No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does bracing work for some and not for others? Because all scoliosis is not alike. Down the road we will know more about which type of scoli each patient has. I work with kids with autism. We do basically the same program with the same children (if appropriate). We get better results with some because they are finding that there are many types of autism. Some children have more areas of impairment than others.

Dr. Deutchman explained why there is a compensatory curve. People are curved and they don't walk around bent to the side. They stand upright and this results in a compensatory curve. The doctors at Shriner's said there was nothing to do for her upper curve. But Dr. Coillard put a strap around it and is trying to hold it. Doing something is better than being told there is nothing we could do. So why not?

As far as brace cost is concerned. It is like going into a retail store. We did call around and everyone is not charging the same for their Spinecor. Of course there is probably a minimum of $2,500. But some charge as much as $3,500. Some charge more for replacement bands than others. I know this for a fact.

As far as chiros are concerned, I told you, SportsDoc that some have saved my husband from back pain when the doctors couldn't. Right now I am going to one for stiffness in my neck and shoulders. I am getting tingling all throughout my limbs and he ordered an MRI for me. I am going today. I am not a chiro hater. But I would never let a chiro adjust my growing child. Especially one with scoli.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
      Anyway, this sec curve is bigger than the original curve, and although i have had reassurances from all sides it will go eventually, i feel that nervous about it, so in a way do not even want to think about it, let alone show it. Still, she looked that straight dancing this weekend, so something must be going right....
      Gerbo,

I would check with Dr. Rivard and find out if the torso rotation exercises Lisanna is doing are a contraindication to the Spinecor brace and what his thoughts are... I know you are a firm believer in these exercises and I wholeheartedly agree but it's best to be on the safe side. The next question is a little personal so be prepared When Lisanna goes to the loo does she remove the thigh bands AND the crotch straps??? If she does then the whole brace must be reapplied because the elastic bands will have shifted - I think I read this in the Spinecor manual and that's why the body suits or underwear with snaps are so important. I've read of boys wearing a long t-shirt under the brace and regular underwear over the brace but their anatomy is a little different making this a possible scenario. Sorry if this is a little graphic but it's best to be clear on proper fitting as we do want the best outcome for all our children.

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Celia

The "loo" that is sweet! If you don't mind I would like to share. My daughter one day out of the blue started to just unsnap her body suit and tuck the back of it up in the brace. She does not undo anything else. This makes it much easier. So far no wet parts.
        from CT, USA
        6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
        8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
        10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
        10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
        10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
        4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
        8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
        2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
        3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Rachel wears a full short sleeved t-shirt under her brace, with another t-shirt on top. This reduces the irritation from the strap that goes under her arm. She wears a brief style(short leg) underwear to help with the irritation at her leg. She pulls her underwear to the side to used the restroom(except when she has a movement, then she takes her brace off.)
          God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Pictures from our Montreal trip March 2007

I thought you might all like to see pictures from our recent trip to Montreal:

I guess this guy is important.
            http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Scanner058.jpg

Notre Dame Basilica church in Montreal. VERY beautiful!
            http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Scanner057.jpg

Horse drawn carriages.
            http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...Scanner055.jpg

Sunset view from the train on the way back home.
            http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...wtrainride.jpg

Last edited by Celia; 03-28-2007, 12:21 PM.

Canadian eh
            Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Great pictures!
              Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Pictures!

Click the first link to see a picture of my dogs, Jake and Roxy. The second link is my daughter Jessica with some of her friends in front of our fire place before her junior prom. (she's in the orange dress)
                Melissa

Comment

• The dogs are adorable!
                  Jessie is stunning!
                  God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Goodbye

Goodbye!! I am officially retireing Monday. Looking forward to unemployment!

Comment

• Melissa,

Love the pictures! Brings back memories of my own high school prom - at the time it was *the* social event of my life. My date rented a Rolls Royce... it was sooooo funny I felt like a movie star.

Canadian eh

Comment

• More Pictures

I love pictures, here are a few of Lorena and my younger one Gabriella.

These are from a wedding they were in several months back.

Amanda
                        Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
                        Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                        Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
                        Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
                        Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
                        26 Degree Post Op Curve
                        Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                        Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
                        YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

• Those pictures were precious. The one with Lorena and the little boy looks like it could be in a magazine for formal wear. Thanks for sharing.
                          Melissa

Comment

• Celia,

Now all the kids go in limos for over a hundred dollars a couple. The limo takes them back and forth and does nothing in between that time. Some Parents have used the limo during that time period to just drive around or go somewhere. They figure they are paying for it, why not.
                            Melissa

Comment

• Amanda,

Your girls are cutie pies!!!

Melissa,

When I went to the prom many many moons ago my date paid for it He did get a kiss - actually he was the very first boy I ever kissed *blushes* I think he deserved it!

Last edited by Celia; 03-29-2007, 06:09 PM.

Canadian eh

Comment

• Hi guys. I haven't posted in a while. I am still terrible at this.
                                I am taking my daughter to Montreal April 10th. I am excited and scared at the same time. I hope everything goes well.
                                I tried to get her to Shriner's Erie, but they wouldn't brace her yet. I sent her xrays, and they said that they don't brace until 25 degrees (she is at 17 degrees now). But, I know that the Canadian doctors want to brace before then, so that's where I am going.
                                Does anyone have any tips for us, going to Sainte Justine, and seeing Dr. Rivard or Colliard? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X