo; 05-11-2006, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Celia Vogel
      On a lighter note Gerbo mentioned this article to me the other day and I thought I'd pass it along to others. I plan to go to the medical library today and read it.
      lighter note, whatyoumean??? I am being dragged in now to provide a bit of light relief, counterbalance to serious stuff? Light?? this is pretty heavy serious stuff

ANYWAY.....

this particular edition of the magazine is actually full of mouthwatering titles related to mainly the non surgical treatment of scoliosis. http://www.journalsonline.tandf.co.u...lts,1:102485,1

Worth getting if you can lay your hands on it, online copies of articles are available, but unfortunately horrendously expensive
      Last edited by gerbo; 05-11-2006, 07:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by green m&m
        Chicken or egg first...

Was (abnormal gait, wedged vetebrae, leg length discrpency, ect) the cause of or secondary to scoliosis? I think about these time to time... and end up running my thoughts around in a circle. *dizzy O_o* At least I know my wedged vetebraes aren't secondary to scoliosis..
        This is where i'd like to introduce a further article by Matha Hawes who in my mind has very clever ideas about scoliosis and who in her article descibes how she feels that lots of the structural scoliosis we see started its life as a non structural scoliosis and how small changes in the function or mechanics of the spine set of a whole chain of events which makes a mild, non structural scoliosis turn, through a vicious cycle, into a more severe structural version

http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/home/

its the fourth article on the page, there are a few more which i haven't read through yet. I'll keep an eye on what appears on that site anyway, if they keep it up, might be an interesting resource with a different perspective

Comment

• Originally posted by cherylplinder
          Her walk is normal now, her shoulders are much more even, and she is pain free.

Even if this brace does not correct her curve, it makes her able to function as a normal child. She was very incapacitated by her back. She didn't play long before it hurt her. She couldn't practice piano for more that about 10 minutes at a time. The only bonus for her was that the pain made it more difficult for her to do chores.

I think these are very exciting and worthwhile observations and indeed, good to know for yourself that at least you are improving her quality of life

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
            .... I believe she has scoliosis herself, and like many of us, has taken an interest in the subject, and read a lot on the subjest and clearly developped quite a detailed understanding. Her scientific background will have helped her, no doubt. I suppose she is no different than a celia vogel knowing everything there is to know about infantile scoliosis and serial casting or a karen Ocker knowing everything there is to know about the role of chiropractice treatment in scoliosis etc.

Wow....hold on there jeronemo....How did I get dragged into this The only thing I know about infantile scoliosis is that it's a very complex condition that needs treatment by a pediatric orthopaedic doctor. I'm really fortunate that the doctors that have/are treating Deirdre are top notch and that I live in the most AMAZING country that has universal health care.
            Last edited by Celia; 05-11-2006, 08:10 AM.

Canadian eh
            Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• too modest

Comment

• Gerbo,

We do have some control over events in our lives and it's important to educate ourselves on possible successful treatments. When it comes to scoliosis so many different theories abound as to the correct course of action...orthopaedic doctors can't even agree amongst themselves. Parents/patients have no choice but to search out answers.... surgery is a very permanent thing. I'm all for support groups and sharing information, I think it empowers us.

Canadian eh
                Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

This is where i'd like to introduce a further article by Matha Hawes who in my mind has very clever ideas about scoliosis and who in her article descibes how she feels that lots of the structural scoliosis we see started its life as a non structural scoliosis and how small changes in the function or mechanics of the spine set of a whole chain of events which makes a mild, non structural scoliosis turn, through a vicious cycle, into a more severe structural version

http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/home/

its the fourth article on the page, there are a few more which i haven't read through yet. I'll keep an eye on what appears on that site anyway, if they keep it up, might be an interesting resource with a different perspective

Gerbo,

This is a great link !!!! Thanks for sharing it

Canadian eh

Comment

• anyone know this?

has anyone heard of autocorrection in 3d?
                    is that a new type of scoli rehab?
                    I'd appreciate it if you could point me to where i could get more information..
                    can't seem to find it anywhere other than just mentions in the articles..
                    An important scientific innovation rarely makes its way by gradually winning over and converting its opponents: it rarely happens that Saul becomes Paul. What does happen is that its opponents gradually die out, and that the growing generation is familiarised with the ideas from the beginning.

Max Planck (the founder of Quantum Physics)

Comment

• Well, we have our followup in Montreal next week and I'm not expecting any surprises Cool as a cucumber, that's me.... Deirdre's back still looks very straight.

Canadian eh

Comment

• Celia,

That's great. Good luck with your appointment.

Happy Mother's Day to all you awesome Moms out there.

Melissa
                        Melissa
                        From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                        Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Well, we have our followup in Montreal next week and I'm not expecting any surprises Cool as a cucumber, that's me.... Deirdre's back still looks very straight.
                          ever considered there might be a life after scoliosis..........???

Anyway

Daddy polar bear and baby polar bear are walking around on the ice.
                          Baby polar bear asked, daddy, are you a real polar bear?
                          Yes son, I am
                          Daddy, is mummy a real polar bear?
                          Yes son, she is
                          But daddy; are granddad and grandma real polarbears?
                          Yes son, they are, why are you asking??

(blows in front paws and says in tiny babyvoice))......I've got cold feet!

Comment

ever considered there might be a life after scoliosis..........???
                            Yes, I have How about you ?

I can live with "1" degree in brace correction for the next 10 years…it’s not like she’s wearing the Milwaukee or has to have VEPTR expansions every 6 months. This is the kind of scoliosis I can live with. I wish there were a better way of monitoring her back besides x-rays every six months.... The Spinecor brace is a godsend; my little girl is living a very normal life right now – no different than any other 5 year old. She is wearing age appropriate clothes and not clothes that are two sizes too big. She can bend, she can do headstands, jump rope, ride her bike, take part in gym class and most important of all…. she feels no different than any other kid. I don't think she's going to suffer psychological damage from wearing the spinecor brace. So to answer your question.... I'm O.K. with this life right now and yes....I'm content in knowing that one day scoliosis will not be an issue AT ALL

Originally posted by gerbo
                            Daddy polar bear and baby polar bear are walking around on the ice.
                            Baby polar bear asked, daddy, are you a real polar bear?
                            Yes son, I am
                            Daddy, is mummy a real polar bear?
                            Yes son, she is
                            But daddy; are granddad and grandma real polarbears?
                            Yes son, they are, why are you asking??

(blows in front paws and says in tiny babyvoice))......I've got cold feet!

Gerbo,

Sometimes I JUST don't understand your humour This reminds me....have you seen the movie about the Emperor penguins ? It's so emotionally moving the way the father penguins all huddle together in -50 degree celsius temperatures to protect their egg.

Melissa and all other moms,

Have a great Mother's Day !!! If you want to have a good cry, read that poem on Mother's Day. Gerbo, if it makes you feel better, just replace "Mother" with "Gerbo" LOL !!!!
                            Last edited by Celia; 05-12-2006, 03:22 PM.

Canadian eh

Comment

• Sometimes I JUST don't understand your humour
                              its just a little joke about a polar bear with an identity crisis, i thought it was quite funny

I can live with "1" degree in brace correction for the next 10 years....This is the kind of scoliosis I can live with
                              do you consider her still having scoliosis??

The Spinecor brace is a godsend
                              can only but agree with that one, quality of life is so, so much better

I wish there were a better way of monitoring her back besides x-rays every six months

ofcourse one could consider not x raying her every 6 months if she looks straight, there is also this method using light shining over the surface of the back, (forgotten its name,) but it seems to give a reasonable impression without the exposure to radiation

Gerbo, if it makes you feel better, just replace "Mother" with "Gerbo" LOL
                              as if a gerbo could replace a mother, no way, preferred the line where the dad was clearing the path, fighting the wild animals and generally being very masculine and tough but ofcourse with a very soft core and kind heart and still in touch with his feminine side........
                              Last edited by gerbo; 05-13-2006, 06:16 AM.

Comment

its just a little joke about a polar bear with an identity crisis, i thought it was quite funny
                                Well...I didn't know if it had something to do with my statement about being "cool as a cucumber" and wasn't sure how "cold feet" tied into it

do you consider her still having scoliosis??
                                Of course !! Duh ! She has infantile scoliosis, one of the most aggressive forms of scoliosis there is. She HAS to be monitored/treated until she's finished growing. If she has to wear the Spinecor brace until that time, I don't care. I remember reading about a six year old who was diagnosed with a 60 degree curve and I think she was treated by that famous ortho Lonstein - with the Milwaukee brace they were able to get her curve down to 8 degrees, but everytime they weaned her from the brace, the curve would progress. The poor girl had to wear the Milwaukee from the age of 6 to 17 years... Once she was finished growing, her curve was stable at 20 degrees...

as if a gerbo could replace a mother, no way, preferred the line where the dad was clearing the path, fighting the wild animals and generally being very masculine and tough but ofcourse with a very soft core and kind heart and still in touch with his feminine side........
                                You're pulling my heart strings. O.K.. you can be the masculine dad wrestling animals to the ground. Happy now ?
                                Last edited by Celia; 05-13-2006, 07:52 AM.

Canadian eh

Comment

Working...
                                X