No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obviously, there are success stories on our forum too. Celia and Deidre, Pat and her daughter(Pat had a daughter braced conventionally that progressed to fusion and began early intervention when her other daughter was diagnosed. I can't remember her beginning measurements, but she was either in the teens or 20's degree wise and is now around 6 or 7 degrees and has been for a while.), Desheah and Luke, all are having wonderful results. Sarah, I have been thrilled with your results with Madison. Jill, I think you are having amazing results.
    None of the kids that progressed ever had readings as low as the success stories I mentioned above. That makes me hopeful for you.

Some of our progression stories run about the same, with curves initially correcting in the first year to the high teens to 20's and then progressing in the second year, if I remember correctly. I don't remember all the ages, but you could look back. I think most were already near 30 or over when they started.

Rachel started Spinecor at 10 and progressed from 11 to 12.

The Cheneau is visible under Rachel's clothes, but she doesn't mind.

The first year, I did consider the Spinecor a miracle brace. Really, 5 to 6 inches of growth with no progression was a dadgum good accomplishment.
    I just wish I had switched strategies when she began to progress.
    Last edited by cherylplinder; 01-16-2008, 03:26 PM.
    God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Hi,Gerbo, I'm so sorry to hear that Lisanna has progressed. I know how you feel.

Hi,cherly,
      Thank you for keeping posting.
      We had a x-ray follow up with the surgeon, it showed T42/L28 in Spincor, we all shocked. I'm still hoping that was some kind of error, do you think it is possible from T28/L27 out brace (in Montreal) jump up to T42/L28 in brace within one month? if that is not a case than the machine in Montrael and here are different. I'm so disappointed, upset and guilt.The surgeon is not support Spincor at the beginning, Jennifer is in Boston brace, we are dealing with rash now,does anyone have experience with rash in hard brace?

Elaine
      Mother to Jennifer, 11 yrs. Initial curve T38L20 07/30/07
      T31L20 09/24/07 out brace (Boston brace)
      T21L18 09/24/07 in brace (Spinecor)
      T34L28 10/26/07 in brace
      T28L27 11/22/07 out brace
      T23L25 11/22/07 in brace

Comment

• Originally posted by qiling
        we are dealing with rash now,does anyone have experience with rash in hard brace?

Elaine
        Hi,
        Just to answer that when i got my third brace with no holes in it, i got a big itchy rash on my stomach.
        i can't remember what i put on it it was either aloe vera or calamine lotion.

Hope thats helpful,
        Tayla
        HI! I'm Tayla
        I Wore A Boston Brace For 5Years!
        It Was Taken Off May 10.
        But... After a Review in Nov 10 My Back had got badd!!
        Im Now On The Waiting List For Surgery To Get The Bottom Curve Fused.
        pre surgery:
        51 at the top.
        49 at the bottom

<3 Tayy
        S COLIOSIS
        Makes Us Stronger... <3

Comment

• Hi BraceGal,
          Thank you for the information,we have it drilled 21 ventilation holes ,order 10 of the Bonston t shirts,used draft laundry soap and corn star baby power. hoping that could help.

Elaine
          T34L28 10/26/07 in brace
          T23L25 11/22/07 in brace

Comment

• what r the boston tshirts??
            I use plain bonds singlets
            and tryed some tubey stuff
            ive never heard of boston tshirts.
            the other stuff sounds good ive had holes put it my brace scince then. I evengot my name!

Tayla
            HI! I'm Tayla
            It Was Taken Off May 10.
            pre surgery:
            51 at the top.
            49 at the bottom

<3 Tayy
            S COLIOSIS
            Makes Us Stronger... <3

Comment

• Hi Tayla,

The boston t-shirt is a tank top-ish body sock , it will stretch more than 150% to assure a wrinkle-free form fit under your brace.it is a cushioning and wicking perspiration away from your skin. made by coolmax/lycra with antibacterial fiber .you can order it from your brace man.

Elaine
              Last edited by qiling; 01-24-2008, 10:55 AM.
              T34L28 10/26/07 in brace
              T23L25 11/22/07 in brace

Comment

• Hi Everyone
                I'm new to this forum - lots of really great info! I've read through all the SpineCor posts and was wondering if there are any signs to look for when children start to progress with this brace - ie back pain, brace doesn't fit properly, etc.

My daughter was diagnosed at 6 with an 18T curve. Our orthopedic recommended watching and waiting, telling us that bracing and exercise was not the least bit effective. By the time she was 9 her curves had progressed to 34T,18L. At that point she was put in a Boston brace to try to slow things down and put off surgery for a few years. Luckily, after several months in the Boston Brace, we stumbled across SpineCor and a new doctor (still kicking ourselves for not doing it sooner). After 7 months with SpineCor she's back down to 16T. I was really surprised how much more energy and coordination she has after switching and doing all the associated exercises. Hopefully things will be stable for a while.

HaleyMom
                Mom to Haley, 13.5 yrs old
                Diagnosed at 6 yrs old - 18T.
                Boston Brace at 9.5 yrs old - 34T/18L
                Switched to SpineCor at 10 yrs old
                Stable at ~22T OBX until 12.5 yrs old
                Adolescent growth spurt was brutal - scheduled for surgery Dec 7th.

Comment

• HaleyMom:

So glad to hear your daughter's curves were reduced by the Spinecor brace.

Ruth
                  Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

• Heyy,
                    the boston shirts sond pretty good ill have to ask!
                    HI! I'm Tayla
                    It Was Taken Off May 10.
                    pre surgery:
                    51 at the top.
                    49 at the bottom

<3 Tayy
                    S COLIOSIS
                    Makes Us Stronger... <3

Comment

• Hi all. Just thought I'd say hello and wish everyone well. Immy is still doing fine. She has grown a bit and is complaining of a little pain in her right side. We have an appointment on March 14th but I don't know whether to go sooner....

xx
                      UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
                      10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
                      Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Esme is having the same problem - the pain is in her right hip. We were scheduled to go to Montreal on Monday to see Dr. Rivard and Colliard but their office called today to reschedule because Monday is a holiday for the hospital workers at Ste. Justine for Valentine's Day! We are rescheduled for mid-March but I don't know if we can wait that long since the brace is hurting Esme's hip a lot and she hasn't worn it much the last couple of weeks. Esme was very upset when we told her the appointment had been rescheduled because she was really hoping the doctors would have a solution for the pain.

I am going to call (or email) Dr. Rivard and Dr. Colliard with her latest measurements since she has grown a lot all over and gained weight since her period started Dec. 31st. Hopefully they will have some suggestions.

Ruth
                        Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

• Well, if things are not well, it is better to find out sooner rather than later. Rachel grew a lot in August and September. I think she was fine then. Her growth patterns were great (I marked her every day.) She was gaining in height and probably not progressing. When her 4 strap got too tight, I called and they said to come sooner if I was concerned. She had only grown a couple of cm and I thought(That's really not that much, she'll be OK) Dr. Coillard said her lumbar couldn't become structural, which was what I was most concerned about with the 4 strap so tight. I decided to leave things as they were. I think it was a big mistake.

You are not facing the same set of circumstances, but I have found that if I feel I need to go sooner, I do. In 2006, I went almost every 3 to 4 months. She did fine. I just called and said I thought we needed to come. I delayed in 2007 with disastrous consequences.

Who can say it is because I delayed? No one. But I can't help but know that if the tight strap contributed to the progression, going would have helped. If progression was what was occuring, I could have changed strategies sooner. If you think you need to go, push for it. It is OK. You won't regret taking a precaution and you could regret the delay.

Just my opinion from my experiences. I wish you all the best!

I also recommend getting your x-rays read from more than one source. Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard measure from the same vertebrae every time. Most orthos measure the worst angles they can find in the curve. It puts them on a different plane than the other orthos. They are not being deceptive. Dr. Rivard told me their system himself, but I have had 2 other orthos tell me their system of measurement, and it is different.

I still do not regret the Spinecor, just delaying when Rachel started to progress.

Hugs!

Cheryl
                          Last edited by cherylplinder; 02-08-2008, 10:17 PM.
                          God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• I emailed Dr. Coillard last night and she wrote back today asking for our phone number. It was on the bottom of the email below our signatures but I guess she didn't see it. She said she would call back quickly .... maybe we will hear from her tomorrow. I am not comfortable waiting until mid-March so hopefully the doctors will offer us an earlier appointment.

Ruth

Comment

• That's good to hear, Ruth. I am glad you forged ahead.

William was just diagnosed with scoliosis last week. His curves are not large, but I don't know what I am going to do yet. We haven't had an ortho visit, so I don't know the degree.

I am certain he has some lower extremity discrepancy. His hips are too uneven for the degree of curvature. He either has some leg length discrepancy going on or an asymtomatic subluxation of the femur. I''l know soon.

Rachel likes her Cheneau even better than her Spinecor. It was an adjustment, but so was the Spinecor. She is very comfortable.

We met with Dr. Timothy Kuklo of Shriners in St. Louis. I liked him a lot. He was empathetic and supportive of my desire to avoid surgery. We have another appointment in July.

Hugs to all!

Cheryl

Comment

• Cheryl, Ruth
                                How often do people typically get their SpineCor brace adjusted? We were told we'd need it adjusted every 3 months for the next few years.
                                Mom to Haley, 13.5 yrs old
                                Diagnosed at 6 yrs old - 18T.
                                Boston Brace at 9.5 yrs old - 34T/18L
                                Switched to SpineCor at 10 yrs old
                                Stable at ~22T OBX until 12.5 yrs old
                                Adolescent growth spurt was brutal - scheduled for surgery Dec 7th.

Comment

Working...
                                X