spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leokatmom:
    It is my understanding that Dr. Rivard and Dr. Colliard do not consider the Spinecor brace a success unless it has given a reduction in curve(s). Hard bracing hopes to achieve stabilization but not reduction.
    Ruth
    Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

• I hope that is the case. Have they been able to follow a fairly large number of patients for some years after bracing ?

Comment

• Hi All,

It was my understanding from Dr Rivard, that only after years in the brace and after the growth of the body has stopped that you will get the "real" curvature degree. However as a child grows, as they are in the spine cor brace, their spine will find a new comfort zone and grow straighter. As the child grows and is in the brace, their spine will shift and be held in a straighter position. After they are done growing and the brace comes off, they may shift a little but overall the spine should be straighter. After years of being held in a position, the spine will hold that position or something close to it. It's a theory, but it makes sense.

I wish there was someone on this forum to speak to the success of spine cor years after they were out of it.

Has anyone here had success with spine cor after reaching full growth and being out of the brace say at least two years?? I am curious about spine cors success.

Stephanie
        Mom to Michela ~age 12 ~VBS @ age 9 - 12/19/07 26* to 1*
        10/8/08 ~ curve is immeasurable!!
        07/16/09 ~ a few degrees overcorrected... being monitored
        12/28/09 ~ 14* overcorrected to the right
        2/23/10 ~ 12* overcorrected
        3/12/10 ~ Boston Brace at night to prevent further overcorrection. In brace corrects to -8*

Comment

• Cheryl,

I noticed it's your birthday today!!!! So here goes....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
          HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
          HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR CHERYL
          HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOOOOOOOOOUUUUU!!

Thanks for the support as always!!!

I love you!

celia

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Celia,
            Thanks for the birthday wishes!
            You are one of the big reasons I have made it through the past 2 years with my sanity! You are a wonderful friend!
            I love you, too!

Cheryl
            God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Just a quick non-scoliosis related update for some who have been keeping track of other things going on in our lives.

I had a wonderful Thanksgiving with my mom, who has rapidly deteriorated with frontal lobe dementia over the past couple of years. She was very alert. She still knows everyone and everthing that is going on around her. She almost can't speak anymore, but we manage to communicate.
              As rapidly as she went down last year, I didn't think we would have her this year. Some of her meds were adversely affecting her condition and when they were changed or eliminated recently, she improved. She is able to walk much better and has some energy to live again. I knew you all would be happy for me. She loved decorating for Christmas and she still indicated whether we were doing it right!
              I am still not moved into that crazy house! I have looked at it as a refining fire. I have grown a lot. I had to grow to keep it from making me depressed or crazy!
              Maybe by Christmas, but I won't hold my breath!

Love and Merry Christmas to all!

Cheryl
              God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• You probably already know this but in case you don't - on the Spinecor website ( http://www.spinecorporation.com/English/index.htm ) there are the results of the Spinecor studies

http://www.spinecorporation.com/Engl...Jan%202007.pdf

Also some information under Scientific Studies.

Ruth
                Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

• Ruth,
                  Good luck at your appointment on Wednesday. Keep us posted. I understand how stressful all this is.
                  A big (((((((cyberhug))))))))))and lots of prayers.
                  Cheryl

Comment

• I'll be thinking of you and Esme tomorrow, Ruth. Good luck!

Mary Ellen

Comment

• Cheryl,

When it rains it pours! There is a safe harbour during these turbulent times that keeps us all anchored. So glad you mom is feeling better and is regaining her memory. Where are you living now?

Canadian eh
                      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• It pours most of the time, I think, but I always see God use it for good, and most of the time, I rest in that.

I am still in my old house in Meridian, MS. Maybe my new house will be ready soon. Like I say, I won't hold my breath, but God has used it to help me have peace in the everyday trials.
                        I usually have peace in the crisis because I have no control over the circumstances, it's the things in my daily control that I often don't turn over, and I have been grateful that that crazy house has helped me to turn more of my daily stresses to God.
                        Last edited by cherylplinder; 11-28-2007, 07:14 AM.

Comment

• Thank you for the good wishes for our visit to Montreal tomorrow. It is nerve racking going to these doctors - you never know what you are going to find out this time and we have had some real shocker appointments!! It is snowing again tonight so I hope the roads are cleared up by the time we have to go.
                          Ruth

Comment

• Good luck tomorrow Ruth. I know you have worked so hard! I really hope it's positive news. (((hugs)))

Cheryl,

I was thinking about safe harbours and came to the realization that for me, it's state of mind as I look to that inner child many years ago who believed she could accomplish anything and the world was filled with wonder and bright futures. This helps me get through times of adversity. I'm reminded of this every time I look into my daughter's face.

Canadian eh

Comment

• back from Montrael

Ruth- i wish you good luck on the Nov.28th check up.

Jill-we came back from Montreal. it was a fantastic vacation for our family. dr.Rivard and Dr.coillard deserve credit for being more than a doctor. we arrived an hour early for the appointment, dr. rivard just walked out of the office,after the greeting we flowed him to the fitting room. dr. coillard was there,she gave me the direction to the administration to apply a blue card while i was reading the instructions she said "let me go with you." we followed her to the administration, payment, and x-ray without waiting. She is the most amazing doctor i ever met!

Jennifer's brace has been adjusted!! she asked "did you lose the right thigh band?" i told her that it has been like that ever since we got it . she said that the brace always had both thigh bands. then she did a lot of measurement and made lots of adjustments and add a used thigh band . Then we went to dr. rivard. he said "where did dr. deutchman put the right thigh band? i need to charge you $200 for that." the computer showed T23L25 in brace (the initial wasT38L20) i asked if the lumbar progressing? he said that different machines and different doctors cannot be compared. we will start from here. he talked to dr. coillard and said that Jennifer will have a great chance to avoid surgery.Our next appointment will be 03/31/08, we will enjoin the spring Montreal.

The appointment with dr. moreau was great,we stay in his office over an hour. three of us gave blood,he promised to send the blood test results as soon as they were available. he said his research is looking for a drug to treat scoliosis,the result was expected to be available in late 2008, i feel it is pretty promising.

Elaine
                              Last edited by qiling; 11-28-2007, 02:53 PM.
                              Mother to Jennifer, 11 yrs. Initial curve T38L20 07/30/07
                              T31L20 09/24/07 out brace (Boston brace)
                              T21L18 09/24/07 in brace (Spinecor)
                              T34L28 10/26/07 in brace
                              T28L27 11/22/07 out brace
                              T23L25 11/22/07 in brace

Comment

• Ruth,
                                I am thinking about you this morning. Hugs.
                                Cheryl

Comment

Working...
                                X