No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just so that there isn't any confusion.. spinecor's software is just for recording findings and calculating what type of scoliosis one has..
    even if x-ray was done digitally, it has to be measured on the computer that it was stored in and the number has to be transferred to spinecor system.

as for x-ray measurement discrepency, when you have 10 or 20 degree's most likely they measured it on different vertebra...that's the problem when you have multiple people read the x-ray...it's a subjective thing and one needs to find the level most slanted during cobb angle measurement and it can be different from person to person...

Digital doesn't necessarily increase the accuracy either...the size of the dots they use during mensuration are kinda too big...some ppl decide to center the dot on the edge of the endplate, some just inside, some just outside..you get the gist.... if one's doing pencil mensuration, even sharpness of the pencil can give a bit of discrepency..

the time lapsed x-rays are also problematic because there's absolutely no way of doing idential shots...even though one stands in exact same place with exact same posture, the placement of the tube can be a bit off from last and patient may feel a bit mroe fatigued and could slump a bit more..etc...

x-ray is 2-D shadow of 3-d object...any discrepency above will give different outcome...

I guess only accurate way of doing this would be 3-d computer tomography of the x-ray and measuring it with software without human factors involved...which I don't even know if exists or even if it does, the cost will be too prohibitive..

Having said that, having x-ray taken from same machine from same person who uses same standards doing mensuration on every film would give reasonably reliable measurements....the key word being reasonable..
    An important scientific innovation rarely makes its way by gradually winning over and converting its opponents: it rarely happens that Saul becomes Paul. What does happen is that its opponents gradually die out, and that the growing generation is familiarised with the ideas from the beginning.

Max Planck (the founder of Quantum Physics)

Comment

• cheers, thanks for additional info

gerbo

Comment

• Originally posted by sportsdoc
        I guess only accurate way of doing this would be 3-d computer tomography of the x-ray and measuring it with software without human factors involved...which I don't even know if exists or even if it does, the cost will be too prohibitive..

Having said that, having x-ray taken from same machine from same person who uses same standards doing mensuration on every film would give reasonably reliable measurements....the key word being reasonable..
        Wouldn't an MRI do just that and give an accurate reading? My daughter had one but the report didn't give numbers.

It's true that all our x-rays were taken on 3 different machines, different people and different countries!!!
        Pola

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo

What would I do in your situation? That large variety i measurements seems so odd. I assume that the 50 degree is without any brace? Was that done in cyprus, with the x-rays digitally send over to the USA.?? How can one person read it at 25-30 and somebody else at 50 degree?? I find that so hard to believe. Will you get new xrays done in Greece? Or are you taking the new ones over to be looked at by your greec orthopaedic surgeon?

gerbo
          Yes those results left me and my husband wondering ...the latest x-rays were taken in Cyprus and sent to the US by this special x-ray/fax machine which the Shriners provided the local center with. Dr. Masso just held them up and said to me on camera: What I see here is a curve of 50 degrees and only getting worse. I was left speechless, so asking him whether that was the one in or out of brace did not occur to me. I will ofcourse take everything with me MRI too to Greece and see what the spinecor docs say. I believe we were due for new ones anyway.
          Thanks again Gerbo for all the right words you always have.... The picture you painted of the future is good. The road there difficult and frustrating...just keeping my head up,
          Pola

Comment

• Thanks Sportsdoc ! It's so nice to have a doc in the house

Canadian eh
            Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Hello! Thanks for all your encouragement/well wishes! She was a 21/17 when put in her brace November 1st, brought curve down to a 7 (in brace), one month check-up down to a zero, and one week shy of five months, her curve was a 1. Remember she was braced very early with such low #'s, because her sister wore the hard brace faithfully and is now 15 month post-op, which was a very successful surgery. pat

Comment

• Pat,

Remember Deirdre's 5 week followup was the same day as your husband and daughter ? I think it was Dec 8, if I'm not mistaken Anyway....it's not a big deal, it's just that our five month followup isn't due for another month and I'm actually thinking of having it rescheduled for early July !! Wait a minute.....do they count the 5 month followup from the original fitting ????? As you can see, I'm getting a little worried here

I'm soooo glad things are working out well for your little girl
                Last edited by Celia; 04-04-2006, 06:15 PM.

Canadian eh
                Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Pat,
                  I am thrilled that your daughter is doing so well. in her Spinecor. I'm also glad to see there is a "light at the end of the tunnel" for those who have the surgery. Your older daughter is also doing well. That's wonderful news. Did you ever look into the bone-on-bone surgery performed by Robert W. Gaines in Columbia, Missouri. It sounds great. But why hasn't it caught on?

Melissa
                  Melissa
                  From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                  Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• I think there are followups this week and next ? Gerbo this week and Cheryl next week ? Keeping fingers and toes crossed for good results and good news !!!!

hugs,

celia

Canadian eh

Comment

• What is bone-on-bone surgery?
                      I couldn't get it on google.
                      God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Originally posted by Celia Vogel
                        I think there are followups this week and next ? Gerbo this week and Cheryl next week ? Keeping fingers and toes crossed for good results and good news !!!!

hugs,

celia
                        two weeks from today....... (mixed feelings)

Comment

• I just wanted to second what Gerbo said a few posts ago.

Gerbo said "Whatever Pola, in a few years time, you'll be sitting on your patio, between your whitewashed walls, in the sun, looking back on this time in your life as being absolute hell, but then looking at your daughter, having had surgery or not, being absolutely happy with who and what she is, not having any restrictions (and no nasty brace to wear) and you'll be asking yourself; why did i ever get so worked up. Things will be ok in the end, whatever path you'll have to take."

We are looking at a check-up next week for our daughter who is an on again off again 15 1/2 year old Spinecor wearer. When she wears the brace a 10- degee correction, when she doesn't curves go back to the high 30's and low 40's. She puts so much energy into fooling us and herself at times its almost comical. But then the reality of the situation rears its ugly head. But I really like what Gerbo said because in the past 3 years we've been where Pola is and the prospect of surgery is so frightening. If Anna's x-rays next week don't show curve reduction, we'll be looking at applying to Shriner's for a surgical evaluation. However, at least we have the surgical option for which I'm thankful because we know our kids will get treatment.

We are excited though because her local chiro who's been treating her for the past 3 years is bringing Spinecor to his office so Andrew Wells (the head of Spinecor) will be coming here to finish the training and brace 3 patients. Anna will get to see Andrew for her follow-up visit so if there's any tweaking of the brace to be done, questions about strap stretching, etc. we'll be able to ask him.

This forum is a great place for encouragement and info - thanks to all of you.
                          We will all get through this with a little help from our friends.

Comment

• Originally posted by LATigner
                            We are excited though because her local chiro who's been treating her for the past 3 years is bringing Spinecor to his office so Andrew Wells (the head of Spinecor) will be coming here to finish the training and brace 3 patients. Anna will get to see Andrew for her follow-up visit so if there's any tweaking of the brace to be done, questions about strap stretching, etc. we'll be able to ask him.

Is that the same Mr. Mills that Gerbo sees in England ? On another note, our followup is next month - July was not possible.

Canadian eh

Comment

• yeah, it will be Andrew Mills, the orthotist who heads Spinecor,, he's travelling to the states all the time trying to ensure that all these chiropracters are using the spinecor properly

Comment

• Melissa,
                                please empty your private messages box, it will not accept the one I am sending you ......Pola

Comment

Working...
                                X