Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladies..

just wanted to introduce myself...
    I'm a chiropractor and I found this site while doing some research for my scoli patient's tx options...
    I was looking into spinecor and the thread title caught my attention...
    I've followed through some of your posts and must say I'm impressed and will recommend my patient for this brace..

BTW, I noticed some of you mentioned vestibular testing device. Since I do not do that in my office and I do not have Dimplomate of Neurology (3 additional post doctorate education) I can't say I know exactly how it works..but I could shed some principles since some of the technique I use is based on the same principle..and alot of sports rehab does now...the knowledge of human body has been so limited up until past decade and all the new studies pouring out are making big changes in the way we think of the body...the seemingly weirdest and most complex area would be the neurology lol..

Anyway, let me give you a simple example of what I do and perhaps you'll get the gist of the device. When a patient complains of spinal muscle spasm or contraction, there are several ways to lengthen the shortened muscles...one of the ways is what's called muscle energy technique...you have the patient move as far as he/she can to the restricted side, then have them do isometric contraction on that spasmodic muscle, relax..and you can move a little further...and you keep doing it until you achieve optimal results...and it works quite good...now...there is a procedure that actually helps this process along and that's using eye muscles...when patient is doing isometric contraction, patient rolls eyes towards the contracted side..and when they relax and it's time to stretch, eyes are rolled to the side the neck is being stretched to...

Eye muscles seem to be connected to your skeletal muscles (the pathway is too complicated to explain here...and most doctors cannot recite this anyway lol) and do effect their actions...I could give you a simple demonstration right now...

Now..it's pretty simple...so try it right now...
    Roll your eyes to far right wall...stare at it...roll it all the way to right and keep it there...do not move it...while you have your eyes there, try rotating your head to left...you'll find it a bit challenging..

Now, roll your eyes to left all the way and rotate to left..same side...you'll find it much easier and you can rotate quite farther...

Muscles contract and relax with different cues from your brain and many things effect your brain...eye muscles are one of the primary ones..

I think there was a study that scoli patients always have eye muscle imbalance...dont' quote me on that...I'll have to look that up myself...

Dr. Deutsch (SP?) some of you mentioned is a Diplomate of Neurology and teaches this...

Oh..I also noticed some of you mentioned Dr. Ron out in CA...that's the doc i'll be referring my patients to for bracing...he's the only guy out here...i'm looking into accreditation for spinecore fitting myself...I can't believe some of you are flying to different states or countries to get this done...hopefully, spinecor will be the standard for bracing and more Dr's will offer the fitting service...the process is quite rigorous...probably one of the reason why there aren't too many centers at this point...

anyway...thanx for all the good info..i've learned so much from this thread...Now i can let my patients know all the pros and cons of spinecor from patient point of view...

I'll be lurking around to learn more from you guys so if you have any questions regarding chiropractic aspect of tx, I could certainly share some input..
    An important scientific innovation rarely makes its way by gradually winning over and converting its opponents: it rarely happens that Saul becomes Paul. What does happen is that its opponents gradually die out, and that the growing generation is familiarised with the ideas from the beginning.

Max Planck (the founder of Quantum Physics)

Comment

• Oh..i forgot to add...some of you were wondering about the rehab aspect of scoliosis..

The wobble boards are used mainly to train proprioception...
      Each joins in your body has what's called mechanoreceptors that detect positional sense and sends it to the brain so that it could respond appropriately...I use it to improve athletic peformance and prevent injuries...
      when mechanoreceptors are inhibited, one could over compensate and suffer cramps or if not enough response, sprain or strain..

anyway, idiopathic scoliosis is just one of the scoliosis as you all know...
      there are other types of scoliosis and one of them are posture related..in those cases, when certain joints are flexed to one side and kept there for a long time, mechanoreceptors are inhibited and your brain thinks that flexed position is the normal position...so mucles on the contracted side shortens permanently...in those cases, we utilize adjustments to stimulate mechanoreceptors and stretch out the shortened muscles...
      balancing exercises such as wobble board makes mechanoreceptors fire like crazy...and also strengthens the accesory muscles to guard the joint better..
      Swimming is another exercise that fires up mechanoreceptors on your spine...

Now...why would you be doing this to idiopathic scoli patients? When you are stuck at certain position, as I mentioned above, your brain is fooled into thinking that that is the normal position...so posture isn't the main cause of idiopathic scoli(well we don't know what's causing it yet although there are some promising studies pointing to hormonal imbalance) it can be the secondary player and be the contributing factor...

Some of the chiropractic practitioners treating scoliosis without braces do achieve some good results with rehabs alone...I wouldn't go around getting adjusted from any chiropractor though..there is a specific technique which does wonders at times and the most popular form of technique that most chiropractors utilize do not get results with scoliosis...

Some of the techniques specific for spinal correction would be Pettibon and CBP (based on neurology)...I can only comment on CBP since that's what I do on some occasions...it's serious of global adjusting in mirror image and mirror image and balance exercises...I feel with this type of rehab along with spinecor bracing would do wonders...

I am also thinking of adding some more protocols such as Grastons to break down adhesions of the contracted side and maybe muscle energy work to stretch out the muscles manually...I'm quite excited...this brace is opening up a whole new treatment options...All these would've been impossible with hard bracing...
      An important scientific innovation rarely makes its way by gradually winning over and converting its opponents: it rarely happens that Saul becomes Paul. What does happen is that its opponents gradually die out, and that the growing generation is familiarised with the ideas from the beginning.

Max Planck (the founder of Quantum Physics)

Comment

• BlueCrystal,
        You misunderstood me. All but $900 of the brace was covered. I also have paid out around $6,000. I have only seen $2,000. I have my deductibles and everything is considered out of network. We have Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas. Yes, we live in Pa. This was the only insurance offered by my husband's company (we didn't want an HMO). So all but $900 was covered for the $3,500 brace. This has been a huge expense for us. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
        Melissa
        Melissa
        From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
        Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Melissa, no apology necessary... bottom-line is any cash back is great news. I still have no news on my appeal, and the doctor's office is stepping in to try and get some of the charges approved. It has been a huge expense for us too... and has cleaned us out pretty much, but its worth every penny to me... we just crossed the $6,000 mark ourselves and have only recovered $1,668 of it, but I WILL continue to fight the good fight.

Interesting read, sportsdoc... thanks for taking the time. The hormonal imbalance studies caught my eye... I'd like to hear more on that.

Took my son for his five week followup appointment today... his bands were getting loose, so it was really good timing. First, we were kept waiting two hours because the first patient's curve had changed, so he had to be rebraced... the second patient, in from Colorado, same thing... rebrace. But, the same can happen to us at any time, and I planned on spending the day in the city, so while my wife waited with my oldest, my youngest and my neice and I all played around in the city...

One tip, though: If you get to Dr. Deutchman and in the rare instance he's running behind, leave your cell phone number with the receptionist and go play until she tells you its time for your appointment...

Anyway, it is with great pleasure that I announce that in just five weeks, Nick's top curve was, without brace, at 24 degrees, it decreased to 19 degrees when he was first braced, and today, after his adjustment, he is now at 16 degrees!!! WOOHOO!!!

However, the bottom curve, at 19 (or 21, I forget), didn't move at all either way... that will be the one to watch.

Next appointment is in two months... springtime in the city... looking forward to it.

Comment

• sounds pretty good to me, very encouraging!!

Comment

• That is great news about your son's curve. We have never had to wait for our appt. We usually have a 10 or 11:00 appt. and we always went right in. I guess his practice is growing. Anyway, we are going back in April, as well. Have you eaten at the Jackson Hole yet? It is a chain that is famous for its burgers. There is one near the office. I don't eat burgers, but my husband says they are good.
              Melissa
              Melissa
              From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
              Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Congratulations! I am so happy for you and your son! I asked Dr. Rivard in January if the bone ever remodeled, correcting the structural deformities in the spine. He said that does happen. (obviously not every time) I found that very encouraging. Keep up the good work!
                God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueCrystalMan
                  However, the bottom curve, at 19 (or 21, I forget), didn't move at all either way... that will be the one to watch.

Next appointment is in two months... springtime in the city... looking forward to it.
                  WooHoo !! Party at your place ? What was the lumbar curve to start with ?

Canadian eh
                  Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Heh... yeah... I figure we could lay the brace out in the yard when all is said and done and dance around that $3,500 cloth and bands contraption.

Not a big red meat fan here anymore, but we did find a great Italian restaurant around the corner from his office that butts up against the sidewalk with big glass windows... nice to sit and watch the world go by.

The lumbar I BELIEVE was 21... no change either way with the brace.

Comment

• Hey!

Y'all have a great weekend!

Ailea,
                      When is your appointment? I know you said you were having one soon. I'm thinking about you and crossing my fingers. You have been having great results. I think that will continue. Keep your chin up and let us know!
                      Hugs!!!!!
                      Cheryl
                      Last edited by cherylplinder; 02-23-2006, 10:16 PM.
                      God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Hey gang,

I'm uploading some pics of Deirdre. In one of them, she is wearing the Spinecor brace

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Picture135.jpg
                        http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Picture129.jpg
                        http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Picture133.jpg
                        http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Picture144.jpg
                        Last edited by Celia; 03-02-2006, 08:27 AM.

Canadian eh
                        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• amazing, the size of the furniture they fit in these igloo's

Comment

• LOL !!! It's one of the deluxe models, complete with an outhouse.

Canadian eh

Comment

• Comment

• Hey Celia,
                                Just wanted to say what a little beauty Deirdre is, and her back looks great! I have been "lurking" on this thread for awhile...interested to see how the Spinecor is working out. Hope everything continues to go well for you guys!
                                Cathy

Comment

Working...
                                X