No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, Nancy--We'll look at that option. I'm so grateful to have this forum--what would we do without it?

Mary Ellen
    Last edited by WNCmom; 11-05-2007, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• Mary Ellen
      Jennifer also had #4 strap unsnapped problem, I called Dr. Deuthmen, he told me to lose the straps a little bit, but will the effect be the same? I used two safety pines instead.

Elaine
      Last edited by qiling; 11-05-2007, 02:30 PM.
      Mother to Jennifer, 11 yrs. Initial curve T38L20 07/30/07
      T31L20 09/24/07 out brace (Boston brace)
      T21L18 09/24/07 in brace (Spinecor)
      T34L28 10/26/07 in brace
      T28L27 11/22/07 out brace
      T23L25 11/22/07 in brace

Comment

• Nancy, when the doctor said you could use the next nearest snap hole is that because when there are snapping problems its with the base snap as opposed to the snap on the band? It would seem to me that it would be hard to switch a snap that's in the plastic (or whatever it is) pelvic girdle?

Katie's crotch snaps have occasionally come undone in bed at night so far, but not the others (yet). Of course she's only been wearing the brace 3 weeks....
        daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
        -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
        -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
        -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• I had a local shoesmith change a snap for us. Worked like a charm and easy to do.
          from CT, USA
          6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
          8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
          10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
          10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
          10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
          4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
          8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
          2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
          3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Jill,

I am not sure if the problem tends to be with the snap on the band more often than the one on the base, but I just know that Dr. Colliard said to simply move it to the next closest snap on the base. I felt that this worked because it was not as worn as the other one was. My daughter still uses the first snap alot of the time, and then she might switch it to the the one that Dr. Colliard said she could use if it pops open.

We also just had to go to the shoe repairman to get a snap fixed (the one that usually pops open) today. It broke yesterday. I tied it together with some string until we could get to the shop, as I read that someone else on this forum did. So, yes, we do help eachother out alot. And, thanks to everyone for that.

Well, the shoe repairman replaced the snap on the band, and it worked out great.

Nancy.

Comment

• This is just my experience but I found using the snap next to the faulty one created a very slight shift in posture for Deirdre. I had the faulty snaps repaired at the local shoe repair store as soon as I could.

Canadian eh
              Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Thank you to all of you for your helpful comments about Esme's pain in her Spinecor brace. Dr. Colliard called the next morning after I emailed (amazing response time!!). She said it was okay to move the straps a little to make the brace more comfortable. We did this and while Esme is still sometimes finding it uncomforable the pain seems to be gone for the most part. It was really holding her tight on her right side.

She is going to bed and school okay in the brace but when she gets home from school she is taking it off and we are having a hard time getting her back into it. I can't say she loves it much really which is disappointing because we thought she would be okay with it especially after the hard braces.

Thanks again. Ruth
                Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

• Oh that's great Ruth! I'm glad everything is okay. I read about your experience with the SI and the part of Esme laughing with a sheer exuberance that you haven't seen since the ortho last told her she needed surgery.

Has anyone heard from Cheryl? I know she was due for a followup in October. Wasn't Deshea there as well?

Canadian eh
                  Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• celia,

still here. our appt. is next monday. i'll probably report back on tues am since we're driving directly from montreal home. keeping my fingers crossed!

deshea
                    mom to lucas 6 1/2 yrs old with infantile scoliosis diagnosed at 18 mos 68o/45o;
                    spinal detethering due to a tight/fatty filum at 22 mos;
                    tlso and charleston brace from 18 mos to 2 1/2 yrs old at children's boston, ma;
                    serial plaster casting from 2 1/2 until 4 1/2 at shriners in erie, pa;
                    now in a spinecor brace at 21o/19o from montreal. next appt. sept 2008
                    and ruby (3 1/2 yrs old and a handful!)
                    north of boston, ma

Comment

• For those wondering about Spinecor and insurance--we just found out that our insurer, Assurant Health, processed the brace fitter (a chiropractor in Atlanta) as in-network and covered all but $584 of the $3800 total. When I say "covered," I mean applied to the deductable. We are self-employed and are able to afford insurance only by buying a very high deducable plan. So we still paid out of pocket, but I am encouraged by the insurance company's response.

Comment

• I guess I should start to figure out where and who our local shoe repair shops are! This whole experience (not just spinecor but scoli in general, also) would be even more daunting if not for all the info I get from all of you!

Deshea, Lucas' follow up is on 11/12? We are going to be there that day for Katie's first (one month) follow up. Maybe we'll see you there! Our appointment is somewhere around 12:30 or 12:45 (i don't remember the exact time off hand)
                        -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                        -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                        -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• we'll definitely see each other. our appt. is at 1p. our whole family will be there so i'm sure you'll recognize us -- lucas and ruby tend to attract attention in the small office because of their age. usually adolescent girls are there. i don't think we've ever met up with another family from this thread. that will be a nice change.

deshea
                          mom to lucas 6 1/2 yrs old with infantile scoliosis diagnosed at 18 mos 68o/45o;
                          spinal detethering due to a tight/fatty filum at 22 mos;
                          tlso and charleston brace from 18 mos to 2 1/2 yrs old at children's boston, ma;
                          serial plaster casting from 2 1/2 until 4 1/2 at shriners in erie, pa;
                          now in a spinecor brace at 21o/19o from montreal. next appt. sept 2008
                          and ruby (3 1/2 yrs old and a handful!)
                          north of boston, ma

Comment

• You'd probably recognize us too as Katie is also young (7 yrs) - just look for a family with a 7 year old and a 5 year old brother who in all liklihood will either have his head buried in game boy or will be asking every 30 seconds how many more minutes we have to wait! Oh, and look for an uptight nervous looking mom

Comment

• ruth,
                              I'm so happy to hear Esme is doing fine and Dr.Collard called back immediately. Jennifer having an appointment with Dr.Rivard at Nov.28. 1:00p.m.in Montreal, I hope we see you there. Thank you for Malissa. we started Spinecor with Dr.Deuthmen, now we are going for Dr.Rivard.
                              Elaine
                              Last edited by qiling; 11-07-2007, 03:29 PM.
                              Mother to Jennifer, 11 yrs. Initial curve T38L20 07/30/07
                              T31L20 09/24/07 out brace (Boston brace)
                              T21L18 09/24/07 in brace (Spinecor)
                              T34L28 10/26/07 in brace
                              T28L27 11/22/07 out brace
                              T23L25 11/22/07 in brace

Comment

• Elaine:
                                Our appointment is at 2 p.m. so maybe we will see you...that would be pretty neat to actually meet someone from the forum! We will be in the basement where they do the fitting for the brace. When we saw Dr. Rivard it was on the first floor.
                                There is a good cafeteria in the basement at the hospital in case you want a snack.
                                Ruth
                                Last edited by rtremb; 11-08-2007, 12:01 PM.
                                Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Working...
                                X