Clear All

• i did use one..
    Virtual Pets |
    Games |
    Create a Virtual Pet

Comment

• Originally posted by marapets
      i did use one..
      well, am I glad that after a record 657 rplies, somebody goes back to the original question.

how did youget on with it, why didyou stop, did it help, what kind of curves did you have???

gerbo

Comment

• Karen,
        I would do exactly as you are doing. I think you will find Dr. Sanders to be very supportive, also. I only met with him for a little while, but he did not discourage me from using Spinecor with Rachel. She is 10 with a large curve and a lot of growing to do, also. He said statistically, that nothing would keep her out of surgery, but in the 4 months she has been in the brace, she has grown several centimeters and her curve has not increased yet.
        Keep your chin up!
        Hugs,
        Cheryl
        God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Hi Karen,

Each hospital may be different, but in our case...we could have been fitted with the Spinecor brace the very first time we met with Dr. Rivard. I was undecided at the time - a lot of soul-searching involved and basically driving all my friends nuts Two months later we returned for the fitting. The day of the fitting involved taking lateral, P/A and prone x-rays. After being fitted with the spinecor brace, we had one additional x-ray to see what kind of correction we got. That's basically it!

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Celia,

I was not saying that you should necessarily go to Sears. Probably most stores like Best Buy or Circuit City sell a 7-inch for about a hundred.

Karen,

I can only tell you what we experienced. I don't know if you will have the same experience.

The appointment could be a couple of hours long. They may or may not take an out-of-brace x-ray. They will put the brace on her and take an in-brace x-ray. They will spend a lot of time making sure you all know how to put the brace back on.

Our doctor has many drawers containing the bands of varying lengths. Everything should be right there available for them.

We brought a pair of shorts and a sports bra (you can probably use her bathing suit top). This way she will be comfortable when they are looking at her spine. Bring a big hair clip to sweep up her hair during the exam.

They will probably offer you bodysuits for purchase. Some of our daughters swear by them. Nicole now has 10 and wears them every day with nothing underneath.

We brought snacks with us and we were very glad we did.

Melissa
            Melissa
            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Karen,

We Parents have had many (too many) discussions about bodysuits on this forum. The bottom line is that my daughter only likes the Spinecor ones. Some kids like other ones that you can get on-line. Yes, they all have to have crotch snaps. So you will see what your daughter prefers. But if she isn't wearing anything underneath, you will need a lot of them. I am forever washing them and hanging them to dry.

Good luck. Let us know how everything goes.

Safe trip.

Melissa
              Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Karen,
                I was remiss that I did not also say that the first case study on Spinecor website is a 9 1/2 year old girl with a 36 degree curve that improved to 2 degrees. There is one case that beat the odds! It all gives me hope. Dr. Rivard was encouraging when he fit Rachel.
                Oh yeah! I wanted to clarify that we did not go to Erie for our first appointment. I did not even know about Shriners. I made that appointment with Dr. Sanders get his input on Rachel. I knew at that point that they were at least Spinecor friendly.
                If you have a digital camera(I suspect that you do. ),take pictures of her in the brace so you will have something to refer to the first couple of weeks. They did that for us in Montreal, and I referred to them more than once.
                Hugs,
                Cheryl
                God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Spinecor at Shriners in Erie PA

Originally posted by karickter
                  Hi everyone whew! havent been around for a while. So busy working on our debut CD (smiles) I sing my husband plays guitar - you can check us out at www.myspace.com/karickter - well I have our appointment all set with Shriners in Erie for Monday 22nd! we are driving there on Sunday (our appt is at 9am - I understand it is a 6 or 7 hour drive for us - keep us in your prayers and thanks for all the support!!
                  I had to call them back a week later, but had no problems scheduling. Luckily I got their last available day in June and it was on my day off from work.
                  I got an appointment for June 15th and get the Drs. opinion and for our 3 month appointment. The orthotist will be there. We will fly to Cleveland on American Airlines and drive 2 hours, but am considering trying to fly from Cleveland on United Airlines to Erie, PA if I can. I went through Erie directly.
                  Shirley
                  Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

• Great listening!

Originally posted by karickter
                    Hi everyone whew! havent been around for a while. So busy working on our debut CD (smiles) I sing my husband plays guitar - you can check us out at www.myspace.com/karickter - keep us in your prayers and thanks for all the support!!
                    Your music is very inspirational and beautiful! You are very talented and I loved listening to all of your songs. Your picture was beautiful too!
                    Shirley
                    Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

• sjw

I have just found out my daughter has scoliosis and a 45 degree curve. I'm looking at spinecor. does anyone else out there have a daughter with a curvature close to that so that they can tell me anything. She is just turning 14.

Comment

• Do you know what your daughter's risser is? I believe that is a fairly important question.

Melissa
                        Melissa

Comment

• sjw

What is a risser? I don't really know a whole lot about scoliosis. Only what I have read on the web. We have only had one x ray taken at the hospital. We haven't even been able to get into a othopedic doctor yet. Her appointment is a month away.

Comment

• A risser will tell you how much growing she has left. They can see this on her x-ray or sometimes they will take an x-ray of her hand. My daughter is 12 and has a risser of 0. When she gets to 5 she is all done growing.

However, once a girl gets her period for the first time, there is likely to be 2 years left of growth. In some cases that could mean a lot of growth. But my older daughter who is 15 only grew 2 more inches in that time frame. I am hoping that will be the case with my 12-year old. She is almost 5'4" and just started her period 2 months ago.

Hope that helped

Melissa
                            Melissa

Comment

• sjw

Thank you Melissa. She has been on her period for almost 2 years all ready and is 5' 31/2". She has been told that she should reach 5'6'" or 5'7". If what you say is true hopefully she will get that tall. She had a physical 2 years ago and nothing was noticable. I wish we would have seen this sooner. I thought that I 'd try the spinecore brace as I will do anything before I do surgery. That is a last resort!
                              Sally

Comment

• Bonjour from la belle province,

Just a quickie update....Deirdre has grown 3 cm and is at "1" degree in the Spinecor brace Yippeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Canadian eh
                                Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Working...
                                X