Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Celia Vogel
    Bonjour from la belle province,

Just a quickie update....Deirdre has grown 3 cm and is at "1" degree in the Spinecor brace Yippeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

big, big congratulary hug, you must feel so chilled (no pun intended) and relaxed now. Very happy for you!

Was going to post links on radiation free monitoring method, for info

http://www.springerlink.com/(r24lxiz...lts,1:101557,1

and

http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...rticle330.html

gerbo

Comment

• Celia,

I am extremely happy for you and Deirdre. God Bless!

Sally,

Most girls are done growing 2 years after they start their period. So your daughter may be done growing.

I'm not sure if I understood you to mean that you hope your daughter grows a lot more. I hope my daughter is almost done growing because with growth, there is chance of progression.

You can't make any decisions about whether to brace until you find out whether or not she has growth yet. You will have more answers when you meet with an orthopedic who specializes in scoli. Good luck to you.

Melissa
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• sjw

Melissa,
        I'm lost now. Should she grow or not? Will the spinecor brace work if she is done growning? We haven't seen an orthopedic doctor yet so should we not get the brace until we see one? Or is Dr.Deutchman the one we should see?
        Sally

Comment

Bonjour from la belle province,

Just a quickie update....Deirdre has grown 3 cm and is at "1" degree in the Spinecor brace Yippeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Bonjour mes amis!

Je suis si heureux pour vous! I am still heaving a big sigh of relief and a prayer of thanks. I don't think you will have anymore surprises for Deidre with scoliosis. I think she is virtually cured, although I guess if she needs to wear the brace for 10 years you might not quite call it that! Maybe 2 will do it, but you could stand 10 of this! Nonetheless, I don't think her curve will ever progress! If we make it to the next check up with no changes, I will feel the same way about Rachel.
          I feel like celebrating( and crying!) I think I'll go buy some champagne and toast your success. I wish I were there with you, but I am sending a extra big cyberhug to you both!

Cheryl
          God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Originally posted by sjw56
            Melissa,
            I'm lost now. Should she grow or not? Will the spinecor brace work if she is done growning? We haven't seen an orthopedic doctor yet so should we not get the brace until we see one? Or is Dr.Deutchman the one we should see?
            Sally
            Please do realise that "dr" Deutchman is not a "proper" medical or orthopaedic doctor, but a chiropracter, quite a different thing really. Clearly in the USA anybody can call themselve a docoer, which can be a bit confusing for the patients.

The perceived wisdom is that scoliosis mainly gets worse during growth and bracing only slows this down, or holds it (or improves it if you are lucky) if used during growth. So in a 18 year old you surely would not brace, unless for relief of symptoms, whilst a 10 year old, with lots of growth left, would benefit from bracing.

At 14, and possible nearly finished growing, you will not expect an awful lot of benefit, if at all. Saying that, if it was my daughter, i'd still try the spinecor to see if with the improved postural control it provides some improvement, a small improvement could just keep her away from surgery.
            (although even surgery isn't the big disaster you currently might imagine it to be, most people get excellent resutls with a greatly improved quality of life)

gerbo

Comment

• Sally,

You must see an orthopedic doctor to get all of your facts. Don't worry about the next step until you have your answers.

Dr. Deutchman is a chiro. who specializes in scoli and is very involved with Spinecor. He would be your brace doctor if you went to him.

After you get some answers from your orthopedic, if you still have questions as to whether Spinecor could work for your daughter, a phone call or visit to Dr. Rivard in Montreal would be my suggestion.

Good luck

Melissa
              Melissa
              From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
              Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Thank you Gerbo, Melissa for the well wishes ! I wish I could bottle what we've achieved with Deirdre and send it out to everyone Cheryl, your post made me cry. I'm very emotional right now....

Originally posted by cherylplinder
                Bonjour mes amis!

Je suis si heureux pour vous! I am still heaving a big sigh of relief and a prayer of thanks. I don't think you will have anymore surprises for Deidre with scoliosis. I think she is virtually cured, although I guess if she needs to wear the brace for 10 years you might not quite call it that! Maybe 2 will do it, but you could stand 10 of this! Nonetheless, I don't think her curve will ever progress! If we make it to the next check up with no changes, I will feel the same way about Rachel.
                I feel like celebrating( and crying!) I think I'll go buy some champagne and toast your success. I wish I were there with you, but I am sending a extra big cyberhug to you both!

Cheryl

Canadian eh
                Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Celia, I was looking forward to hearing how your appointment went; so glad to hear everything's continuing to go so well!! We're scheduled to go back up this summer, July or August. Pat

Comment

• Thanks Pat Maybe one of these days we'll bump into each other.... I'm so glad your little girl is doing as well as Deirdre - they're both at "1" !!!!YAY !!!

Canadian eh
                    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• The SpineCor brace finally made it to Australia.....it is being offered in Melbourne.......just a bit of random information for you all for the day

Regards

Alison

Comment

• Well that's good news ! I went to the Spinecorporation website and it's not listed I know they also offer the Spinecor through Children's Hospital in Boston and it's not listed either.

Canadian eh

Comment

• I don't think they offer it at Boston Children's; I spoke with ortho up there, Dr. John Emans, a few months ago, and he said no, they don't use it. Unless something's changed recently; that would be great.

Comment

• Ahhhh....so this must be an old link:

http://orthodoc.aaos.org/JohnEmansMD/

Canadian eh

Comment

Ahhhh....so this must be an old link:

http://orthodoc.aaos.org/JohnEmansMD/
                              when i wrote to him 1 year ago (amazing who you start writing to), he said that as they couldn't get the spare parts, they stopped using it. I think this kind of stemmed from the time that the canadian based firm handed over ownership to the spinecorporation in the UK

Obviously, as the home of the boston brace, they will gibve that one preference anyway i would have thought

gerbo

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo

Obviously, as the home of the boston brace, they will gibve that one preference anyway i would have thought

gerbo
                                I couldn't agree more. pat

Comment

Working...
                                X