Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Celia Vogel
    Melissa,

Can someone enlighten me on the measurements Are they actually measuring rotation with the scoliometer or are they measuring the gibbosity/rib hump ?
    Pola,

I think you mentioned on one of the posts that you purchased some extra pieces, were they very expensive ?

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone

celia

Celia, I believe the scoliometer reads the rotation of the ribcage, therefore the hump on one side, but I could use more info on that if anyone knows more about it. In my daughters case, since she was fitted the spinecor her thoracic rotation went down from 14 to 10 and the lumbar rotation from 4 to 2.

About the extra pieces, I had the orthotist order an extra bolero for her and paid 75 euros (more or less the same US$ ?) I had already been given free extra crotch straps and the two bands that go under her armpits. (After I streched how smelly they get in a week of no washing.......think about it I told him, its' like sleeping, exercising, going out, going to school, running, etc all in the same bra! )

When is your daughters next appointment?,
    Pola

Comment

• height loss/gain

Pola, they do indeed lose some height w/their curved spines; my daughter after fusion surgery gained 1-1/2 inches after surgery! Had to take her out clothes shopping for her "new and improved" torso! p

Comment

• Hi Everyone,
        Happy New Year!
        Pola, it sounds as though our girls' curves are similar. I know that Nicole's main curve is in the thorasic-lumbar region. But my Doc said the same thing about curving both ways. Most importantly is that it is not curving toward any organ. A lot of the girls on SpineKids have had fusion and not all have gained inches. Some of the Parents and Kids have had discussions over there about that.
        Take care!
        Melissa
        Melissa
        From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
        Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Originally posted by pat
          Pola, they do indeed lose some height w/their curved spines; my daughter after fusion surgery gained 1-1/2 inches after surgery! Had to take her out clothes shopping for her "new and improved" torso! p

That makes sense after a successful fusion the spine streches out, but you got me confused now Pat, your daughter is wearing a Spinecor after surgery?
          Pola

Comment

• Spinecor

Pola,
            I believe that Pat is talking about her older daughter who had a different brace and then went on to have surgery. I am sorry for answering for you, Pat. My husband and children hate when I do that to them!!!lol!! Hopefully I have answered correctly. I have a pretty good memory. But it gets hard to keep all of you straight in my head. So correct me if I am wrong!! Pola, did Anastasia get the picture of Nicole? If not, then I have no idea what we are doing wrong. Dr. Deutchman gave us some new crotch straps (a gift). He said that probably in 3 months we will have to replace some bands.
            Melissa
            Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Hey Gang,

I just finished viewing Dr. Rivard's presentation at the 40th annual SRS meeting and one very interesting thing that he said was that a lateral x-ray is mandatory for the spinecor fitting....I was thinking back to Gerbo's post in which he stated that a lateral wasn't taken for Lisanna. Anyhoo... if anyone is interested, here is the presentation:

http://www.istreamplanet.com/srs/def...&conf=3&edi=12

Canadian eh
              Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Celia,
                thanks so much. I just kind of skimmed it, but will go back to it when I have more time. So exciting and encouraging. Not sure if Nicole ever got any lateral x-rays.
                don't think so.
                Melissa

Originally posted by Celia Vogel
                Hey Gang,

I just finished viewing Dr. Rivard's presentation at the 40th annual SRS meeting and one very interesting thing that he said was that a lateral x-ray is mandatory for the spinecor fitting....I was thinking back to Gerbo's post in which he stated that a lateral wasn't taken for Lisanna. Anyhoo... if anyone is interested, here is the presentation:

http://www.istreamplanet.com/srs/def...&conf=3&edi=12
                Melissa

Comment

• Melissa,

Geez....I forgot to mention that the results are AMAZING !!!!!

Canadian eh
                  Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Celia,
                    Did you read the one about Peak Height Velocity? I didn't understand what they were concluding? It was going so fast and I don't know how to stay on one frame for a period of time. Husband and kids are not here to help me, lol!! If you read it and understood it, could you please tell me your take on it. Thanks. I don't think any of the doctors did lateral x-rays. What does that entail? Dr. Deutchman is in close contact with the inventors in Canada, so why wouldn't he have done it? How is Deirdre doing?
                    Melissa

C
                    Originally posted by Celia Vogel
                    Melissa,

Geez....I forgot to mention that the results are AMAZING !!!!!
                    Melissa

Comment

• Yes Melissa's right Pola, I was talking about my oldest daughter (she's post-op and does not wear a brace now!) Sorry for the confusion!

Celia, I'm thrilled you posted Dr. Rivard's presentation, it is pretty impressive. I'll have to check it out, I've got the 42 page written copy, but the rest of the conference looked mighty interesting. Anyone's doctor speak at this conference? p

Comment

• Pat,
                        Where did you get the written copy? Dr. Betz is a real big doctor at Shriner's in Phila. I saw his name there, but I have never met him. Pat, how is your younger daughter doing with her Spinecor? I just spoke with the people at Special-Clothes and they said they shipped my bodysuits Priority Mail yesterday. Finally!!
                        Melissa
                        Melissa

Comment

• celia or pat, what about a short summary of conclusions/results/keypoints?? Unfortunately do not seem to be able to open presentation.

Happy new year to all

gerbo

Comment

• Melissa,

I just finished viewing the Peak Height Velocity (PHV) segment and I must say, it was incredibly interesting ! Here are my notes on the first study:

1) All children in the study were braced

2) PHV is defined as growth of more than 9 cm/year

3) Cessation of growth is defined as growth of less than 2cm/year.

4) PHV occurs pre-menarche and during risser 0

5) Menarche on average occurs 4.5 months after PHV

6) Risser 1 occurs 11 months on average after PHV

7) 30 degrees seems to be a threshold at PHV. If curve is greater than 30 degrees at PHV then one can assume that the child will progress to surgery. No curves that were less than 30 degrees at menarche progressed to surgery levels.

The second study on PHV dealt with identifying markers for PHV and there were a lot of different things to look at. What I got out of this discussion was if a child is going through breast development, one can safely assume that the child is in the middle of PHV.

celia

Canadian eh

Comment

• Gerbo,

I haven't heard from you in ages ! What do you mean you can't open the file

Pat,

Where did you get the study from ? Did Dr. Rivard mail it to you ? I wonder if it's available on the internet anywhere

Canadian eh

Comment

• Brain hurts

Celia,
                                My brain hurts!!!Bottom line, is Spinecor going to work for Nicole? That is the million dollar question. Are they saying they will definitely need surgery even with brace? What does Spinecor say about this? I wonder. I sent you a private message because of some of the personal things I wrote.
                                Melissa
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X