spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Cheryl

I firmly believe that the path of scoliosis will take you where it wants despite what we do. It is something that we must try to fight but in the end, it will do what it is destine to do. I can only hope that in my daughters case, we will beat it. If we do not we will at least know that we gave a good fight!!!

One of the problems most parents need to fight is the "wait & watch " theory. We as scoliosis fighters must get out to others do not wait!! Start fighting right away, at the 1st sign of trouble. That is the only way to at least try to beat it!! Early detection and early bracing no matter which type of brace you choose.

I wish you well
    from CT, USA
    6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
    8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
    10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
    10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
    10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
    4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
    8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
    2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
    3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Christine:
      Great news. You must be thrilled.
      Esme goes for Rolfing again tomorrow.
      Still haven't connected with Dr. Coillard.
      Ruth
      Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

• Ruth, I'm sorry to hear you haven't connected with Dr. Colliard yet - the wait must be frustrating. Hopefully you'll get some good answers soon - didn't somebody say that there was a canadian holiday this week (or some portion of this week)? Good luck with the Rolfing tomorrow!

Christine, same happens to katie. Especially after she goes to the bathroom she forgets to make sure the shoelace is tucked in her pants also. We call it her tail. (in public I can mouth the word "tail" and she'll laugh and know she has to tuck it in without others picking up on it) So did burning the ends of the shoelace keep it from fraying? If so, I'm cutting of some lace also. I agree by the time she needs to let it all out she probably would need a new one...things are already starting to wear out a bit and its only been 4 months! (i assume that some parts can be replaced piecemeal, but at some point they just start over? I'm realizing between snap replacement and the likely need to replace velcro very soon and I'm guessing repeatedly that this is going to be like an annuity expenditure
        daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
        -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
        -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
        -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• Jill and Cristine,

Emily used to have that problem of the shoelaces hanging out over her pants. It didn't bother her, but it drove me crazy. So I just put a safety pin on them, connecting them to the rest of the shoelace part. They never came out again!
          Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
          28 degree scoliosis 9/04
          Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
          17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
          Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
          3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
          11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

• Christine,

I am so happy for your family. I wish you continued success.
            Melissa
            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Great news Christine!!!

Re Shoelaces; Mr Mills (Spinecor expert in UK) cut Immy's straps himself & burnt the ends with a lighter. (she wasn't wearing it at the time ). He cut them fairly short (about 3 inches) so I'm assuming he's not worried about them having to last a long while. The gap between the two plastic bits is about 2 1/2 inches.

Immy has not been prescribed any exercises but she is a dancer & gymnast & is always stretching!

I'm not expecting Spinecor to hold Immy's curve and avoid surgery as we didn't catch it early enough. I'm really hopeful for those of you with younger children who caught the curve early.

xx
              UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
              10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
              Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Mail box full

Hey Ruth!

Tried to send you a thank you but your mail box is full!

So I'll say thank you here instead.

Laura
                UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
                10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
                Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• We are so thankful for all the support

I just wanted to update everyone that Amanda is doing great after 6 months pos op and is cleared to do anything mom and dad allow. She is slowly getting back into swimming, but needs to build endurance. She is really tired after 30 minutes of light laps, but is doing fine. Thanks for everything. Shirley
                  Shirley
                  Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

• Shirley,

That is awesome news!!!!! I am so happy for Amanda. I hope she enjoys her new freedom.
                    Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Originally posted by MATJESNIC
                      Shirley,

That is awesome news!!!!! I am so happy for Amanda. I hope she enjoys her new freedom.
                      Thanks for the quick reply! How is Nicole? and yourself? Great I hope! Unfortunately she is already talking about Six Flags rollercoasters at Spring Break in a few weeks. The doctor said she can bungi jump or whatever we her parents give her permission to do. Hopefully we will be out of town, and hope we can deter that a while longer.
                      Shirley
                      Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Comment

• Shirley,

When you said she could go back to activities, I didn't know you meant everything such as roller coasters. I know many doctors don't let the kids do them until one year.

Nicole is counting down the days to her appt. We have a little over two weeks to go. Nicole can't wait to start having some fun. Some days it really gets to her.

Have a good time watching Amanda really enjoying life again. You all deserve that big time!!!
                        Melissa

Comment

• That's great news Shirley. Is she completely fused? I'm so anxious now to see Sheena's new xrays and to see if any of her restrictions will be lifted (not that they interfere with her lifestyle). Maybe you can hold off on the roller coasters until summer, you should feel a lot better about it by then.

Have a good spring break!

Comment

• Melissa, i'm glad nicole's appointment is just around the corner. i hope they give her the ok to dance again at this appointment.

Shirley, that's wonderful she was given full clearance for activities!

Has anyone heard from Gerbo? I was wondering how Lisanna was doing and if he went ahead with a Cheaneaux brace (i spelled it wrong, I'm sure)
                            daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                            -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                            -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                            -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• Six Flags

Sherie, Melissa, and Jill,

Thanks for your replies. Yes the doctor said no restrictions. She asked last visit on when she could do rollercoasters and they said not yet, but not this time. She felt his saying bunge jumping was ok if we said so meant rollercoasters should be ok. I think he figured she wouldn't do anything daredevil. We told her to ask him if that is what she wanted. Well she tells me this evening that Six Flags opens this Saturday, March 1st, and is asking about season passes. I hope no friends ask. She has one who already renewed before the park closed after Christmas. I work weekends, so we wouldn't go, and I doubt dad would take her or her sister, so we will cross the hurdle when she is asked to go. I am going to try to have her hold off as long as possible on rollercoasters. That is really the only thing that she is asking, and otherwise doesn't have anything I would worry about. In fact, I hope she will be more active as time goes on. I am having to push her a little, and I we will be swimming a lot this summer, as that is the plan.
                              Last edited by Mom37; 02-26-2008, 11:47 PM. Reason: add
                              Shirley

Comment

• Has anyone heard from Gerbo?
                                I have, seeing him in the mirror on a daily basis.

Re Cheneaux; seems to be a non starter, consultant not particularly encouraging and L and wife not keen. Currently feel might have to bow to inevitable future surgery, although I am still trying to change course of history with some exercises and osteopath input. Not hopeful though. Demoralised? a bit!

gerbo
                                Last edited by gerbo; 03-24-2012, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X