spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• correction, sorry!

Sorry, my husband telsl me her curve last week in brace, was actually "zero," not one. Sorry, so she went from a "7" to a "0!" p

Comment

• Zero ?? Well, that's even better than "1" ! Why couldn't we be zero ? JUST KIDDING ! I can't understand this whole thing about naming braces, we just call it "the brace" What are you supposed to do, call it Georgie Porgie or something ? So I'll say to Deirdre...O.K. sweetie, let's go put on "Georgie Porgie" LOL !!! I'm in one of those moods today, sorry.

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Originally posted by Celia Vogel
        LOL !!! I'm in one of those moods today, sorry.
        that is following a fair few bottles of champagne the last few days???

Comment

• Nicole has been angry about her brace lately and has changed its name from Roxy to Crap. Cruddy, ridiculous, annoying, pest. I told her I liked the name because part of the reason I think she says these things is to get a reaction from me. Anyway, she says that if we find out the brace is working, she will change it back to Roxy. She also doesn't want to tell Dr. Deutchman about the name Crap because she doesn't want to hurt his feelings. Just thought I would share a little about my daughter today!

Melissa[/QUOTE]

Melissa, I was laughing out loud when I read this! At least Nicole is keeping her sense of humor....Anastasia had her first blow up last night actually, hours before we were catching the plane to Greece to have the forst follow-
          up with the orthotist. She was so tired after her dance class, her eyes were all red, she took a shower and she said: I don't like "spinecor" anymore and I will never put it on ever again!!! ....well, she took a nap(without the brace) and when she got up she walked straight to it and put it on without a word and no comment.And she was happy again....
          I am now writing from Greece. Tomorrow we are seeing the orthotist and I am hoping for just one little positive word...

Pat and Celia both of your daughters have such great results and it is just wonderful. Although my daughters curve is bigger and also has a thoracic curve I am still very hopefull about the spinecor after hearing your stories. I will let you know what the orthotists tell us tomorrow.......

Comment

• Spinecor

CyprusMom,
            Nicole and I have been thinking about Anastasia all day. I can't wait to hear the news. Please try to give as many details as possible. I really appreciate it. Nicole is more similar to Anastasia because her curve is also large, 37. I think it is considered a thorasic/lumbar curve. I am not sure. But I will definitely ask again in a couple of weeks. Thanks so much for posting. Our thoughts and prayers are with you from a long distance in Pennsylvania, USA!!!!
            Take care,
            Melissa
            Melissa
            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• confusion!!!

Gerbo,
              LOL!!! You are right. I didn't realize you were a SpineCor Dad. I was not very observant because I just looked back at a previous post and the letter you received about the Spinecor was addressed to Mr. My sincerest apologies. My husband used to come on here a lot until I started posting and now just I come on. But I bet he would like to talk to you. He is also a very involved and concerned Dad. In my own defense, I had never heard of the name Gerbo. Perhaps it is more common where you live. Gee, I hope I never said anything here that I normally wouldn't say in front of a man!!! LOL!! Did any of you other women make this mistake? Be honest!
              Anyway Gerbo, Nicole has been generally angry about this whole scoli business. She is not the most easy-going child. Her biggest fear is that she will need surgery and have to miss a year of dance. And then she will be behind in dance. That is truly her biggest fear. Which is probably a good thing because obviously my fears about all of this differ greatly. Anyway, hope we all had a good laugh. Just curious, did you have a feeling that we may not have known?

Melissa

Originally posted by gerbo
              Also about the fact I am a spinecor-DAD??

also eleven, going on 16 1/2. She is very happy today as for a whole three days she is not to wear her hard brace at all, in preparation for our spinecorassesment on friday.

general teenage tantrum or something specific about the brace?? (brace is a word not to be used in our house, lisanna hates it)
              Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Ok spinecor moms and dads, (yes I also thought of you Gerbo as a mom....)
                here is our good news from Greece, YES we had good some positive indication that the spinecor is working on Anastasia. Although she is only been wearing it for 45 days the orthotist measured her with the scoliometer to check her thoracic and lumbar curve and both have decreased. Thoracic from 14 down to 10 and lumbar from 4 down to 2. That without the brace.
                He said it was a very significant decrease in such short time. It means that the brain is sending the right messages.
                He then tightened two of the bands, number 1 and number 4 to, hopefully keep improving...
                Oh, and I ordered (and paid) for an extra bolero and got 2 extra bands to change, the 2 that go under her arms,(and get a bit smelly after a while)

As he explained, these curves are the significant ones to worry about at this stage with such large scoliosis. January we are seeing the orthopedic for a clinical exam and probably x-rays.
                Also, yesterday we visited the physiotherapist who looked at her exercises how she does them and was also very pleased with the execution. She has a very good body awareness and is able to do the "correction" properly.

Thank you for your thoughts and hope to hear good news from all spinecor moms and dads!

Comment

• Yeah! Wonderful news! You and Anastasia must be thrilled!
                  Keep up the good work!! pat

Comment

• Good News for Anastasia

Cyprusmom,
                    You have no idea how happy we are for all of you. I have been thinking about you all day and wondering how the appointment went. Anastasia must be thrilled that all of her hard work with her exercises have paid off. I appreciate that you gave us details. But of course, I am still confused anyway. Did they take x-rays in and out of the brace? Are you saying that her curve in the 30's are now in their teens out of the brace? I'm sorry for being such a pain. Just want to understand. Anyway, have a safe trip back and thanks again for sharing with us. We are all in this together.

Melissa
                    Melissa

Comment

• Isn't it loverly to be one of the girls, gives you a whole new perspective on life, the universe and whether my gluteal muscles look big in my trousers.
                      Similar confusion at another site I contribute to, I clearly must be in touch with my feminine site. Am I bothered? No, think it is kind of funny.

Cyprusmum (feel silly using computernames, but do not know your proper name), great to see that things seem to work well. What was the original curve on presentation again? It helps me greatly to see others benefitting, we'll be going for our first assesment tomorrow.........

re out of brace xrays; I think they are hardly significant in the early stages as any improvement out of brace now is unlikely to be structural, with other words, one wwould expect reversion to old situation fairly quickly if brace would be discarded. I would expect it to take a long time for the spine to "grow into the new situation/ position" with significant changes required to ligaments/ muscles/ neurological connections and (Maybe???) bones. The available evidence on liklyhood of long tyerm improvement is based on followup measurements in the brace, not out of brace, so i wouldn't be too bothered about them

Still, the sun must be shining in Cyprus

gerbo

Comment

• Gerbo,

You make me laugh ! I have no idea why people are always confusing you for a woman, after all your name is Gerbo LOL !!

Cyprusmom,

That is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL NEWS !!!! Dr Coillard also used a plastic thingy on Deirdre's back and I was wondering what it was - I guess it was a scoliometer. They jotted down this information on the computer which had a skeletal image of all her vertebrae, then we went for one in brace P/A x-ray in radiology.

Canadian eh
                        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• I wonder how much these scoliometer measurements come with similar figures as the Xray?

Comment

• It seems like everybody is doing great with their braces!! I must congratulate you all. I Know how stressful is when an appointment is coming up...and when the news are good, you feel you can breathe and keep on dealing with all this,
                            Best wishes!!

Ailea
                            2004: Daughter diagnosed at 13 L38º. Risser 0.
                            Treatment: Cheneau brace
                            2009: Brace free, 18 years old, Risser 5, L25º

Comment

• confused

Hello,
                              Am I the only one who doesn't understand what the numbers meant. Help me, someone. I am so confused. I thought the curve was in the 30's. I don't understand going down from 14 to 10. Where do those numbers come from? I am talking about the latest news from CyprusMom.
                              Just wondering, is Gerbo a fairly common name in the U.K? I have never heard of it, being in the States.
                              Thanks all,
                              Melissa
                              Melissa

Comment

• Melissa you are not the only one confused here! Believe me I heard so many different numbers and measurements in the last 2 months since we found out about Anastasias scoliosis that I am not sure I will get you out of your confusion with my explanation.
                                Our ordeal started with conflicting measurements of the curve on the x-ray that was taken the very first day we found out (and before I found out about Spinecor) . The radiologist in Cyprus listed it as a 32 degree thoracic scoliosis. We come to Greece for our spinecor appointement and the orthotist looks and meausures the same x-ray as 40(!)degree thoracic and 30 lumbar. (back then ofcourse I was still in a fog and none of these numbers made sense plus you can imagine my shock of the new measurements! ) Her thoracic rotation was 14 (that I understand, AND see is the horizontal rotation of her thorax therefore the hump she has when she bends down) Lumbar rotation 4 down to 2, again is the horizontal rotation down low.
                                I asked the orthotist about the 40 degree and how is IT doing and he explained to me that with such large scoliosis and still so early in the course the rotations are the significant ones to check. They showed significant decrease and he was very happy with that. And this guy is straight forward never promised anything or hardly given us much hope before.
                                I imagine when the orthopedic sees her on the 16th of January he will clinically check more on everything. No we had no x-ray taken now, only bands re-adjusted.
                                The plastic thingie is the scoliometer, don't know how it complies with x-rays, I believe, but I might be wrong, it only measures the horizontal rotation.

Gerbo, good luck with your appointement, would that be your daughters first? Let us know how it goes.

Melissa, does Nicole have a thoracic rotation? Do you see a hump when she bends down? I remember you mentioned her shoulder blade sticking out. That usually is caused by a rotation of the thorax.
                                Well, enough said, maybe I got everyone more confused but any comment on that will help me too!
                                Pola (my real name)

Comment

Working...
                                X