spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RugbyLaura View Post
    It seems that Dr Deutschman's digital protractor is not the only one....

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...4683#post64683
    Laura,

It's tough to tell whether you're being contrary or tongue in cheek, so bear with me.

I don't think anyone questioned whether one existed or not, or whether anyone uses one or not (personally, I don't care). The point was "what is the *point* of measuring to 1/10th of a degree", when, as Sharon said, a slight change in posture makes it totally useless.

When accepted margin of error is ±5°, it's an absolutely bogus, misleading figure.

KAlong has 2 posts (both today), and she hasn't said WHO the doctor is in either one. For all *I* know, it IS Deutschman, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it's the skater providing some backup for her 1/10th of a degree claim!

Regards,
    Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

• Tongue in cheek and contrary. Just my British sense of humour; so often misunderstood here

The thought had crossed my mind that it might be someone with the very same "doctor" or could be another plant - the timing seems rather coincidental.

Just wanted to share...
      UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
      10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
      Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• #3 coming off in the night...

Does anyone have experience with any of their straps coming undone in the night? lately Halle has been waking up in the night or the morning with #3 undone and that one is the most important strap for her, it does the most pull. What do they do when this starts to happen? i am going to contact Dr. Rivard but I just wanted to see if anyone has experience with this anyway.
        Marlowe mom to Halle (age 11)
        Diagnosed January 11/08
        In Spinecor Brace for 2 1/2 years

In the Cheneau Brace for 10 months
        Being treated at Sick Kids Hospital - Dr. Reinhard Zeller

Surgery Scheduled at Sick Kids for May 16, 2011

http://hallesscoliosis.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Hi Marlowe,

Immy's #3 strap has come undone at night 4 -5 times during the 1st 12 months in brace.

Since having new straps (the ones with 2 snaps) this has not happened.

Laura
          UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
          10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.

Comment

• MJB, A few months after Katie got her brace her #1 would unsnap periodically. Over the next few weeks it became more frequent and the #3 started to unsnap. I think sometimes the snaps lose their "strength" (like babies' outfits sometimes do over time) They told me I could take it to take it to a shoemaker to have the snaps replaced (which apparently is a pretty simple procedure). We were a couple weeks away from an appointment and I didn't make it to the shoemaker before so they replaced the snaps (but not the straps) for me up in Montreal during the visit - it only took them a few minutes to do it. Fortunately it has been 5 months and I haven't had that problem again, but I'm sure it will pop up from time to time. If you have the snaps replaced and they still pop, then I would wonder if she grew and the straps need adjusting.

Good luck!
            daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
            -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
            -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
            -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• It's actually happened a few times with us; we've got a great shoemaker in town, who just replaces it, while we wait, as good as new $4.00 later . . . .
              p

Comment

• Originally posted by RugbyLaura View Post
                Hi Marlowe,

Immy's #3 strap has come undone at night 4 -5 times during the 1st 12 months in brace.

Since having new straps (the ones with 2 snaps) this has not happened.

Laura

Halle's straps have 2 snaps but she still seems to have them come undone in the night... I haven't contacted Dr. Rivard yet, I still need to.
                Diagnosed January 11/08

Comment

• Originally posted by jillw View Post
                  MJB, A few months after Katie got her brace her #1 would unsnap periodically. Over the next few weeks it became more frequent and the #3 started to unsnap. I think sometimes the snaps lose their "strength" (like babies' outfits sometimes do over time) They told me I could take it to take it to a shoemaker to have the snaps replaced (which apparently is a pretty simple procedure). We were a couple weeks away from an appointment and I didn't make it to the shoemaker before so they replaced the snaps (but not the straps) for me up in Montreal during the visit - it only took them a few minutes to do it. Fortunately it has been 5 months and I haven't had that problem again, but I'm sure it will pop up from time to time. If you have the snaps replaced and they still pop, then I would wonder if she grew and the straps need adjusting.

Good luck!
                  Thanks Jill! Well we see Dr. Rivard in a month from now, so I think I may wait and see if they change them.
                  Diagnosed January 11/08

Comment

• Originally posted by MJB View Post
                    Does anyone have experience with any of their straps coming undone in the night? lately Halle has been waking up in the night or the morning with #3 undone and that one is the most important strap for her, it does the most pull. What do they do when this starts to happen? i am going to contact Dr. Rivard but I just wanted to see if anyone has experience with this anyway.
                    We had that happen and we had to have the strap replaced. Someone else mentioned to us they replaced the snap on the body. They can wear out. It was our major strap that had the most pull. Best wishes.
                    Last edited by Mom37; 09-17-2008, 07:04 AM. Reason: add
                    Shirley
                    Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

• My daughter was having trouble with this after they changed her strap positions at her first in-brace x-ray. When I called about it our ortho said he could put a new snap in if it kept doing it but to try switching the order she snapped on the straps. Sure enough that did the trick. Off the top of my head I can't remember the #'s but say she used to snap #2 on the them #4 over it and she just reversed the order.

Comment

• Would you believe it? #3 came undone last night! First time in months.

I measured Immi this morning & she has grown about 3cm since her last appointment. Growing like a weed at the moment.

Next appointment 4th October.

Comment

• Hi Everyone! We are new to the group..... my daughter was fitted with SpineCor on Thursday (Sept. 25/08), so she is still getting used to it. It is her 1st brace of any kind. She is 9 yrs old and had an out of brace xray of T26 degrees. Her inbrace xray was 17 degrees. Have any of your girls had problems with the leg bands rubbing? If so, what do you do about them? How tight are they supposed to be? This seems to be the only annoying part of the brace for her so far. We go back to Montreal Oct 23rd. It is a 9 hour drive for us. Any suggestions for us? Everything is so new!!!!! Thanks in advance! I'm sure I'll be talking to all of you lots in the future.

Stacy
                          CAmomof2

July 07 - T 26*
                          Aug 08 - curve now 22*
                          Sept 08 - SpineCor Brace (in brace 17*) Ste. Justine
                          March 09 - in brace 14*
                          Aug 09 - in brace 14* / MRI normal
                          Feb 10 - in brace 18* - had an oob xray - now 35*
                          June 10 Considered VBS T 32*, L 27* , Stopped SpineCor brace
                          Sept 10 T 38*, L 26*
                          April 11 T 45*, L 31*
                          July 11 T 51*, L 37*
                          MIS SURGERY - NOV 28, 2011 / Age 12 / Fused T4 - T12

Comment

• Welcome to the group!

The legs bands did bother my daughter at first but she adjusted. The leg bands do still bother her when she has to run the mile at school. Rita at bodysuit.com is suppose to be working on making a suit with shorts built in but I haven't heard from her on how it is going. Her ortho said that is the part that he gets complaints about not the straps as you would think. Jen has a pair of bike/dance shorts that she wears sometimes but they are not practical for every day use for going to the restroom.

Your daughter will probably adjust to them in a couple of days unless she is exercising and then they might rub her. Hang in there, those first few days can be tough on the child and the parents. Take care.

Kathy
                            Last edited by Jenmom; 09-29-2008, 07:40 PM. Reason: typed something wrong

Comment

• I just got an email from Rita at bodysuit.com and she said she got the sample back with the shorts built in. She said she wants to change it just a tad but it is only a couple of weeks away from it being able to be ordered. Here is her email address if anyone wants to email her I am sure she would let you know when they are available. Rita Sommerer <rita@ptidistribution.com>

My daughter will be glad to get one for when she has to run the mile at school.

Kathy
                              Last edited by Jenmom; 09-29-2008, 07:39 PM. Reason: typed something wrong

Comment

• Thanks Kathy (Jenmom) for your reply. It's nice to feel that someone else understands what you are going through.
                                Thanks too for the info on the bodysuit. Could you please let us know when you get one if your daughter likes it or not. I had my mother shorten the crotch part of the spinecor bodysuit as it seemed too long on my daughter, and it was always shifting around on her bottom! It seems to be better - less complaints anyway! Yay!

Stacy
                                CAmomof2

July 07 - T 26*
                                Aug 08 - curve now 22*
                                Sept 08 - SpineCor Brace (in brace 17*) Ste. Justine
                                March 09 - in brace 14*
                                Aug 09 - in brace 14* / MRI normal
                                Feb 10 - in brace 18* - had an oob xray - now 35*
                                June 10 Considered VBS T 32*, L 27* , Stopped SpineCor brace
                                Sept 10 T 38*, L 26*
                                April 11 T 45*, L 31*
                                July 11 T 51*, L 37*
                                MIS SURGERY - NOV 28, 2011 / Age 12 / Fused T4 - T12

Comment

Working...
                                X