spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celia,

I can't believe how straight her spine is!!!!
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Thanks Melissa! Gerbo, I don't think she's ready to go without the brace. It's obvious from the picture that it's pushing her straight because her spine isn't centred properly. If you look closely, you can tell the apex of the curve is not completely healed and there is either wedging or rotation??? Anyway.... I'm very happy that we can continue with the brace and I really don't care if she has to wear the Spinecor until skeletal maturity - It is *so* much better than the alternative. Have I mentioned that I *LOVE* dr. Rivard and dr. Coillard *wipes a tear*

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• i wasn't suggesting one moment to go without, but do wonder what her spine looks like unsupported. Clearly no out of brace xrays taken. Where is the apex, by the way?

Comment

• The apex is at T8 and T9 and it might just be wedging because the pedicles are in full view. Dr. Coillard used a scoliometer to read the curve without the brace and I didn't ask what the number was because I didn't want to interrupt her at the time. Do you have a picture of Lisanna's curve showing the postural curve?

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• no, they still take oldfashioned xrays were we go, so no copy to show. Anyway, this sec curve is bigger than the original curve, and although i have had reassurances from all sides it will go eventually, i feel that nervous about it, so in a way do not even want to think about it, let alone show it. Still, she looked that straight dancing this weekend, so something must be going right....

Comment

• That is one great looking x-ray!
              We are so blessed to have such miracle workers as our doctors. I thank God every day!
              Yes, you have to love Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard!
              Hugs and cheers! One more successful visit under your belt!

I get nervous every time! Isn't it nice to have it over!
              God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• spinecor x-rays

I had some questions for anyone using the spinecor under the care of the Montreal Drs.

Is it standard procedure up there to take x-rays with the brace on? Do they ever require removal of the brace a week or so prior to the x-ray for a more accurate and realistic indication of the out-of-brace curve measurement(s)?

Has there been any follow-up on previous spinecor brace users who developed the secondary curvatures as noted by Gerbo and Celia in their children? Is there any evidence of its progression or diminishment, whichever the case might be?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                Structural

Comment

• I was told that there is little point to taking x-rays without the spinecor on until the risser is at a 3. There is so much change over the course of that period that it would not tell an accurate story. But when they do take the x-ray without the brace, I remember Dr. Rivard saying that the child should be out of the brace for about a week. Please don't quote me on either of these statements. I receive a lot of info while I am there.

Yes, my daughter had a compensatory curve that has increased over the past 18 months. In fact, nobody ever mentioned that curve to me. Not even the ortho who diagnosed her at Temple Hospital. It is interesting because I once mentioned that Dr. Coillard actually believes that it was the main curve all along. Not sure if I understand all that.
                  Melissa
                  From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                  Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Matjesnic,

Thanks for the reply. Does the risser number apply to those children who are still very young? I was just thinking that if they were to do an out-of-brace x-ray on a child who was say 4, 5 or 6 it might give an indication regarding whether the etiology (cause) was still a present factor. If it was still a factor, then wouldn't they need to remain in the spinecor brace for more than the recommended minimum of two years? Possibly for their entire childhood? Essentially becoming a race against growth and progression.? Just thinking aloud.

What have they proposed to do with your daughter's compensatory curve (or primary, whichever it is)? That is interesting. Are they now adjusting the brace for that curve?

There seems to be a pattern forming here regarding these 'secondary curves'. Has anyone else had this experience as well? I wonder if this is an unfortunate byproduct of the spinecor brace.??? I guess only time will tell. It would be great to see a third party controlled study done on this brace to get a better idea of what its effect really is. Studies done by the makers are interesting and important, but I can't help but feel as though there is a certain amount of vested interest in its outcome. I can't imagine what the Montreal Drs would say/do if their studies proved problematic for the brace that they've been administering all this time.??? I guess for the time being we just forge ahead.

Regards,
                    Structural

Comment

• I think we're doing pretty darn good considering our starting point I have complete faith in Drs Rivard and Coillard when they tell me that the postural curve is transient. Trusting YOU would be a different matter!

Last edited by Celia; 03-19-2007, 07:00 PM.

Canadian eh

Comment

• Celia,
                        I wasn't asking you for a bitter response, or one at all! I'm trying to ask questions to people who are mature enough to have a discussion here. If you can't contribute something to that intelligently and without malice, then leave it alone.

Congrats on your update... sincerely! But your daughter is not indicative of the results that ALL others are getting and I don't believe that the creation of a secondary 'ideopathic' curve is very encouraging. Nor do I believe that having "COMPLETE" faith in the Drs inconsequential responses to the formation of those curves is very wise! And yes, it is good considering where you started... but we have yet to see or know where you'll END!

When did I ask you to "trust me"??? Why do you insist on ruining every honest conversation that I'm a part of? Maybe it's about time someone reports you to the forum president because I'm sick and tired of your ignorant and degrading responses.

Comment

• Celia,

Using a quote from the President of this forum, Joe O'Brien:

NSF provides many different services, but for the past 28 years our primary mission has been the early detection and treatment of scoliosis. Our current focus and advocacy is targeted towards; Enhancing our knowledge about the cause and progression of scoliosis; improving the standards and methods of screening and measurement; and replacing the incredibly frustrating"wait and see" approach with effective early intervention treatments.

In order to achieve better patient care for our children and future generations we need to join together to seek, and demand, more definitive answers.
                          I haven't heard much more from you besides banking entirely on the spinecor brace alone (which hasn't worked for many people despite your personal success with it). So in keeping with the intentions of this forum, some of us would like to think and act more 'globally' on the issues at hand.

I would appreciate your understanding and respect for others not as fortunate as your daughter.

Comment

• Originally posted by cherylplinder
                            If I ever drive to Montreal again, I am going to drop in on you on my way through or make a detour and come see you!
                            Cheryl,

I just read through all the posts and I noticed this one I would *love* for you drop by but it's quite a detour to Montreal....maybe we could all meet up in Montreal when we're scheduled to be there?

Canadian eh

Comment

• Originally posted by MATJESNIC
                              But when they do take the x-ray without the brace, I remember Dr. Rivard saying that the child should be out of the brace for about a week.
                              I would agree with this and I'm sorry if I'm being repetiive I've probably told this story before. Because of some of the things we were trying, she had xrays within a month of each other and she had been wearing the Spinecor for about 5 months at that time. The first set, she had xrays taken immediately after removing the brace and they were still within a few degrees of in brace around T33/L43, then 1 month later, she was out of brace for a week and we went back for xrays, her curve that time was about T40/L50, out of the range of error. I'm convinced that her curve had been steadily progressing during those 5 months she was wearing it but wasn't apparent in brace. I think it takes a while for the spine to relax. I've been told (by a scoli. surgeon) that lumbar curves generally don't respond well to bracing, but I have seen some of you getting good results, so I guess the million dollar question is why it works for some but not others?

Comment

• Hi Sherie,
                                Haven't seen you post in a while! Good to hear from you. I am sorry to see in your signature that Sheena's curve has progressed significantly.
                                Are you still focusing primarily on physical therapy?
                                Hugs,
                                Cheryl

Celia,
                                I keep waiting for our visits to coincide. It seems that we were pretty close at one time. I can't figure out what happened. You would be worth the detour. I love to travel! I bet Rachel and Deidre would love each other. Does Deidre like animals?
                                Last edited by cherylplinder; 03-19-2007, 11:54 PM.
                                God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Working...
                                X